Unable to update some applications while running Malwarebytes

I have been getting the following errors when attempting to install new versions of applications when running Malwarebytes. The processes run with no issue once I kill Malwarebytes. This has happened for the applications:

Private Internet Access

Winaero Tweaker

I have noticed this issue only after the Windows 10x64 update 1803 on 16 May.

I attached screenshots of the error and system specs.

1.PNG

1b.PNG

12.PNG

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
    Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello, @JoshALogs

Thanks for your report. We're aware of this issue, and are working towards a solution. That solution is currently undergoing internal testing in our standalone Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware (MBARW) product. The solution would first be released in MBARW before being integrated to Malwarebytes for Windows.

The problem is in the Anti-Ransomware component. If you disable it during those program upgrades, the issue should resolve.

Thank you.

Edited by tetonbob

It's these type of bugs that have been driving me nuts ever since MB 3 was released. I wondered why CCleaner would not update lately and at first, I blamed it on Windows defender controlled folder access causing the problem. I should have known that it would be good old MB being the cause again. Without these forums, I would have no idea what was going on. I will definitely not be renewing my subscription when it is due. My patience threshold has been reached. 

I can't say that you're wrong.  Malwarebytes 3 has been plagued with issues both major and minor, however I have also observed that with each release it has become more stable, has had more bugs fixed and has made both major and minor improvements to both performance and protection/detection capabilities.

That said, the Ransomware Protection component has been a point of frustration for me as well as many other users, so much so that I took it upon myself to convince the Product team to add some known issues for these problems to the release notes for version 3.5.1.

As for me, I'm currently running with Ransomware Protection disabled even though the only issues I've seen have been the occasional system hang (very rare) and on a few occasions my system would not shut down without forcing the power down via the power button (again, only rarely), but even though these issues only occur occasionally for me, I'm still keeping it disabled and I'll explain why.  I love Malwarebytes.  Even before I was hired on as an employee around 8 years ago I loved it.  Their novel approach to dealing with threats has proven time and time again that they're onto something that the vast majority of other vendors in the industry are overlooking when it comes to proactive prevention of new and emerging threats (the very reason Malwarebytes came to be in the first place was due to the fact that the prevailing threats of the day were constantly being missed by the majority of other security tools and products).  But with the implementation of the Anti-Ransomware component I noticed a divergence in how it handles these threats for the most part.  Rather than proactively preventing these threats by stopping them before they get a chance to infect the system, it seems this module relies largely on behavioral detection to observe processes and threads in memory and when a process/thread is observed behaving like ransomware it is shut down before it can do too much damage.  This is in contrast to the other protection components which all rely on detecting attacks and threats much earlier in the attack chain before the malicious process ever makes it into memory.  I still have confidence in those other components so much so that I feel perfectly safe running my system full time with Ransomware Protection disabled and I don't feel the least bit unprotected without it.  It's a nice to have feature as a fallback measure, but I'm far more confident that the Anti-Exploit, Web Protection, Signature-less anomaly detection, heuristics and standard threat signatures in the Malware Protection component will stop any threat, including ransomware, before it gets to the point that the Ransomware Protection component would be needed.  So until they get it fixed, I'm keeping it disabled and if you still want to keep Malwarebytes but don't want to be bothered by these issues with this particular component, then I'd advise you consider doing the same.  I'm confident that you'll be safer with just that component disabled than without Malwarebytes on your system at all, especially knowing what I know about modern threats and how they function (ransomware is never just ransomware, there are always other, earlier phases in the attack chain, any of which will typically be detected and thwarted by Malwarebytes rendering targeted ransomware detection moot).

Beyond that, Malwarebytes is also currently testing a new beta of a browser plugin for Chromium based browsers as well as Firefox that further enhances the Web Protection feature by adding behavior based web blocking for scams and website based attacks as well as its own sets of databases to block phishing, malicious ads as well as many online trackers to protect privacy:

Malwarebytes for Chrome
Malwarebytes for Firefox

Add that to your arsenal, with or without Malwarebytes 3, and I do believe you'll be much safer online, especially given how effective it's proven to be against the imminently popular tech support scams popping up constantly these days (something it deals with behaviorally, not through a static database of domains and servers/IPs unlike Malwarebytes Web Protection).

You'll do what you will, but please at least consider my words.  I only want to help keep you and everyone else safe online, and I truly believe you're better off with Malwarebytes than without it, even with Ransomware Protection disabled.  I'm also quite confident that they will get these issues fixed, and in fact they are already testing a build that is designed to fix it so it should only be a short while before a new build of Malwarebytes 3 is available that corrects these problems.

Edited by exile360

Thanks for sharing your experience with us @exile360

I'd also suffered a couple of atypical system hangs recently but hadn't associated the problem with Malwarebytes. 

I too have been frustrated by these glitches affecting software updates and have reported them in other threads, and shall follow your advice to disable the Ransomware module until the problems are resolved. I share your view that a slightly buggy Malwarebytes is still considerably better than no Malwarebytes at all. 

Edited by TempLost
Clarification

Same for me with installing certain programs & also when playing Big Fish games, an error pops up saying it can't write to something, disabling Ransomware protection resolves it.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

This issue should be fixed in our beta that was just released. You can download the beta by going to Settings -> Applications and toggling on the beta option. After a little while, you should get the beta version which is Component Package 1.0.390 and this should hopefully resolve the issue. Please let us know.

If you don't want to try the beta, the full release should be out soon based on feedback from beta users.

beta2.png.3649b475fbbd78987232182ef09eb6d6.png

• 2 weeks later...

This fix is now live in Component package version 1.0.391

This will, as always, be released in a metered fashion. If you don't want to wait for the component package to come down automatically, you can use the "Install Application Updates" button on the Settings > Application tab.