tboy

Cute PDF Writer not malware

Hi,

I am not that convinced this is a false positive though.

Can you zip and attach the actual file here? As you only submitted the detection log.

Thanks!

Thanks, it was attached, i opened it from the post, it IS there... cutewriter.zip, its a free pdf writer, i've been using it for at least 5 years

Hi,

When I download your attachement, it's just a textfile with the malwarebyteslog - you can verify this for yourself. :)

Alternatively, can you upload the C:\USERS\<yourusername>\DOWNLOADS\CUTEWRITER.EXE file to Virustotal? https://virustotalcloud.appspot.com/nui/index.html#/home/upload

Then once the scan is done, copy and paste the link here of the results. 

It might be possible that this installer you are having has additional software/adware bundled, so it might only be the installer that is "malicious" and not the program itself (as I am familiar with the program and know it's not malicious)

Edited to add, I just downloaded cutewriter from the official website you have given and I can't reproduce detection, so your installer is most probably a different one.

Edited by miekiemoes

interesting, i downloaded it from the post and opened it, it is definitely there, a txt and a zip file, but here it is again

this is an old installer from 2014, could have adware in it...

CuteWriter.zip

Thanks.

Now I got your actual file. This one is indeed bundled with additional unwanted programs. So our detection is correct here. :)

We don't detect the CutePDF program itself, we only detect the installer if bundled with adware.