CPU consumption despite being disabled

evjlsrain

Hello, I have something to report about the malwarebytes extension for chrome

I disabled the malware/scams and ads/clickbait protection to the website facebook.com (for example). However, malwarebytes is still consuming CPU according to google chrome's task manager while I was scrolling through facebook's feed. Please fix it. It should consume 0% of CPU on excluded pages

Thank you

If the any of the content on the page comes from an external website then it will still be scanned/checked, so your best bet in this case if you really don't want it doing anything while browsing Facebook would be to disable the plugin completely temporarily while browsing it, however be warned that Facebook and other social media sites where user generated links and content are allowed and shared tend to be some of the most frequently used sites for spreading infections, especially through malvertisements and embedded exploits so I would strongly recommend leaving all security measures active while browsing such sites if you visit them.

thank you exile360, it's a good response

however, if I'm browsing a website that I know it is completely safe, such as malwarebytes.com or forums.malwarebytes.com regardless of the external sources they contact to, when I click on a link, I still see MB extension using CPU after being disabled specifically to these sites. Is it a good move for the extension? Because when I disable the shields, it means I want it to completely silent without scanning or blocking anything on the websites I want to browse. Disabling the extension temporarily is not a solution because it's no convenient to disable and re-enable it to visit some websites

I think it's better to have an option which allow users to disable the scan completely including the scan for external sources

Thank you for your reply

Edited by evjlsrain

The problem is that the content from the other sites may not be safe, such as advertisements embedded in a webpage.  In fact, malicious ads, or malvertisements as they are more commonly known these days, as well as hidden exploits will most frequently use this method to infect systems.  They spread by getting themselves embedded in/displayed on otherwise safe/trustworthy sites and can even infect a system without the user clicking on them just by viewing the embedded content while browsing the otherwise safe website, and since you are whitelisting only the specific site you are visiting, content from other sites still gets checked and this is one of the reasons why.

The other reason is that, technically speaking, there is no way for the plugin to know that the content from other sites is being displayed on the excluded website vs being displayed in their own tabs or pop-ups and this is especially true for the block list functionality since it will block content from any known malicious domain or IP address regardless of where it is being displayed, be it on its own page or embedded within another website.

So unfortunately if you really do not want Malwarebytes to scan any of the content on a site like Facebook which frequently includes content from other websites, then the only solution would be to disable the plugin while browsing the site, because Malwarebytes has to continue to filter and check content from the other websites, at least that's how I understand it (I know that the Web Protection in Malwarebytes 3 works this way, so I assume the plugin does as well, as I would expect it to, otherwise it just wouldn't be safe).

The unavailability of Malware Firefox Extension for Firefox 45.9 prompted me to get to grips with NoScript. NoScript tells me exactly what domain names are or are not allowed and I have quickly become adept at deciding what I need to allow when the full content or behaviours are not available. I cannot believe that I could not have achieved this years ago. NoScript combined with Ghostery is a great combination. Having said that, I would still rather use MalwareBytes Firefox Extension, if only that were possible.