PowerMan572

Malwarebytes Services Causing Slow PC

5 hours ago, digmorcrusher said:

These tests mean nothing to me, there are so many variables that can be used in their testing methods. I'll go with my real world results, I haven't been infected using EAM.  Besides 99.1 -100 miniscule difference.

You will get absolutely the same result (zero infections)  with any of the free AV available ; MSE /Defender, Avira, Avast, BitDefender, Kaspersky.

There is this misconception that if you pay you get better protection.

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Yep, I think so.  I've been running the beta myself since it first launched and it's been going well so far for me.  And yes, it will activate with your current license and will automatically upgrade to the release version (assuming there are any changes before it comes out of beta, otherwise if it isn't changed, you'll already have the latest with the beta and so won't need to update/upgrade).

If you do decide to try the beta, let us know how it goes and if it helps with the performance issues etc.

Thank you sir ! I'll monitor the situation and install the Beta if necessary. And I'll keep you posted if I do ;)

Cheers,

Edited by Mark
I do a lot of typos...

@GavinP : it could be. On mine I noticed it especially when restarting or shutting down the computer, as it would take a lot longer, with Explorer and TaskHost not wanting to close.

So an update on my situation : things were going well (fast) last night after disabling Ransomware protection, until I attempted a reboot. I got the Chkdsk / disk integrity window (formerly known as BSOD), had to perform chkdsk which repaired or deleted a few files (I forget), then all was Ok. So next I installed the Beta... Computer has been On since, smooth adn fast so far, no chkdsk on reboot.

I'll update later today.

13 minutes ago, GavinP said:

Ransomware and real time protection is currently disabled on my MB and can't be restarted.

PC still running very slowly. I'm increasingly thinking MB has sent through a dodgy version with last weeks upgrade - If I find out MB is causing this I'll be removing them from my PC as after Januaries memory leak fiasco I said one more problem with MB on my machine and I'll have no option but to cancel it and install a new programe.

Task Manager > Show all processes > end MBAMService.exe then quit MBAM. Restart from All Programs. Maybe you should try the Beta.

Sounds very similar to the random issue I've been having for over a month.  Initially I thought it was a repeat of the February update fiasco.

System becomes almost totally non-responsive.  Once task manager comes up, mbamservice.exe is running at 25% cpu.  I kill the task, the system returns to normal and the task restarts itself.

30 minutes ago, Meathead said:

Sounds very similar to the random issue I've been having for over a month.  Initially I thought it was a repeat of the February update fiasco.

System becomes almost totally non-responsive.  Once task manager comes up, mbamservice.exe is running at 25% cpu.  I kill the task, the system returns to normal and the task restarts itself.

That's exactly the issue I had. If you disable Ransomware Protection, does that stop it from reoccurring?

41 minutes ago, Meathead said:

This is just my personal suggestion : try the Beta (3.5). I've only had it installed for 12 hours, but my system is stable and fast. Funny how I now realize I have my computer back, having dealt with lagging and bizarre system behavior for weeks...

Edited by Mark
suggestion only needs 2 "g"s. Heh.

Guess I need to go post in the Beta forum, but I'll update here first. Almost 24 hours on the 3.5 Beta, and my system runs so much better than it has for the past few weeks. All seems normal now. I'll come back here only if problems creep up. For me, right now, 3.4.5 is history.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Excellent, I'm glad to hear it.  Your experiences reflect my own.  I use 7x64 which is somewhat notorious these days for having issues with MB3 and performance, and although the last few releases have resolved a lot of problems, I did notice intermittent issues continuing with version 3.4.5, but ever since I started the beta (3.5), they have yet to return.  I hope others' experiences are as good.

If you install Beta do you have to keep Beta update's enabled or can you stop receiving Beta updates once you've installed the 3.5 Beta? 

Edited by GavinP

You may disable beta updates after that if you wish.  It will still download new databases/signatures etc. without it.  That setting is just for new beta builds of the product.

OK, I think I'll have a go at installing 3.5 in a few minutes as problems are still on-going with my PC. If that doesn't work Ill either have to uninstall MB or get a professional out to my machine to find out what the problem is,

WOW! We're speeding up nicely.

I didn't think it was going to work initially as everything still seemed slow after the install but now I'm surfing the web like normal for the first time in around a week.

Will report back later.

Edited by GavinP

That's awesome, yes, please keep us posted :)

I hope that these performance issues are finally resolved.  It's been an ongoing thing with the Ransomware Protection component, isolating all of these similar performance issues, but it has been getting better and they have become less frequent/affected fewer users/customers with each release, and so far the 3.5 beta seems to be the best of all.

Edited:

My dumb *** didn't look at the year on the date stamp on this post! So sorry!

Edited by Buddy