Updating and license activation problems

Greetings.

My recent problems with Malwarebytes started about a week ago, when for unknown reason Malwarebytes completely stopped updating (it failed to update automatically, and when i tried to trigger update process manually it failed as well, however no error pop-ups were shown and it looked like the program is simply stuck trying to update itself endlessly). Also, whenever i tried to access account information tab from settings, Malwarebytes kept showing me an error message, saying that it is unable to connect to license servers.

Today i finally decided to attempt clean reinstall with support tool. The updating problem seems to be solved now, but license servers are still "down" and https://keystone.mwbsys.com/ cannot be accesed through browser, returning ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error (Something strange happened right before the clean reinstall: i tried using windows diagnostic tool on that page and surprisingly the error was suddenly replaced by "OK" message at top-left side of the page, as if it was now available. So i ran the support tool, removed malwarebytes and rebooted my machine... and ran into that connection-reset-servers-unavailable brick wall again!). At this very moment i'm stuck with free version of Malwarebytes and unable to upgrade it back to premium with my license key. It is also worth noticing that .txt file with the key mysteriously dissappeared after reboot, yet other files on desktop generated by support tool remained intact.

To this moment i tried different one-time antivirus tools on my laptop (eset, dr. web, kaspersky, msert - none of them found any threats), checked my hosts file (it remains in default condition and seems completely fine) and tried turning windows firewall off to see if https://keystone.mwbsys.com/ becomes accessible that way (it didn't).

I'm attaching the log archive generated by Malwarebytes support tool to this message. Hope something can be done about all this.

P.S.: in light of recent events in my country (our government tries its best to block Telegram, bringing down lots of IPs and services in process), i want to point out one of possible reasons for this, namely that some IP responsible for updates and licenses could've been blocked here.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
    Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

After posting your new post, make sure you click the Follow button near the top right of this page, and select the option "An email when new content is posted Change how the notification is sent" so that you're alerted by email when someone has replied to your post.

_mb_follow.jpg.7868cc281f66ac22e919c2c48

_mb_follow_options.jpg.dcb79fc10aa35beb0

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Short update on situation here.

I somehow managed to restore it to premium version, but the very next moment license servers have once again become unavailable (?!).

Problem with updates is still there as well. All in all, nothing changed and things are still kinda confusing :wacko:

6 hours ago, kim33 said:

Short update on situation here.

I somehow managed to restore it to premium version, but the very next moment license servers have once again become unavailable (?!).

Problem with updates is still there as well. All in all, nothing changed and things are still kinda confusing :wacko:

I'm showing the  https://keystone.mwbsys.com  as OK at this time of posting

Hi @kim33. Based on your last paragraph, and your computer language being set to Russian, I'm assuming you are in Russia. We have seen increased reports of our licensing and updates servers getting blocked from Russian users. At this time, we also believe it's related to the increased blocking of things like Telegram and more. Unfortunately this is not something within our realm of control, and the best solution at this time is to utilize a VPN or proxy server to get updates

Hello @dcollins and thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to somehow make sure the problem is caused by IP blocking? Actually, i suspected that from the very beginning and ofc i don't want to waste your time (especially if it is indeed a problem you can't fix) but i believe i've seen some very short "openings" when malwarebytes license & update servers were available. It was even possible to activate the license key again, even though it took some time before servers could be accessed.

Unfortunately, i'm no internet security expert, so i just wanted to know if such sporadic server availability is a normal thing when IP responsible for access is blocked.

Edited by kim33

There's not a surefire way, but since we're only seeing this problem from russian users, we're pretty confident. Limited availability of a site can also happen if what's actually happening is that your ISP is simply routing your traffic differently, causing a timeout to occur when trying to reach the server. If the traffic gets routed fast enough, it may eventually connect.

I too agree with @dcollins that your ISP is blocking malwarebyte updates. I frequently download movies and games from different torrent sites but when I moved to Australia, I was unable to access most of those sites. I read upon VPN and it solved my case with ease. Since a VPN makes your IP anonymous in the eyes of the ISP hence you are able to access any site. It also saves you from hackers too.

Cheers:)  

Edited by tetonbob
removed link