Forum Editor issues with WMV attachments

Posting a MWV has now become cumbersome.  Before the latest Forum update, one could just attach a WMV and place the attacment, as an attachment, anywhere in the body ofthe post.

Now if one places the WMV attachment anywhere in the body it takes a while and tries to embed a content player and play the content and fouls up the ability to edit the Body of the post .

Even if I go back and try to edit the post, the Editor fouls-up.  The Editor Creates the  content player area that does not come-up.  It only displays a content playing toolbar.  It makes editing the Post very problematic.  When the post is made, the attachment shows as an attachment.

There is no reason why a content player should be shown while in the Editor while a completed post does not show a content player but shows the attachment.

I created a demonstration video of the above but dealing with the Editor was such a a PITA that I had to place it in a ZIP and attach the ZIP file instead.

Demonstration.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanx Ron.

I placed the WMV in the body of the post.

While in the editor it creates a Media Player that gets in the way of editing the body of the post.

The Editor should NOT create a Media Player while in the Editor especially when the final post does not display a Media Player.  The WMV should be treated as an attachment without trying to render the content while in the editor.  This beahviour is new and makes creating a post that embeds a WMV within the body of text a real PITA.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

As noted, it's new bahaviour not exhibited in previous versions.

The file should be treated as an attachment and not content to be rendered.  It makes no sense to create a Media Player in the Editor and not show a Media Player upon a completed post.   The Media Player, as an object in the Editor, gets in the way of Post Editing.

• 3 months later...

I gave up testing as I was getting mixed results.   I don't have a MOV nor a MP4.  So I tried video creation, conversions and file extension renaming.  They do point to assumptions on the Forum as to rendering MIME content. 

** The videos should not be treated as content to be rendered.  They should be treated as attachments like they were before.

I gave up when I tried the below ~15MB video

Image.jpg.ade3a818ca8e572df7c75cde3a7122b6.jpg

and I got...

Imagea.jpg.9d8bab896f1682b9a5179a3786b30f9e.jpg

I presume it is not a 29MB post limit but a 29MB thread limit as I can post it in a new thread.

The below is a MP4 I created.

Image.jpg.64bd5c95b28eb3494f1c05d95e00876e.jpg

MP4 in ZIP...

test_02.zip

MP4 directly attached...

Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

• Root Admin

Well I'm the opposite. WMV has almost died out. Every place I go and download the files are .mp4 in almost all cases. Years ago you could easily download WMV, MOV, AVI, ASF, RM etc.

I'll see what I can do about duplicating it and reporting it but may take a while as I have many other things to work on

Thanks, Ron

• 1 month later...

This appears to be partially fixed.

After an attachment is made and the post is Submitted, the WMV is treated as an attachment.

However if you choose to place the WMV ( or other media object )  into the body of the Post, the Editor tries to render the media file creating a Media Player.  That then makes using the editor, unusable.

• 1 month later...

No. 

In IE and Firefox it still tries to render the content with a viewer in the editor and shows an error as unsupported or as unsupported MIME while in the Editor.  However the Forum does show the content as an attachment after the post is made or has been updated.

EDIT:

It is good to have the number of downloads for a given attachment shown again.  It has been missed.