glnz

MB crashes on XP (after update XP with new POS updates)

I keep my XP machine updated with the POS hack.  So the problem I just started having with MB on my XP machine is the same problem anyone would have on an XP POS machine.

Today, after updating with KB4056564-V2, KB4089453-V2, KB4095516, KB4095528, KB4103768, KB4101477, KB4130957, KB4131188 and KB4134651, MalwareBytes just crashed.  UNinstalling with MB-clean and REinstalling various versions of MB did not work - all crashed.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
    Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

After posting your new post, make sure you click the Follow button near the top right of this page, and select the option "An email when new content is posted Change how the notification is sent" so that you're alerted by email when someone has replied to your post.

_mb_follow.jpg.7868cc281f66ac22e919c2c48

_mb_follow_options.jpg.dcb79fc10aa35beb0

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Sorry, but mb-support also crashes!!

The Windows Dr. Watson crash reports say this:

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : mb-support.exe     P2 : 1.0.0.421     P3 : 5ad8d87d
P4 : presentationcore     P5 : 4.0.0.0     P6 : 590b1abf     P7 : 46a0     
P8 : 47     P9 : system.io.fileformatexception    

Unfortunately, I cannot copy the .dmp or following crash log.

Your program left FRSTEnglish.exe on my Desktop.  What do I do with it?

Edited by glnz

Can you provide the logs above?

Do note that Malwarebytes does not support XP POS, including regular editions of XP that apply the POS hack. Malwarebytes is not tested against those updates and classifies an operating system with those updates installed as an unsupported operating system. That being said, we can certainly take a look.

Update

Just saw your message, can you try standalone mb-check from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_check 

Edited by dcollins

dcollins - please be sure you install all nine in my list.

If any is missing from your own Microsoft Update list, please see both

< THIS LINK AT MSFN >

and

< THIS POSSIBLE EXPLANATION AT MSFN >

However, KB4134651 is needed protection against an exploit that is being seen now!  Please also see < THIS ARSTECHINCA ARTICLE > .

Please fix MB to work with KB4134651 and my other eight updates.

Thanks.

dcollins - I UNinstalled KB4134651, and MB is now working.  No crash on its installation.  Haven't scanned yet, but I'm sure it will be OK.

But we need to install update KB4134651 to protect against a genuine threat that's been seen in the wild.  Please work with Microsoft so that MB works even with KB4134651.

And please let us know.  Thanks.

Can you elaborate on what crash you saw? I'm getting a crash from mbam.exe, but removing that listed update doesn't resolve it.

dcollins - when I tried to run MB, they were Dr Watson-style crashes, not BSODs.  Said that both MB tray and regular MB had crashed.  Unfortunately, I could not copy the TEMP txt files generated by Dr Watson.

Removing that update KB4134651 just now definitely stopped the crashes, as the MSFM expert heinoganda predicted in that last post.

dcollins - and thanks for your fast attention.

Unfortunately, KB4134651 is important - it stops a real threat, not just a theoretical one.  Can you find the solution fast so we can install KB4134651 ?

I am working to find out the cause, but it's doubtful this will be a fast solution since we just had a release earlier this week. On top of that, as I mentioned, this is technically an unsupported operating system so it may not get fixed at all. Once I find out the details, I'll be sure to provide as much information as I can.

I've got a similar (likely identical) crash of MB tray and regular MB on XP after updating . Summary Error signature :    AppName: mbam.exe     AppVer: 3.0.0.1490     ModName: qt5core.dll      ModVer: 5.6.3.0     Offset: 001aa816.

Any idea if a fix will be likely ?