From quarantine to exclusion (in reports)

Greetings,

You don't have to type anything to exclude something.  You can use the Select Files... or Select Folder... buttons to navigate to whatever you desire to exclude.

Also, if what you wish to exclude is already being detected by Malwarebytes, you can perform a Threat scan via the Scan Now button on the Dashboard or by performing a Threat scan via the Scan tab, then once the scan completes and you see the items you wish to exclude listed in the detections, simply click on the empty checkbox at the top left of the results list to uncheck everything listed, then, assuming you want all of those items excluded, leave their boxes unchecked and click Next.  Once that's done you'll receive a prompt asking you what you want Malwarebytes to do with the remaining unchecked items; click Ignore Always and those items will all be added to your Exclusions list so that they will no longer be detected by Malwarebytes.

If there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

If you are referring to website blocks, then that's even easier.  After a website is blocked, if you right-click on the Malwarebytes tray icon you'll see an entry for the most recently blocked site which says Add Web Exclusion for <website that was blocked> and if you click on it, the blocked site will be added to your exclusions so that Malwarebytes no longer blocks it.

Here's an example:

Exclude.png.976bbefc7a7183685dd62bdf7ca11a91.png

Do you mean an option to exclude something from the Reports tab?  In my opinion that would be even more tedious because of the way they're labeled.  You can't easily determine where a specific detected item is:

Reports.png.4e4c15a5bd921e27a16033b6a7e68651.png

You see what I mean?  Each item is labeled so generically that it is difficult to determine where a specific detection is, especially if you don't remember exactly when it was blocked/detected.  If it's a specific file or folder that you want to exclude, then you can just use the Browse... button in the Add Exclusion dialog or you can even change the setting for Automatic Quarantine to Off so that you are asked what to do whenever a file/process is detected by real-time protection and you can exclude it as soon as it is detected if you wish:

Detection.png.dc0d5e21d7e1d47f3aa091613f72f52a.png

To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying that they shouldn't add an option to exclude items from reports, just that I don't think it's the most efficient way to handle it.  Also, if an item you're excluding is a false positive then it's possible that it could be corrected in a future update which negates the need for an exclusion, though that's not as likely obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

Tell them that these methods are very unintuitive. The only place anyone would expect antivirus to be answerable to user is in reports tab, because you know they're reports. You know icons, these generic messages can be replace by actual file names/paths and replace by icons.

Actually, most AVs follow the same methods as Malwarebytes.  They do however often offer some of these options in their History or Quarantine tabs, however that's not the same thing as reports.  As you say, they are reports, which means they are simply textual log information to report on the history of the application and actions it has taken, not an interactive area for dealing with detected or quarantined items (that's what the Quarantine tab is for).  I think the confusion here is that some AVs don't have any separate tab just for reports because they aren't as transparent about all of their non-threat related activities as Malwarebytes (for example, many products don't actually store logs for all of your past scans etc. the way that Malwarebytes does) so they instead only have a History tab which really is nothing more than a Quarantine tab under a different name and serves the same purpose in that it allows the user to see what has been detected/removed etc. and allows them to restore it from quarantine or delete it.

With that said, I would like to see more options added to the Quarantine tab such as a Restore and Ignore option to add an item to exclusions after restoring it from Quarantine because to me that does make sense and would simplify a situation where an item has been quarantined by Malwarebytes and the user wishes to restore it and add it to exclusions so that it is no longer detected.