oldguy

I was trying to log on to Digital Spy, a site i have bookmarked, and kept getting blocked with the IP protection message for IP address 93.188.128.170.

I tried getting onto the site using three different browsers but got the same message each time. The site eventually attempted to open but all I got was a load of unformatted text, the sidebar menu apparently, for digital spy, and nothing else.

I was trying to log on to Digital Spy, a site i have bookmarked, and kept getting blocked with the IP protection message for IP address 93.188.128.170.

I tried getting onto the site using three different browsers but got the same message each time. The site eventually attempted to open but all I got was a load of unformatted text, the sidebar menu apparently, for digital spy, and nothing else.

Every time I logoff from my online account at Barclays website I get a popup saying "infection detected from 93.188.128.15" which is in the same IP range as yours and have no idea why either.

Is this a false positive?

Can any one shed light on this please?

This is not a false positive, no, but apologies for taking so long to reply.

This IP range is currently home to several ad tracker, which wouldn't have gotten it listed, but is home to malicious domains, which IS why it is listed (the hosting company has failed to respond to abuse reports).

In the case of the two sites you mentioned, chances are it's the adverts the sites display, that are resulting in this notification.

Many thanks for the reply. I understand your answer but it's getting to be a bit of a problem. This morning I've had the warning come up while I was trying to log into lynda.com, LoveFilms shop, Digital Spy again, and a couple of others I wasn't quick enough to note. That's at least five times in a couple of hours

The trouble is that sometimes - not always - when the warning appears the main site you are trying to load freezes up and you can't progress even though you feel the site you are visiting (and have visited often before) is safe. For example, with Lovefilms I'd gone to their shop to check out the latest offers. The banners eventually appeared but only some limited text about what was on sale. The warning kept appearing and after ten minutes, and having only got about five items up on the screen, I gave up. Similarly, with Digital Spy I only got the unformatted sidebar menu and couldn't get anything else. With Lynda.com (who do IT training videos) I was able to get all the information but the warning repeatedly appeared both while logging in and when playing the course videos.

I've checked that it is Malwarebytes and not the browser by using different browsers but it makes no difference. It doesn't matter to me so much if the site I want still loads (though of course I wouldn't want it to if it was a dodgy site) but when it blocks a reputable site the facility starts to become a liability. With DS and LoveFilm I ended up logging in on my laptop which doesn't have Malwarebytes.

Incidentally, it might be worth repeating what I said in an earlier email, I have thoroughly checked the computer using a number of different anti-virus and anti-spyware solutions and all have come up clear. I am certain there is nothing malicious on the computer that could be trying to access websites and producing these warnings.

I realize this is frustrating, and you can if necessary, disable IP Protection temporarily to view the sites this occurs on.

I am still trying to get hold of the hosting company responsible for this IP to see if we can finally get the malicious sites removed (they've ignored the e-mails I've sent, so the next step is to try calling them)

Many thanks for the reply.

It's not quite bad enough to make me want to switch it off yet but, as you say, it does get frustrating. One thing I should have put in my comments was that I'd be sorry to lose the facility as I think it's a valuable edition to Malwarebytes. It's a good idea and once these niggles are sorted out will add another useful weapon to the armoury.