wirejay

My exe files all turned to 0 bytes won't open

Yes, trying to get the computer back to "normal" just may not be easily achievable. Why I recommended a format and reinstall of Windows. All we're doing here is putting a band-aid on a gaping wound, which I pointed out in post #9 of my replies.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/130154-the-complexity-of-finding-preventing-and-cleanup-from-malware/

Let me have you run the following please.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

Ok. I see. Let me run this and see if we get anywhere. I've already set on the reinstall route. I just wanted to recover certain files which I can't get back with that option.

As for the slow start, I discovered my battery is dead and buried and once I removed it the startup returned to normal.

I'll let u know tomorrow how it goes.

Ok. I think I'm going to have to do the dreaded reinstalling of Windows. I think it's inevitable now. At least the virus/malware problem has been arrested.

Thanks for all the assistance and patience in the ordeal.

Jay

Okay, thanks for the update. Yes, in the long run I think you'll be better off and have a much more stable and secure system. Once done make sure you look at good backups to help have an easier way to get back.

Backup Software

Cheers

Ron