Forum shows as containing unread topic after topic has been moved

Apparently it has been fixed, at least as far as IPS is concerned.  If you wait at least 24 hours after the thread was moved, the area where the thread was originally should then behave normally, showing all topics as read.  Unfortunately this doesn't do me any good because it is impractical and basically useless for an area to reflect an inaccurate status for any length of time, especially an entire day, so I'll just have to keep marking each area where this occurs as read over and over again, being careful to check the area manually each time to make sure there are no new posts/threads that I'm accidentally marking as read until the moved thread 'expires' which means I'm basically back where I started when I originally reported the issue because their solution doesn't actually address my problem.

Edited by exile360

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

I understand, but as an example in this very forum. This topic was moved 4 hours ago. So by around 7PM PST tomorrow the icon should go away and the unread indicator should also go away.

image.png

All posts have been read by me including the link the "trojan in mb" goes to but as mentioned the Forum unread indicator is still on as shown below. As long as no new posts, topics are made and not read by me the system should automatically remove the unread indicator. If it does not then I will once again report it to IPS support.

image.png

Trojan in mb links to here:

Yes, I've verified that it works as documented.  Once you wait the given length of time it takes on the appropriate status.  Unfortunately it doesn't resolve the issue for which I reported the problem in the first place.  I'd like to have a word with their Product Managers about what it means to address a customer's issue vs making things function the way that they believe they should.  The point of the bug report wasn't to get it to function as it does now, it was to report the fact that areas of the forums report inaccurate status, which they still do, however now they're just on a timer so that it isn't permanent.  Either way I still have to mark the whole thing as read each time it happens in order to get anything useful out of the function.

• Root Admin

The "original" bug was that you could not mark it as read period even if you wanted to. Now you can if you so choose to do so.

I view it sort of like any software program.  One can always report or discuss what they want but that does not always mean the vendor agrees and will make a change.

• Root Admin

Actually it does appear to be broken. It has now been over 24 hours. The link about the topic move should be gone now but it's still here.

image.png

I have read ALL of the topics in this section of the forum so this indicator should not be showing that I have unread topics

image.png

I will report this to IPS

To actually fix this they should just have so that if you click on the link to the moved topic to view it, if that was the only 'new' content preventing the area from showing as read then doing so should mark the entire area as read.  This is my main issue with this function.  There is no reason for an area to show as containing unread content when I have viewed every single topic in that area, including any 'moved' threads that are still linked there.  It is bad UX and doesn't make sense, period.

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Reply from IPS support:  The issue you describe has been corrected in our upcoming 4.5 release

Awesome, I sure hope so.

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I suppose the bigger issue is why does it keep getting broken? This is now like the 3rd time they've had to fix this issue.

No idea, but it seems we've had an almost endless string of bugs and UX issues ever since they switched to the new software/interface.  I guess the old format (when everything was BBCode rather than HTML based) was pretty dated/not very 'modern', but it seems all of that modern convenience has come at a price.  I hope that at least this new software is more secure than the old.

I've found a new bug related to this.  While browsing an area, once I view a thread and then return to the sub-forum where the thread is contained, other threads with new replies which I have not yet viewed are suddenly marked as read.  This has happened multiple times in the past few days and I believe I've seen it before then but it does seem to be happening more frequently now.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird one.  It has happened multiple times now, especially recently, and generally the way I check threads is by accessing the most recent post in each starting with the lowest/oldest in order of when the last reply was (default sort order), and upon returning to the parent area sometimes some of the newer threads will suddenly be marked as read even though they have replies I have not viewed yet.