Is it possible to give your licenses away?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

The transferability of licences has been discussed recently on these forums and I'm pretty sure the terms and conditions are specific on the point, and that they may be deactivated and transferred between machines owned by the purchaser but not transferred to a third party. The thread I remember concerned the legality of selling "unused" licences on Ebay. I'm sure somebody from Malwarebytes will clarify this if I'm wrong. 

13 minutes ago, TempLost said:

The transferability of licences has been discussed recently on these forums and I'm pretty sure the terms and conditions are specific on the point, and that they may be deactivated and transferred between machines owned by the purchaser but not transferred to a third party. The thread I remember concerned the legality of selling "unused" licences on Ebay. I'm sure somebody from Malwarebytes will clarify this if I'm wrong. 

This is exactly right. The Licensee is to be the sole owner of product. However, he is just wanting to distribute the licenses, without saying if he used any or not, prior to this. If he didn't use and never had any license activated, there shouldn't be anything wrong, that's why I clarified whether he did use them already. He also mentioned these are considered 'gifts' so not to be understood as selling.

I don't know about giving away a license after you've purchased it, but you should be able to buy a license for someone else like purchasing it as a gift if that's what you set out to do from the start.  I don't know if Malwarebytes EULA accounts for this scenario, but I do know that it's something you can do with a lot of software online such as purchases through Steam etc.

I guess it all depends on the specifics in the EULA and what the purchase page ToU are and whether or not they have accounted for this kind of scenario.  Worst comes to worst you could always just give someone a prepaid Visa gift card or something similar and let them purchase a license with that, this way you paid for it but they bought the license in their own name so there's no confusion or issue with determining who the license belongs to.

• 9 months later...

Am trying to purchase MB as a gift for a friend.  Do not see it as an option on the site.  Thought I might try to just purchase the license and then enter it on his computer but now not sure if that is allowed given the discussion here.  Will email the company again but any info appreciated.

6 minutes ago, durandmg said:

Am trying to purchase MB as a gift for a friend.

Who is going to pay for the ongoing subscription? That is the person who should use their credit card to purchase. 

My suggestion is to buy a legitimate keycard to give to them. Since I have no idea what contry you are from I can not give you any suggestions on where might sell legitimate boxed versions.

In the US,

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=malwarebytes&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Thanks.  Had already thought of the hard copy but local Best Buy ran out.  I am in the US.  I may pay for the renewal unless I pass into the great beyond anytime soon.  Have done this with other annual subscription software (Norton, for example).  I cancel auto-renewal and deal with it at the same time next year.  Newegg as well as Amazon have hard copies but was trying to get this done today.  Probably out of luck on that.  Thanks for the quick reply.