bithead

3.4.5 sends PC into coma

14 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Ah, understood, thanks.  If you open Malwarebytes, does it show all of the protection components as being enabled/on (look at the upper right side of the Dashboard tab)?

Yes they are all on.

Good, you should be OK then, but still, I'd feel a lot better about it if it were starting up normally.  Try this:

Once you have the tray running again, right-click on it and select Quit Malwarebytes, then click Yes to the User Account Control prompt.  Wait for all of Malwarebytes processes to vanish from Task Manager (including MBAMService), then open Malwarebytes again by double-clicking the desktop shortcut or START menu shortcut (don't run the mbamtray.exe process manually this time) and let me know if it launches normally, including the tray and shows all protection components as enabled.

Did it 2 times to be sure. Exited it and reopened from the desktop icon. All protections are on and I see it in the system tray. Hopefully it does it on startup too next time I reboot.

Very good :)

If it doesn't start up correctly you have a couple of options.  You can perform a clean install using the Malwarebytes Support Tool I references in this post and select Clean instead of Gather Logs, then reinstall the beta version (don't let it download/install the product for you after it's done and you've rebooted, just cancel out of it at that point/opt out of the reinstall, then run the beta's installer manually and reboot when done).  The second option would be to simply perform this same process on each system start, where you launch the tray (you can create a desktop shortcut or a link in your START menu for ease of access to the mbamtray.exe process) then quit Malwarebytes, then launch it again normally using the regular shortcut that points to mbam.exe (not the mbamtray.exe shortcut, obviously; I mention this because the tray won't start the service if it isn't running, and the service needs to run for protection to work as well as pretty much everything else, including scanning).

Just rebooted after a random BSOD from Spotify lol. But there is no system tray icon for Malwarebytes, but I see the MBAMService in details in task manager. So the tray is not booting on startup for some reason.I just made a shortcut for the tray, it only takes like 1 second to open that up from the desktop.

Edited by Cody712

Hmm, OK, I have an idea.  It shouldn't take too long and should hopefully fix this.  Just run the installer for the beta, which should be located under C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate then reboot if prompted to complete the install, then see if after a system restart things are working normally again with the tray starting up as it should.

If it isn't, check to see if you have the Fast Startup option enabled, as it has been known to cause issues with Malwarebytes.  You can check to see if it is enabled, and then disable it via the instructions on this page (that's for Windows 8, but should apply to 10 as well, but if not, let me know).

The root cause in my case is scan priority.

I use the free version, and run a manual scan once a week.

I see the problem on both Windows 7 (with Panda AV) and Windows 10 (with Defender)

CPU and memory increase dramatically at the Scan Memory step.

Setting "Lower the priority of manual scans to improve multitasking" solved the issue.

That was the only change I needed to do.

No exceptions were added to Malwarebytes, or to the other security products to improve performance.

The issue being discussed in this thread has more to do with real-time protection causing performance issues constantly.  Performing a scan with pretty much any tool or product is going to typically consume a large amount of system resources.  That's why most of the time most vendors recommend that when performing a scan you refrain from performing other tasks.

That said, yes, you can lower the priority of scans so that it doesn't consume such a high amount of system resources, freeing them up so that you may continue using your system for other tasks while the scan is going on.  This is why the feature was created.  Also, scheduled scans automatically run in lower priority mode so that they are less intrusive and less resource intensive since they occur silently and might run while you are using your system for other purposes so you don't have to worry about needing to modify any settings to make your scheduled scans behave this way.

I doubt that the lower priority functionality for scheduled scans is any different than for manual scans...manual just gives you a choice.

That said,  it appears that the "default lower priority" for scheduled scans is not actually working for many, since this has been an issue for a while.

The only way to find out is for the developers to dig in to the code.

It is a bug in MBAMservice.exe

Correct, it is the same for scheduled scans as it is for manual scans with regards to how the priority of scans is lowered and it's just configured lower automatically for all scheduled scans.

Again, the bug being discussed here isn't about scans at all (neither manual nor scheduled), but has to do with performance issues caused by Ransomware Protection.  Those affected have already confirmed this by turning off Ransomware Protection and observing that the problem vanishes as soon as they do.  The Developers appear to have it resolved in version 3.5 which is currently in beta.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you know that version 3.5.1 is now available which includes several improvements and fixes, including fixes for the performance issues caused by Ransomware Protection, so please upgrade when you are ready and let us know how it goes and if the issue is indeed resolved or not.