Protection System Virus

I downloaded malwarebytes and hijackthis used my flash drive to get them to my infected computer so I could get the log files on here. Malwarebytes will install but won't run. Hijackthis, once I changed the name of it opened up started a log and the window dissappeared. That will no longer do anything. Need some help. I'm not sure if it is the protection system virus but something on there also won't let me access the internet anymore when it popped up. The virus seems to have disabled my trend micro, I have recently added avira and a bunch of things came up in terms of infections but then it only gave the option to quarantine 3 of the items.

Please need some help

Bryan

Hello Bryan,

Close any of your open programs while you run these tools.

If you cannot download with this system, use another system to get these tools. Put and save tools to the DESKTOP.

If the tools will not run in normal mode of XP, logoff and Restart, and use "Safe Mode with Networking".

do this:

1. Go >> Here << and download ERUNT

(ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)

2. Install ERUNT by following the prompts

(use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)

3. Start ERUNT

(either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)

4. Choose a location for the backup

(the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).

5. Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked

6. Press OK

7. Press YES to create the folder.

=

If this is Windows XP:

Set Windows to show all files and all folders.

On your Desktop, double click My Computer, from the menu options, select tools, then Folder Options, and then select VIEW Tab and look at all of settings listed.

"CHECK" (turn on) Display the contents of system folders.

Under column, Hidden files and folders----choose ( *select* ) Show hidden files and folders.

Next, un-check Hide extensions for known file types.

Next un-check Hide protected operating system files.

If this is Vista:

Show all files:

• Click the Start button, and then click Computer.
  • On the Organize menu, click Folder and Search Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Locate and click Show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Apply > OK.

Download to your Desktop FixPolicies.exe, by Bill Castner, MS-MVP, a self-extracting ZIP archive from

>>> here <<<

• Double-click FixPolicies.exe.
  • Click the "Install" button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
  • The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies.
  • Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd.
  • A black box will briefly appear and then close.
  • This fix may prove temporary. Active malware may revert these changes at your next startup. You can safely run the utility again.

=

Next, Go >> here <<

and download RootRepeal and SAVE to your Desktop.

Doubleclick RootRepeal.exe icon on your Desktop.

Click on the Report tab at bottom of window and then click on Scan button.

A Windows will open asking what to include in the scan. Check all of the below and then click Ok.

Drivers

Files

Processes

SSDT

Hidden Services

Stealth Objects

You will then be asked which drive to scan.

Check C: (or the drive your operating system is installed on if not C) and click Ok again.

The scan will start.

It will take a little while so please be patient. When the scan has finished, click on Save Report.

Name the log RootRepeal.txt and save it to your Documents folder (it should default there).

When you have done this, please copy and paste it in this thread.

=

Reply with copy of RootRepeal.txt

This is only the beginning. There will be much, much more to do.