VassiliTN

Is MalwareBytes working on an option to increase license count online?

I can't believe I am the first person ever to need this, but I must be.

I needed to add a computer to existing business subscription, so basically to increase the license count on that subscription. First found that's not possible online. A thread where another person asked this question said that it's a sales question. Called sales, they had no idea what I was talking about (granted, I might not have explained myself very clearly). So I submitted an online ticket and received a reply informing me that it is not possible to change license count on existing subscription. The reply told me my options are either to get a different subscription for additional system or wait till current subscription expires, not to renew it and buy a new one with correct number of licenses. Both options are really not acceptable, I don't want to keep up with 100 different subscriptions and I don't want to have to change subscriptions and have to redo all clients because of one addition.

Another post discussing this question said MalwareBytes may be working on a way to be able to change number of license seats online. Is there anything like this in the works?

Am I the first person ever that needed this? Did no one else ever found themselves adding computers after purchasing a subscription? Or is there a way to do it now that's kept secret from those like me?

Thank you

Vassili

Greetings and welcome,

I'm sorry for the difficulties you've had in attempting to increase your seat count.  While I do not wish to offer excuses, I would like to explain why I believe this is a difficult situation to resolve (though I am going to submit a request that such a feature be implemented if possible so that if it can be done, hopefully it will be implemented in the future).

I believe that because of the way licenses/subscriptions work where there is a set, specific start date and a set, specific renewal date based on the subscription's current duration (1 year by default currently), attempting to add any additional seats/licenses mid-term presents a problem because either you would end up paying full price for a seat you'd only use for a partial term, or it would have to be separated somehow so that your start dates and renewal dates for individual seats would be initiated, processed and charged at different times (which somewhat defeats the purpose of a multi-seat or site license).

For this reason, I believe that unless they changed the way that licenses and subscriptions are charged, where they can be paid on a monthly basis rather than a yearly one, there would be no easy way to add on any additional seats to an existing license/subscription.

Now, with that said, on the consumer side at least there is a feature called the My Account Portal which enables customers to manage their various Malwarebytes subscriptions/licenses/keys for all of their products and separate licenses, and this might be a way to solve at least some of the issues you're facing because it could enable you to purchase a new separate subscription for the system you wish to add, but manage and monitor that key from the same place as your current/existing one, including information on where the license is activated.  This would also enable you to deactivate devices so that you could move a license from one system to another if it gets replaced and should, at least in theory, also make managing your renewals/subscriptions easier as well, even if there are multiple licenses with multiple subscription start/end dates.  I will have to concede to whatever the members of the staff have to say however, as this is just based on my rather limited knowledge of how the feature works for consumers and I do not know for certain if it applies to business licenses/products.

More information on the My Account Portal may be found here as well as here with a bit more info about managing payment methods via the portal here.

I am sorry that I was not able to do more to help resolve the situation, but rest assured I will be submitting this issue to the Product/Marketing teams for review and consideration and hopefully it will lead to some kind of reasonable solution for issues like this.

Posted (edited)

Hi Vissili,

I am one of the Renewal Sales Team managers and can assist. Please send me an email at <email removed> and I will make sure you get the proper assistance. We should be able to easily add seats to your current subscription.

Thank you,

Andy Parola

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed email address from post

Wanted to give an update: working with Andy we were able to reach a good resolution to the issue. 

First big thank you to Andy for reaching out and working with me.

Second, when you talk about canceling one subscription and starting a new one you may want to mention that one does keep the same license. I was primarily opposed to that because I thought different subscription meant different license which then means having to reinstall everything. 

Third, I still think the whole situation is stupid. Please don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the service I have received from MalwareBytes to resolve this and I understand that I wouldn't have received this kind of service with 99% of other companies out there. Looking at the end result I would say the overall experience has been positive and does reinforce me wanting to recommend MalwareBytes to my clients. But there has to be a better way to do this. I understand there can be issues with canceling and refunding software license purchases. But if I already use the product, expanded my organization and want to pay my vendor money to buy more of their product I don't believe I should be made to jump through hoops to do that. Would still be very interested to see if there are any changes coming to the process, or to learn if this should be done in a different way.

Thank you

Vassili

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update, I'm glad that you guys were able to work this situation out :) 

With regards to the hassle involved, I think it comes down to the issue I mentioned previously with the duration of a license/subscription being the main hurdle.  I don't think most organizations would want to have to renew some of their seats on one date and other, more recently added seats on another, but without starting each subscription/seat from the date of purchase an organization would end up paying for time they aren't getting (in the case of seats added later/mid-term of their existing subscription) meaning they'd be paying full price for seats to only get protection for the same duration as their original/existing seats.  The only alternative would be to do something like a monthly license term, which I don't think too many organizations would find ideal since most would probably rather pay for at least 1 year at a time rather than having to renew each month to keep their seats/subscriptions current.

Maybe some kind of middle ground could be created for this purpose such as a special add-on pricing for additional seats where you only pay for the remaining portion of the current subscription term for the new seats up front rounded off to the nearest month or quarter or something like that, this way the new seats could still be set to expire/renew on the same date as the existing seats without being charged a full year for a partial term, but I don't know if the Malwarebytes licensing/pricing/ecommerce model would allow for this or not, but it would probably be the best solution for this kind of situation.

Edited by exile360