v1.0.20 blocking all file downloads

nukecad

v1.0.20 seems to be blocking all file downloads.

In the past 5 hours for me it had blocked downloads of:

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
Malwarebytes 3.5
WizTree

These are obvious FP's.

The exclusion links on the blocking page do nothing; even turning off the 2 switches on the extension 'Front end' does nothing; you have to go into the extension settings and disable the protection there.

Edited by nukecad
8 hours ago, Swandog46 said:

I can't reproduce this, I just downloaded those packages fine using 1.0.20 on Firefox.  Can you tell us how you're downloading the files, where you're downloading them from?

I'm downloading them from the developers own websites by clicking on the download button and then clicking "Save file" in the Firefox pop-up.

MCT from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Malwarebytes 3.5 from this very forum

Wiztree from https://wiztree.en.lo4d.com/

I overstated a bit when I said "all file downloads" seem to be being blocked - PDFs, JPEGs, DOX/DOCX, etc. all download with no problems - it's the .exe installation files that seem to be being blocked.
(I had the same previously with an earlier version when trying to download/save the CCleaner standard installer from the CCleaner builds page).

Once I disable the extension protection then the installation files can be downloaded/saved no problem.

I have posted screenshots of the blocking page(s) for MCT and Malwarebytes 3.5 in separate threads on this Firefox beta sub-forum.

Again for info -

Windows 10 home (64-bit), version 1803, now build 17134.48
Firefox v59.0.3 (64 bit)
Extension v1.0.20

I just tested again using exactly your links and nothing is blocked for me.  I'm on the same version of Firefox and the extension that you are.  Just to be 100% clear, you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10, you click Download Tool Now, you click Save File, and the file doesn't appear in your Downloads folder?  Can you maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the extension?

1 hour ago, Swandog46 said:

I just tested again using exactly your links and nothing is blocked for me.  I'm on the same version of Firefox and the extension that you are. 

Same here, no problem at all... :huh:

Swandog64, exactly as you say - save file in the Firefox pop-up and the MB extension kicks in.

Firefox reports the download as 'canceled'.

I've been asked to collect some logs in the thread where I first reported this so will hold off the reinstall for now.

PS. I got the extension early doors when it was supposed to be an employee release, and have let it update itself. Not sure if that may be relevent? 

4 minutes ago, Swandog46 said:

We can't understand this since we haven't made any changes since yesterday.  In any event, let us know if the issue comes back?  Thanks!

yes, that's what I also noticed
It's curious !

That's why I posted the capture I took.

Only Firefox was updated yesterday to version 60.0

Workarounds (pick at least one):

- Install a stand-alone download manager (not a browser extension) and activate its browser integration for Firefox. It works on most cases. One obvious limitation is downloads from popup windows (ex: Windows update catalog), those may still fail. You can overcome even that if you activate Context menu element for the download manager integration extension and use it for downloads from popups. I personally use Free Download Manager v5 and it has all these features.

- disable Malware/Scams protection on webpage with the download. DO NOT re-enable until the downloaded file is already launched otherwise Malwarebytes extension deletes it on completion. This also is unable to prevent blocking downloads from popups,

2 hours ago, pal1000 said:

Workarounds (pick at least one):

- Install a stand-alone download manager (not a browser extension) and activate its browser integration for Firefox. It works on most cases. One obvious limitation is downloads from popup windows (ex: Windows update catalog), those may still fail. You can overcome even that if you activate Context menu element for the download manager integration extension and use it for downloads from popups. I personally use Free Download Manager v5 and it has all these features.

- disable Malware/Scams protection on webpage with the download. DO NOT re-enable until the downloaded file is already launched otherwise Malwarebytes extension deletes it on completion. This also is unable to prevent blocking downloads from popups,

- manually allow the domain (and subdomain) listed in alert. I said manually because temporary and permanent allow links from alert are broken as well.

Thanks, we'll look at this and try to come up with a user experience that makes sense for adding exclusions for downloaded files.  We can't automatically restart downloads unfortunately, but we should be able to add the exclusion for the domain and send you back to the referring page.

Thanks pal1000, we found the bug in the "allow links" on blocked downloads.  It'll be fixed in the next build.  Nevertheless, we'd still like to find the source of the original issues in this thread, so if nukecad or chantal11 can still reproduce the issue we'd still like to know.

That's the point isn't it?

We are discussing a beta product here, so we are reporting strange behaviour not asking for a workround.

(Easiest workround is disable the extension).

@Swandog46 I've not forgotten, just not been able to get round to it yet.

Firefox has now updated to v60 and the Malwarbytes extension to v1.0.21

The downloading block on the installers have gone and they download OK now.

From the report above by chantal11 it seems to be the Firefox update to v60.0 that changed the behaviour, (rather than the extension update).

Maybe the console log I posted for Rakesh will point to something? Glad I captured it before the update.