Computers With Problems

Bobc11

I have a old Compaq Presio running windows 98 SE and my friend has a desktop running windows XP and they are plugged in but when you press the power button it will not turn on! Please help!!

• Staff

Seems silly, but did you try different outlets, surge protectors etc? Otherwise it could be dead motherboards or dead power supplies. Also check the power connectors to the motherboards to make sure they're securely plugged in. It could also be as simple as the connectors that go to the power buttons themselves that have gone bad. If you have a voltage tester you can check the power supplies which is what I'd do after checking the connections and trying different outlets.

Seems silly, but did you try different outlets, surge protectors etc?

Yes.

Otherwise it could be dead motherboards or dead power supplies.

The Cord on the Compaq has a green light that lights up and a "charging icon" that lights up.

The desktop has a normal cord and no lights turn on.

Also check the power connectors to the motherboards to make sure they're securely plugged in.

How can i do that?

It could also be as simple as the connectors that go to the power buttons themselves that have gone bad.

How would i find that out?

If you have a voltage tester you can check the power supplies which is what I'd do after checking the connections and trying different outlets.

I will try that.

• Staff
How can i do that?

You'll have to take them apart. The desktop will be the easy one. Just open the side of the tower and find the large white connector that plugs into the motherboard and make sure it's secure (be sure to ground yourself against static electricity of course).

How would i find that out?

That can be a bit trickier depending on the system, but taking apart the front panel of the desktop would be the way to determine this, and look at the little power button switch which will have 2 wires coming out of it. If you have a spare desktop or computer case you can use the switch from it to test if it works with a different one. You'll have to connect the 2 wires to the motherboard accordingly to test. For the laptop, it's tougher simply because taking them apart can be a much bigger pain. If you can find a guide with pictures online for servicing the laptop that shows how to take it apart, that's where I'd start. Laptops can be very tricky if you've never taken one apart before. If you aren't comfortable with doing that, then I'd take it to a service center or PC shop to have it looked at instead, as many of the small panels and parts can be pretty fragile in laptops.