Malwarebytes not updating On Mac

Malwarebtes 3.3.22 installed but after about 2 weeks dashboard says unprotected, updates required. Only way to update is to uninstall and reload.  Computer only used occasionally and in sleep mode but always on.  When hitting update on dashboard screen it flashes to green and immediately back to yellow.  Will not update from Malwarebytes drop down menu either. My son has it on his Macbook and does not encounter this. problem with auto updates.  Need ideas for fix.

Hi Billk,

If Malwarebytes for Mac is unable to download updates or activate the license, that means that something is blocking its connection to our servers. That may be an outgoing firewall application, such as Little Snitch or Lulu, or it may be similar functionality that is blocking outgoing connection attempts within some other anti-virus software.

You will need to review any such software and ensure it is not blocking connections that Malwarebytes needs to function properly. See page 5 in the user guide:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/guides/Malwarebytes-For-Mac-User-Guide.pdf

• 1 month later...

last night I again found that Malwarebytes  did not have current updates. Uninstalled MWB on 6/20 and reinstalled. Activated license and all was well on 6/27 with a scan.  July 6 again showed that updates were not current. Again uninstalled and reinstalled activated license with no problem. Still good today but did find that there was an update to firefox and the legacy extentions for firefox are no longer accepted by firefox and that new extentions should be added to firefox.  Haven't been able to find what these new extentions are. Anyone have a suggestion ?

• Staff

Bill,

The problem you're seeing definitely sounds like a problem caused by something blocking Malwarebytes' access to the update server. Did you investigate based on the advice 7adityaraj gave yet? If not, do so now.

I can't provide an answer for you regarding the Firefox update. For any Firefox extensions you use, you should consult with the developers of those extensions to make sure they're working on an update.

• 1 month later...

Same problem.  I have the Mac firewall set to allow malwarebytes.com, but I see no way to allow the three different websites listed in the MW docs.  Screenshot shows the firewall, the MW warning that update are not current (which never will update) and the manual page.   Do I need to do something with the firewall that will enable MW to update?  Details please.

mw-updates-firewall.png

PPS, I'm assuming the problem with the code signature got fixed, I ran the checkup as recommended:

codesign -dvvv /Applications/Malwarebytes.app
Executable=/Applications/Malwarebytes.app/Contents/MacOS/Malwarebytes
Identifier=com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.launcher
Format=app bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)
CodeDirectory v=20200 size=551 flags=0x0(none) hashes=9+5 location=embedded
Hash type=sha256 size=32
CandidateCDHash sha1=7185dfb82c2e89798d3696251a800f4a8231b012
CandidateCDHash sha256=92c1a9f030d57883a535dfac3f07121541c96e9b
Hash choices=sha1,sha256
CDHash=92c1a9f030d57883a535dfac3f07121541c96e9b
Signature size=4665
Authority=Developer ID Application: Malwarebytes Corporation (GVZRY6KDKR)
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Signed Time=Aug 6, 2018, 12:18:58 AM
Info.plist entries=25
TeamIdentifier=GVZRY6KDKR
Sealed Resources version=2 rules=13 files=4
Internal requirements count=1 size=232
====
and
====

spctl --assess --verbose=4 /Applications/Malwarebytes.app
/Applications/Malwarebytes.app: accepted