I currently have MBAM still installed here but all options disabled from loading. Today I had 2 BSOD which did not point to any specific cause. These BSOD occurred while I was away from the computer. All this time I had Eset Security 11.2.49 installed. Today I uninstalled it and switched to another security product. I have not yet fully removed MBAM entirely and had a pressing deadline item to attend to today. I have yet given any thought on downloading this test version of MBAM since this system is still not stable and I have no idea if it is MBAM still causing it. Both of these BSOD were while Chrome was loaded although MBAM extension was loaded. It has since been deactivated. I want to see if this system is stable or not before I start adding any other software to it.

Edited by frozen

@frozen did you also disable Self-Protection under Settings -> Protection?

@jcgriff2 our drivers do unload fully from Windows when you disable them (assuming they disable properly and nothing else interferes with them). After unloading, you should be able to query the stack and see that we are not in it any longer. T hat's not to say that what you're seeing isn't part of the issue though

Edited by dcollins

9 minutes ago, dcollins said:

@frozen did you also disable Self-Protection under Settings -> Protection?

Self protection was enabled. I disabled it. The thing is I have changed 3 things now today so if the system here stabilizes I will not have any idea if one of these 3 changes helped.

I still am not running any MBAM protection but the next step would be a total cleanse of the system to see if it is indeed causing these BSOD even though MBAM is not have any of its modules enabled for several weeks now.

I feel badly for all of those out there that are having to disable the entire product to avoid the BSOD's.  As for me, I simply have the 'Web Protection' option disabled and everything else left on.  No BSOD's since.

I know it's still not optimal, but it is a bit better than nothing.

1 hour ago, Signal5 said:

I feel badly for all of those out there that are having to disable the entire product to avoid the BSOD's.  As for me, I simply have the 'Web Protection' option disabled and everything else left on.  No BSOD's since.

I know it's still not optimal, but it is a bit better than nothing.

Yes, it did fix the BSOD problem, but not the main problem itself.

Premium subscriber and new here.... with the netio.sys blue screens problem.

Having read thru the posts I, too, reverted to version 3.4.5 as some users have after running the MWB removal tool and had no blue screens. However even with the option set to OFF to allow full version updates I'm still getting repetitive nags to update to the newest (3.5.1) version.

Last night I decided to let it update and within the first hour got a netio.sys blue screen. I removed MWB (using the removal tool) and reinstalled 3.4.5 but I'm getting the update nags again with the full version update option set to OFF.

A previous post reply from MWB support stated setting the full version update to OFF would stop the update nag .... but doesn't. What am I missing here?

Hello Wayover50, 

Thank you so much for trying to work around this issue sir. Have you tried deleting the installerUpdate folder? It shouldn't nag you at all after that, you should be able to run 3.4.5 normally from then on: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2465 I am hoping that helps and I apologize for the inconvenient experience our product is giving you. 

Ladies and gentlemen, our engineers are working very actively to find a solution to this problem and will be doing so during the weekend. Thank you so much for your patience and your cooperation. We will reach out as soon as we can.

-Erix

Well I am running that beta build to try to help out here with that issue to provide more data. So far with MBAM all enabled no BSOD for about 3 days but as past experience is any indication that does not mean much. Will submit any memory dumps should they occur

2 hours ago, frozen said:

Well I am running that beta build to try to help out here with that issue to provide more data. So far with MBAM all enabled no BSOD for about 3 days but as past experience is any indication that does not mean much. Will submit any memory dumps should they occur

I have to admire your patience and diligence, the MB user community will benefit and I'd like to give you my thanks for your continued effort. ?

Well, so much for trying to get rid of the update nag running the older 3.4.5 version.

First problem I ran into was being denied the ability to delete the instlrupdate folder. After over an hour trying to figure out why as system administrator I was prevented from deleting the folder, as it turns out you can't delete the folder with MWB running.

So with MWB now shut down I was now able to delete the instlrupdate folder. At last success!!! ....... WRONG.

When I started MWB (ver. 3.4.5) again up pops the miserable update nag ... with no instlrupdate folder ....

Edited by wayover50

20 minutes ago, wayover50 said:

Well, so much for trying to get rid of the update nag running the older 3.4.5 version.

First problem I ran into was being denied the ability to delete the instlrupdate folder. After over an hour trying to figure out why as system administrator I was prevented from deleting the folder, as it turns out you can't delete the folder with MWB running.

So with MWB now shut down I was now able to delete the instlrupdate folder. At last success!!! ....... WRONG.

When I started MWB (ver. 3.4.5) again up pops the miserable update nag ... with no instlrupdate folder ....

