PhotoLarry

Blocking of spoofed numbers

A call with the area code and exchange of my number was not blocked or warned. It didn't ring my phone but I'm unsure if mwb or another app actually blocked or stopped it.  Just wanted to report this since I thought this is one of the core things the app should do.  I hadn't updated to the release from today yet if that's important to know

I don’t know how your settings are setup but if it looks like the picture below then it would indeed block the call. Note that the default settings are set at warn. 

68D83E11-B068-4F79-AB1D-D30150E422F3.png

I didn't have it set to block. And I'm not sure if those toggles were in the prior release. If I've selected warn... What happens?

I'll change the settings now anyway

Edited by PhotoLarry

If it was set to factory settings the number would have came through as a call but you would have gotten a warning at the first ring. 

My guess is your settings were set to factory settings. Also I have no idea what other apps you have running. Maybe the developers can help you to see what they can do with information you give them. 

Two came through today.  This is unacceptable.  I will go back to using something else that blocks it better.

17 minutes ago, PhotoLarry said:

This is unacceptable.

Unacceptable? This is beta software. "Use at your own risk!" I can't help but wonder what prompted you to agree to testing it. Issues such as this are precisely why we were invited to help them test it. Clearly you are far better off using some other release software in your situation.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:38 PM, PhotoLarry said:

A call with the area code and exchange of my number was not blocked or warned. It didn't ring my phone

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. You say it wasn't blocked or warned, but didn't ring your phone... can you explain what that means?

To clarify what Malwarebytes for iOS does, when in Warn mode, the phone will ring, but you'll see the caller ID information showing that it's a scam call:

IMG_1471.thumb.png.a866f4ef90735f26336cf1926710bba0.png

If you have it set to Block, the phone will not ring and the call will not show up in your call history. You may see a voicemail in the Phone app, or may get a voicemail on your carrier's voicemail system that doesn't show up in the Phone app, or you may not get a voicemail at all. (That seems to vary depending on the carrier.)