NETIO.SYS BSOD

Go to solution Solved by dcollins,

25 minutes ago, dcollins said:

This issue is from the Web Protection driver. If you disable Web Protection, the issue should go away. Downgrading to 3.4.5 should also work as it uses an older version of the driver that doesn't have this issue.

I just got a BSOD minutes ago.  I'm just going to downgrade to 3.4.5.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good afternoon. Let me start out by thanking you for providing your feedback on these blue screen issues with Malwarebytes. We are still trying to track down the root cause of the issue, but need a bit more information if possible. Specifically, can you please try the following:
1. Make sure you are on Malwarebytes 3.5.1 with Component Package version 1.0.374. You can check this under Settings -> About inside of Malwarebytes.
2. Disable the Web Protection, but leave all other protection modules enabled. You can do this under Settings -> Protection.
3. Use your computer normally and let us know if you get a blue screen or not.

Thanks for your feedback and patience while we work through this issue.

2 hours ago, hopper15 said:

I just got a BSOD minutes ago.  I'm just going to downgrade to 3.4.5.

I unchecked web protection only, left the others checked on Saturday after a BSOD. I haven't had one since, but I'm not confident I won't. I've had 3 BSOD since June 15th. Looking back, I was watching/listening to a show on Youtube at the time or had one paused in another tab. I swear I read something before I found this thread that this netio.sys crash may have been caused by an outdated video driver, however mine is shown to be the best available driver. I haven't watched any youtube videos since and frankly I'm not willing to risk it yet.

As for reverting back to 3.4.5, wouldn't I have uninstall the current version? Saying revert back almost sounds like one could just apply that version without doing a uninstall. Or it could just be my understanding of terms used.

Edited by 1776blues

13 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Good afternoon. Let me start out by thanking you for providing your feedback on these blue screen issues with Malwarebytes. We are still trying to track down the root cause of the issue, but need a bit more information if possible. Specifically, can you please try the following:
1. Make sure you are on Malwarebytes 3.5.1 with Component Package version 1.0.374. You can check this under Settings -> About inside of Malwarebytes.
2. Disable the Web Protection, but leave all other protection modules enabled. You can do this under Settings -> Protection.

Thanks, I did this as I noted recently

I had installed 3.4.5 over the existing 3.5.1  and reinstalled NOD32 from Eset. Seemed to be working ok and then just now I got hit with a BSOD. 

On Mon 6/25/2018 6:59:05 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: eamonm.sys (eamonm+0x11C26)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800034A05D0, 0xFFFFF8800A61EEA0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\eamonm.sys
product: ESET Security
company: ESET
description: Amon monitor
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: eamonm.sys (Amon monitor, ESET).
Google query: eamonm.sys ESET SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

I have disabled ALL MBam shield and have and will keep MBAM from running even with everything disabled.

Edited by frozen

34 minutes ago, frozen said:

I had installed 3.4.5 over the existing 3.5.1  and reinstalled NOD32 from Eset. Seemed to be working ok and then just now I got hit with a BSOD. 

Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: eamonm.sys (Amon monitor, ESET).

I have disabled ALL MBam shield and have and will keep MBAM from running even with everything disabled.

Curious if the BSOD after the installation of 3.4.5 over 3.5.1 could be caused by 3.5.1 entries/commands left in the registry. I'm no expert but this sounds plausible to me. Then again, I'm no expert.....oops I said that already. I''m waiting for the fix......patiently

Edited by 1776blues

The only way I have managed to make it past 2 days (aka 4 days) with MBAM 3.5.4 fully enabled was to uninstall ESET Antivirus. Then stupid me I did not feel that running a Windows7 system with only MBAM alone was sufficient security decided to downgrade 3.4.5 by installing it over top of 3.5.1 and install Eset NOD32. The machine lasted 2 days before a BSOD occurred.

If you still with to run Malwarebytes but want an AV that will function without issues alongside it until this conflict is resolved then you may install Microsoft Security Essentials if you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7 or of course you can just enable Windows Defender if you're running Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.

There are also a few other free alternatives out there that I've heard good things about including the recently released free version of Kaspersky, Avast! and Avira.

Any of those should do the trick until the problem with ESET is resolved so that you may continue to use an AV layer in the meantime if you wish.

12 minutes ago, exile360 said:

If you still with to run Malwarebytes but want an AV that will function without issues alongside it until this conflict is resolved then you may install Microsoft Security Essentials if you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7 or of course you can just enable Windows Defender if you're running Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.

There are also a few other free alternatives out there that I've heard good things about including the recently released free version of Kaspersky, Avast! and Avira.

Any of those should do the trick until the problem with ESET is resolved so that you may continue to use an AV layer in the meantime if you wish.

I have Avast Internet Security and still had 3 BSOD'S since the update I performed on June 14.

It's totally up to you, but either way hopefully the fix for this issue will be released soon.  I haven't heard anything new about the next version yet but I do expect that it won't be too long before it gets released so hopefully you won't have a long wait regardless of what you decide to do.

15 hours ago, frozen said:

Note - this isn't the same BSOD and seems to be related to ESET, not MBAM. I run these two side by side but I installed ESET first. It might be worth completely uninstalling both MBAM (as seuggested by the other posts) and ESET. Then reinstall ESET first, followed by MBAM 3.4.5 and make sure both apps have exclusions for each other.

Believe me I have been dealing with these BSOD for almost a month now and its MBAM interacting with other software not just Eset. I lost count on how many times I have seen Windows7 BSOD. Sometimes these BSOD have no reference to Eset whatsoever . Both of Eset and MBAM worked fine for months without any exclusions and others here have BSOD and they do not even have ESET installed. As with all software testing one should not change multiple items/settings as that does not help indicate what has fixed the issue. Currently using MBAM 3.5.1 without web protection and ESET without any exclusions for each other. The BSOD may take several days before it occurs on this Windows7 computer.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:09 PM, dcollins said:

This worked for me, however I am very uncomfortable with this sate of protection.  Is there no ETA yet as to a fix?