Wrong again. The update nag is back ... along with the instlrupdate folder. Apparently restarting MWB recreates the instlrupdate folder. So my choices are continue with the nags with the older 3.4.5 version - or - just remove MWB until such time as a fix is found for the netio.sys blue screens.

I have opted for the latter ... MWB is off my system rather than put up with the update nags.

Just to make sure as I haven't read the entire thread here, but did you also be sure to set the following two circled options to Off prior to deleting the folder?:

Updates.png.4743010867ac1f2d92da43a5bf1402ee.png

Also, if you open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Protection and disable the Enable self-protection module option under Startup Options you should be able to delete the folder even if Malwarebytes is running (self-protection prevents any of Malwarebytes files, folders and processes from being modified or deleted).

If you already have Malwarebytes configured this way then you may disregard this post, I'm just hoping it might be helpful.

OK, appreciate the additional information exile360.

I thought the "install component updates" referred to the security updates. It's now turned off along with the version updates.

Disabling self protection did indeed allow deleting the instlrupdate folder while MWB is running.

So, now it's wait to see if the update nags have ceased .... hopefully yes .... and still with the malware protection afforded by MWB.

You're welcome, I hope that it works.  I'm truly sorry that you've had to go through all of this and I hope that the Developers are finally able to fix this issue soon so that you may use the latest version without risking any BSODs.

Also, if you haven't yet, you might consider installing the browser extension linked to in my signature if you use Chrome (or any other Chromium based browser) or Firefox because then at least your browser will still be shielded from the same web threats as the latest version of Malwarebytes, plus it blocks some things that Malwarebytes currently can't even in its latest iteration thanks to some nifty new behavior based tech built into the extension.

I deleted the instlrupdate folder and upgrade alerts still happen. Strangely the instlrupdate folder is some how back after I deleted it earlier today.

Edited by hopper15

Did you also disable the two settings highlighted in this post?  If not, then do so, then delete the folder once more, then restart your computer and hopefully the alerts will not return.

36 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Did you also disable the two settings highlighted in this post?  If not, then do so, then delete the folder once more, then restart your computer and hopefully the alerts will not return.

For some reason every time I disable those settings they automatically enable again the very next time I open MB.

OK, then that must be the problem.

First, make certain you are logged into Windows as an administrative user, otherwise the settings in Malwarebytes might not stick.

If that doesn't work, then do the following from an administrative user account and try disabling those settings again and hopefully this time they are retained:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options on the main page (not Get Started)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall version 3.4.5 from here

If you had to do the reinstall then perform the procedure once more of disabling those settings and if necessary, deleting that folder (be sure to disable self-protection in order to be able to delete the folder while Malwarebytes is running, otherwise it won't let you) then restart the computer and see if the settings now stick and the prompts are no longer displayed.

19 hours ago, exile360 said:

You're welcome, I hope that it works.  I'm truly sorry that you've had to go through all of this and I hope that the Developers are finally able to fix this issue soon so that you may use the latest version without risking any BSODs.

Also, if you haven't yet, you might consider installing the browser extension linked to in my signature if you use Chrome (or any other Chromium based browser) or Firefox because then at least your browser will still be shielded from the same web threats as the latest version of Malwarebytes, plus it blocks some things that Malwarebytes currently can't even in its latest iteration thanks to some nifty new behavior based tech built into the extension.

I use Firefox. Thanks for the tip ... now have the MWB browser extension enabled.

Neglected to add - so far no more update nags running 3.4.5 following your info!

Edited by wayover50

Excellent, I'm glad the notifications are finally gone :) 

Enjoy that browser extension, I've been using it myself on both SRWare Iron (a Chromium based alternative to Google Chrome without all the Google stuff) as well as Firefox and I've found it to be most effective, especially against tech support scam sites/pop-ups (one of the most common web based scams/threats these days).

After a few very annoying weeks I discovered this thread, I'm a victim too, keeping a close eye on the developments.

I have had many BSOD Netio.sys these last weeks, without knowing why and what to do. Then I found this thread, turn off all web agents. No BSOD since a week. Hope this problem will be solved soon. No need to pay for a service I can't use. Can somebody tell me if I must change for the old version of Malwarebytes or wait with the last one without web protection. I saw Malwarebytes browser for Firefox...but it's a beta version does it works fine? I'm a bit lost and want to avoid any new BSOD. Thank you for your help.

Yes, you may keep the latest version with Web Protection disabled.  I've been using the beta browser extension for several months now and it's been great, I highly recommend it.