BSOD from new Malwarebytes?

I recently had a BSOD. Some of the info from it was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and NETIO.SYS.  (BTW I haven't had a BSOD in a long time.)

I googled it and somebody said it probably has to do with antimalware.

Since half an hour before I had allowed Malwarebytes to update to a new version of the program it does seem possible to be the cause. 

Thoughts?  Should I go back to the previous version?

Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
    Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

Can you see if you have a memory dump available at C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. If you do, please zip that file and then use wetransfer.com to generate a download link for it. This will help us rule out if it's Malwarebytes causing the issue or not.

Hi, unfortunately, all I have is the Minidump.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem!   It started about a week ago - happened twice over several days.  This afternoon it occurred 3 times in a row.  Several days ago, I had a Dell tech run diagnostics on my hardware and Windows 7 but everything came up clean.  The BSOD does NOT mention any file or executable - just that something is causing a problem.

I've downloaded the Malwarebytes Support Tool but can't run it without a ticket number.  But I don't see any way to open a ticket.  Can you help?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, mwcrumjr said:

I'm having the same problem!   It started about a week ago - happened twice over several days.  This afternoon it occurred 3 times in a row.  Several days ago, I had a Dell tech run diagnostics on my hardware and Windows 7 but everything came up clean.  The BSOD does NOT mention any file or executable - just that something is causing a problem.

I've downloaded the Malwarebytes Support Tool but can't run it without a ticket number.  But I don't see any way to open a ticket.  Can you help?

Thanks!

You have to click on Advanced Options... instructions below...

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
      Reveal hidden contents

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

1 minute ago, mwcrumjr said:

Thanks for getting back so quickly.  I found out how to create a ticket, downloaded the Malwarebytes Support Tool and sent the results to the Support Team.  Hope they can correct the problem quickly.

Your welcome, glad you figured it out... hope the team gets back to you quickly with a solution.

Update and additional information on BSOD  "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"

I've determined that the problem started after I updated Malwarebytes Pro from Version 3.4.5 to 3.5.1 on 5/31/2018.  At first everything was fine.  But then last Tuesday I got my first BSOD.  I had never had a BSOD with this system so I was really shocked.   It happened again the next day.  I contacted Dell Support.  They ran diagnostics on my hardware and had me run Windows 7 System File Checker (sfc /scannow).  Both were completely clean.  The Dell tech suggested a System Restore - which failed.  They also told me to check all apps that had been updated recently.  I was in that process when I found this Forum and discovered that others were having BSOD problems with Malwarebytes.  I raised a ticket with Malwarebytes Support and sent them results from the Malwarebytes Support Tool on Friday but haven't heard back yet. 

Meanwhile, late Friday afternoon I got 3 BSODs in a row within 30 minutes.  I turned off Malwarebytes completely - no BSODs.   Another BSOD thread said the problem seems to be with Real Time Protection so I tried running Malwarebytes with Real Time Protection turned off.  I've been running that way since ever since and haven't had any more BSODs.    

Someone else mentioned that reverting to Version 3.4.5 solves the problem.  I found 2 sites that have older versions:  Filehorse.com and UpToDown.com.  Are they safe?  Would installing an older version of Malwarebytes invalidate my Pro License? 

Other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Exile360:  Thanks!  I hadn't found that site so it's good to know it's safe.  I had read somewhere that UpToDown.com was safe too but you can't be too careful these days.  Plus, I don't have active protection right now so I'm even more wary than usual.  I also don't want to violate my Malwarebytes Pro License and I'm not sure if installing an older version from one of these sites would conflict in any way with my existing install.  I'll wait to hear from the Support Team before doing anything.  They've been very responsive in the past but that was years ago.     

Exile360:  Thanks so much for this information - it eases my mind a lot.   I bought a perpetual license in 2009.  They no longer offer these so I don't want to do anything that could mess that up.  This is the first time I've experienced any problems with MWB and therefore the first time I've ever posted here.  Good to know there are knowledgeable users like you on this forum in case I run into problems in the future.  

Exile360:  I couldn't agree more.  Let me explain.  When I replaced my old PC with a new one in 2016, I assumed the old license couldn't be transferred to the new machine so I purchased a 2-year Pro license for the new one.  About 6 months later, I happened to check my MWB account and discovered I had 2 licenses - the lifetime and the 2-year.  I emailed the support team and asked them if I really needed both.  They immediately responded and told me no, I didn't need both - I could transfer the Lifetime license to the new machine.  They also offered to refund the fee for the 2-year subscription if I didn't need it.  I wrote back and told them I didn't need both so they cancelled the 2-year license and I got my credit in a few days.  I couldn't believe there were still companies that treated their customers this way.  I cannot remember the last time I was this impressed by a company's customer service.   Sort of restores my faith in humanity. 

Yep, that's precisely what I would expect of them.  I worked for Malwarebytes for around 8 years and it was the best job I ever had, not only because I enjoyed the work, but also because I was part of something I truly believed in, working for a company that believes that helping others is more important than profits and that dealing honestly with people matters more than the bottom line and that a good reputation will compensate for any losses that might be accrued by being honest, fair and doing the right thing and so far it seems to be working because Malwarebytes has become more popular and profitable than it has ever been and much of that is thanks to word of mouth from the users and customers that run the software and have had experiences interacting with the great people in this organization.

I just had another BSOD "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" - it said it was caused by netio.sys.  This is the first one I've had since disabling Real Time Protection several days ago.  I've now quit Malwarebytes completely.  I have not heard back from Malwarebytes Support. 

I have been getting these same BSOD's for a little while (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and NETIO.SYS) which for some reason only seem to happen when I am using Chrome (Firefox is my main browser but there are some things that Chrome seems better at).

After Googling this error (and before finding this page) I found someone in a forum who was recommended to remove his ASUS utilities. I was running ASUS utilities so I removed those. Another forum told someone the problem was with Internet Download Manager. I have IDM, I didn't remove it but I removed all links between it and Chrome. Then I discovered this thread by accident and realised the issues started (probably coincidentally) about the same time I disabled MBAM's self-protection after another MBAM thread suggested this as a workaround for an explorer/mouse related issue.

I'm not sure I want to do any experiments as it takes upwards of 30 mins to recover from a BSOD as I like to chkdsk my drives first and I don't have an SSD to boot from so the whole process is sloooow, but I'm wondering if others who have this issue have any of the other software items I mentioned above in addition to MBAM. This may be some sort of odd conflict rather than the fault of one particular program.

I haven't yet rebooted after removing everything, I will do that when I can face another reboot and I haven't changed the MBAM self-protection setting back, but I have disabled Chrome for now until I find out what is causing the issue. I would be interested to know if @mwcrumjr downgraded from 3.5.1 to 3.4.5 and if so if the issue went away.