Glad I found this thread.  I've been getting a wide variety of BSOD over the past several weeks and was just about to reinstall when I decided to check this forum.  I did the usual troubleshooting updating device drivers, testing memory, sfc and dism, and so on.  Why did I forget that Malwarebytes caused me a similar problem in the past?  It's now my prime suspect going forward whenever I get BSOD.

OK I've turned off web protection and so far things seem OK.  I'm running 3.5.1.2522.

I was getting several BSOD a day just surfing the web with Chrome, no other apps running.  I don't run an anti-virus, just Malwarebytes.

It's horrifying that this has gone unresolved for nearly 2 full months now.

Yes, in the same boat, as I mentioned in another thread, I have been tearing my hair out for 7 weeks, at least I now know it is definitely MWB that is the cause of my BSOD's. for a premium product it is taking a damn long time to fix.  I have now uninstalled MWB pending a fix.

The Beta worked here.  I ran it for 12 hours under the same conditions that would trigger the BSOD in under 10 minutes with the pre-Beta, with no adverse effects.  Looks like you guys nailed it. Thanks!

Edited by Signal5
punctuation is everything...

I was able to trigger a BSOD on demand with the problematic version.

Since installing the beta ( mb3-setup-consumer-3.5.1.2522-1.0.418 ) everything has been stable.

Thanks!

Ok chaps, how do I get the latest beta, I do not like running my machine without this protection

11 minutes ago, Exfso said:

Ok chaps, how do I get the latest beta, I do not like running my machine without this protection

Looks like the process for manually upgrading to the latest beta release is explained here.

11 minutes ago, Exfso said:

not sure if it has installed, still showing version 3.5.1.2522

I'm not using it myself yet, but according to post #255 above the beta which seems to have solved the BSOD issue is "mb3-setup-consumer-3.5.1.2522-1.0.418".

Looks like you have to have the beta setting enabled to get it.

Edited by bill_k

Here is how you identify whether or not you have the beta.  Since it is a Component Update, not a full release, only the Component package version changes which can be verified under Settings>About as illustrated and highlighted in the image below:

Beta.png.60e41b89d51aa577dd3dd3454348ee1f.png

No problem, hopefully the BSOD issue will finally be resolved with the beta.  This bug has lingered for far too long and I know you guys have been waiting for a fix for a long time.

Yes, I must admit I was beginning to wonder if it would ever be resolved. Now we just monitor it and trust it has been fixed.?

Hi, I have downloaded the beta.  I uninstalled the regular version first, then clean booted.  Then I installed the beta.  The current status shows:

FWIW, the OLDER non-beta version, even with the real-time web turned off did BSOD in NETIO.SYS right before I did this... Was using Firefox.  It had been a while but I figured it was a sign to go ahead and load the beta!   Thanks!

1 hour ago, rickmb said:

@dcollins thanks very much, I've installed the beta.  If I don't post again, all is well.

Why did it take 2 months to fix this?

Hey @rickmb, I think that MB's situation is not unlike that of other software developers in that they cannot always replicate the conditions customer's experience in the field.  This was why they enlisted our help it testing and gathering data.  Just my 2¢

There were a few different factors that made fixing this take so long as I understand it (bear in mind I have no direct internal info from the Devs so this is just based on what I have heard from the staff publicly).  First, they did have trouble replicating the issue so they had to rely only on data collected from affected users and it can be time consuming trying to track down the exact cause of a crash in a driver via info pulled from crash dumps as they don't always indicate exactly why a particular driver crashed, just that it did crash.  They also believed they had it fixed a couple of builds back, but it turned out that the fix they implemented did not correct the issue being addressed by this latest beta (though it did correct other crashes some users were having) and once they discovered that fix did not correct this issue for all users, they had to go back to the drawing board, scouring the code once more to try to track down the cause.  They also didn't want to lose any functionality, and while they obviously don't want to crash anyone's systems, there were changes made recently to the Web Protection component which expanded its capabilities, and it was most likely this area of the code that they had to fix to eliminate the BSOD, but doing so without losing that new functionality may have proved tricky (basically, a few releases back they implemented more specific URL blocking in the Web Protection component, and it is my personal hypothesis that this change is where the BSODs started, but since Research needed this new code to be able to provide the best protection possible and to cut down on false positives, the Devs had to find a way to fix the BSOD issue without sacrificing these new enhanced features).

Much of that is just my own theory though, so please take it with a grain of salt.  But I do know from past first-hand experience having worked QA myself in the past and having worked directly with the Malwarebytes Devs on bugs and issues that it can sometimes take a long time to track down the cause of an issue, especially without a lot of data and no ability to replicate the issue on our own test systems (this means for example that the Devs couldn't just put together a debug build to pass to the QA team to document the issue more thoroughly to reveal the cause of the problem more quickly, something they will often do with such issues when QA is able to replicate a bug on their own systems).

I've gotten this like twice so far and that was only because I tried opening the Battle.net App while Malwarebytes is running.

I'm running on version 3.5.1.2252
My Component Package is at version 1.0.391

The Update package is at version 1.0.6311

4 hours ago, Big_Shrieking said:

I prefer to install a stable version if I can help it. Do you have an estimate when the above fix would be implemented in a stable version?

It depends on how long testing takes.  That's the purpose of beta testing, to find bugs before releasing it as a final build so while it shouldn't be too long, it does depend on how testing goes for the beta because if new issues are found in the beta, then that would delay the release since the Developers would need to fix it first and put it through another full testing cycle prior to releasing it (they must test every change to the code fully to check for bugs/issues prior to releasing it in a final build).  So QA is testing it, and now of course it is also available for public testing, and as far as I've heard it's gone well so far so I don't expect it to be too much longer, assuming it continues to go well.

3 hours ago, alaz21 said:

I've gotten this like twice so far and that was only because I tried opening the Battle.net App while Malwarebytes is running.

The Update package is at version 1.0.6311

Yes, component package version 1.0.391 is the last affected build by this BSOD issue.  The beta should fix the problem.  If you would like to install the beta then open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Application and scroll down the tab until you find the option for Beta Application Updates and enable it/switch it to On, then scroll back up near the top of the same tab and click on the Install Application Updates button.  That should have Malwarebytes download and install the beta for you.  Once that's done you shouldn't see the BSOD any more when you run Battle.net.

Hi there,

My PC crashed on windows 10, BSOD.

"On Sun 12/08/2018 23:31:48 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x8E13)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xB0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80BD401057A)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mwac.sys
product: Malwarebytes Web Protection
company: Malwarebytes
description: Malwarebytes Web Protection
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes).
Google query: mwac.sys Malwarebytes DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I to used Blizzard client and it crashed the PC. The thing is I installed windows 10 fresh due to this issue and yesterday I used Blizzard client without any issues but today zzzzzzt lock up.

The Update package is at version 1.0.6315.

Edited by bobbydigital