MBAM and Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
    Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

MB + WFC = Some REALLY SERIOUS Forces (ALL in ONE)

However, the problem is, when the software get combine with lots of 'goodies' and the size gets bigger, 

the more chances it crashes or interfere with other internal functions

***So please please please test and retest and RETEST again before you  pump out the upgrades.

The recent UI problem is unacceptable (if you had test it)...

If you missed something that minor, imagine how many more millions computers will you break if the mistake is once again 'Unforgivable'?

Still, look forward to see what MB team can do :)

Edited by Jonahsworm
-

Jonahsworm

Security software has gotten so complicated today testing with all different hardware and software combinations in the wild, full testing is impossible ! I only

had very minor problems with MBAM in comparison to others on this forum. That is why I haven't tried to help anymore. In short, 'most is now over my head'.

If I see something I am very sure of on any forum, I will jump in. These days, not too many !

That's exactly right.  Malwarebytes has an entire team dedicated to testing (the QA or Quality Assurance team, of which I'm a former member) and they test across every OS they support and in both live systems and VMs, not to mention all of the pre-release alpha and private and public beta testing they do for each release where they provide the software to the users that are willing to test and still not every bug gets discovered before release.

Now, with that said, one thing I like about this particular move by Malwarebytes is that the kind of firewall they're integrating is one based on the native Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) APIs which is the same framework that the native Windows Firewall is built on meaning it's a low overhead solution with regards to resources and is likely to have a high rate of compatibility, much higher than many of the third party custom firewall solutions developed by other security vendors.  Because of this I expect great things from this new technology once it is integrated and I believe that it should be capable of providing one more great layer of defense without compromising system performance or compatibility.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Because of this I expect great things from this new technology once it is integrated and I believe that it should be capable of providing one more great layer of defense without compromising system performance or compatibility.

Most likely not for home users but rather for business environment. WFC is not as friendly as it looks; the firewall is still the Windows firewall which DOESN'T suspend a program pending an user decision, but will rather block it, which is extremely inconvenient.

Also WFC is recommended only for outbound connections.

I have only used it because Emsisoft removed their firewall. I still like the "real" firewalls. Tried Comodo free and took two-three days  before I dumped it and went with Binsoft.

2 hours ago, exile360 said:

Really?  I've been using a WFP based firewall since Vista (I'm using one right now on 7 x64) and I've never had any problems with it.  In fact, the vast majority of freeware firewalls available today are based on WFP.

I suppose you mean WFC.

You are not going to have "problems" . WFC doesn't suspend an application till you will make a decision, but simply will block the request. Some applications will "shoot" request after request if a path has been blocked and you will have 20 requests in 2 sec.

One more thing: WFC it is not recommended for inbound requests, this are still handled by  Windows firewall.

Nope, I meant WFP.  It's the same set of APIs currently in use by Malwarebytes in Vista+ for the Web Protection component and the same technology used by the Windows Firewall in those operating systems and is what MS designed for developers to use for packet filtering applications as well as firewalls (to replace the older NDIS and TDI technologies used in older operating systems like XP).

More info can be found here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363967(v=vs.85).aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Filtering_Platform

I heard of this about a week ago, was just waiting for someone to being it up here.

I don't really think MB3 needs a firewall, MB3 has millions of users, to make it so that even 1/2 of MB3 users understand what a firewall is doing and how the settings work would require it to be dumbed down so much that it basically would just be another Windows 10 firewall that requires zero user input. If that's the case then what is the point?

Maybe they"ll surprise us!!

I think the idea is that it will allow Malwarebytes Premium to finally compete with tier 2 AV products (also known typically as "Internet Security" suites and the like) which typically include some form of software firewall in addition to malware protection.  Leveraging a WFP based firewall enables them to extend the functionality already being used for their existing web filtering technology in the Web Protection component using APIs they're already familiar with having worked with them for years.  Adding a 2-way firewall to the mix just makes good sense and it will be simple since it isn't a more complex HIPS application like many IS products include (which is why most software firewalls are so complex because they actually do a lot more than just monitor connections/traffic to and from the web and instead try to manage virtually all application interaction and activity).  Basically it should be the same as the existing Windows Firewall but with outbound blocking added so that the user receives a prompt to allow or deny internet access to processes on their system which can be very useful if some program that shouldn't be communicating with the web tries to (like a Trojan for example).

I've been using a WFP based firewall on my systems for years and I hardly hear a peep from it until I install some new application that tries to dial out to the web and when that happens it's easy to decide to allow it or block it and to have my firewall remember my decision so that I'm never asked about that application again.

3 hours ago, exile360 said:

I think the idea is that it will allow Malwarebytes Premium to finally compete with tier 2 AV products (also known typically as "Internet Security" suites and the like) which typically include some form of software firewall in addition to malware protection

Few years ago I suggested to MBAM upper management to "lease" the engine from a well known antivirus company (Bitdefender, Avira) and to make MBAM a fully fledged antivirus.

I received an angry answer saying   "we do not intend to transform MBAM in an antivirus "  .

Now , slowly slowly , MBAM is getting there.

Integrating a software firewall is a far cry from transforming a product into an antivirus.  Like I said, this move will enable them to compete with tier 2 products, not base antivirus products.  The distinction here is that Malwarebytes still won't be using the kind of engine and methods employed by the AVs.

41 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Integrating a software firewall is a far cry from transforming a product into an antivirus.  Like I said, this move will enable them to compete with tier 2 products, not base antivirus products.  The distinction here is that Malwarebytes still won't be using the kind of engine and methods employed by the AVs.

let's review: Antimalware + Web protection+ Exploit Protestation + Ransomware protection + (Adw cleaner) + (WFC)

So, what exactly is missing from being an antivirus??????

Just now, lock said:

let's review: Antimalware + Web protection+ Exploit Protestation + Ransomware protection + (Adw cleaner) + (WFC)

So, what exactly is missing from being an antivirus??????

Static pattern based script detection (as some frequently point out around here, the malware detection engine in Malwarebytes doesn't scan script files or other non-PE files) as well as on-access scanning of objects, which incidentally is one of the primary reasons it's safe to run Malwarebytes alongside an actual antivirus because AVs do on-access scanning and you don't want 2 of those on the same system at the same time because that would lead to serious performance issues and conflicts.

• 9 months later...

A bit late to the party here, but if MalwareBytes could scan scripts and Non-PE files, even if it were just an optional feature, then that could add another layer of protection, and as long as they didn't also add On-Access scanning to the mix it wouldn't cause any conflicts.

Now... On-Access scanning could hypothetically be made to work well without conflicts if MalwareBytes had an official ePolicy Orchestrator profile/plug-in...
...or if Microsoft decided to update their APIs so that other Anti-Malware/Anti-Virus solutions could more effectively communicate with Windows Defender, allowing for more efficient and more reliable cooperation between different protection systems. I think that would be a long ways off, though. I think they should stick with ePO for now.

By the way... could this thread be moved into the feedback forum, as opposed to the support forum?