I am trying to pay using PayPal for a Premium Account for my Windows PC.  But, when it goes to the PayPal screen, it asks for my credit card number. This makes me feel like a scam/spoof site is trying to gather my credit card number and 3 digit code.  I'm unwilling to do this again, since it is supposed to be Paypal.

I use PayPal so I won't have to enter that information.  No other site that I've used Paypal for, has ever asked me to enter my credit card number.  That totally defeats the purpose of using Paypal in the first place. 

How can I pay using PayPal for use only on the Windows PC and not have to enter my credit card info again?  

Thanks.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I clicked on the "Upgrade Now" button from the app.  It takes me to https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/inapp/pc/v1/?ref=trial&qty=3&x-source=t_trial_071421&ADDITIONAL_x-source=t_trial_071421.  

Then I choose "buy" and it takes me to:  https://estore.malwarebytes.com/order/checkout.php?PRODS=4716689&CART=1&CARD=2&ORDERSTYLE=nLWooJWpjHU%3D&AUTO_PREFILL=1&CLEAN_CART=ALL&OPTIONS4716689=1Y&OPTIONS4716553=1Y&quantity=1&QTY=1&SRC=US_VarC&ref=trial&qty=3&x-source=t_trial_071421&ADDITIONAL_x-source=t_trial_071421&__c=1

Here I enter my email address, name and zip code.  Then choose to pay by "Paypal", and it brings up the paypal screen...which asks for me to enter my password.  This all seems fine as that is what I"m used to seeing when I pay using Paypal.  Paypal apparently finds me, cos it displays my home address.  But, it asks me to enter my credit card number and 3 digit code.  This seems odd and fishy to me, since Paypal already has this info. 

So, I"m reluctant to do this, as it tells me someone/something wants my credit card info that shouldn't have it, as Paypal already has my info.

This seems shady to me.

For Malwarebytes: refer to Ticket: 2292558.

I did a chat session with Malwarebytes and was told that I should call the payment processing company Avangate.  Avangate told me that they are only a billing company and suggested that I call Paypal.  So, I called Paypal.  Interesting, as Paypal agreed with me that once logged into their site, I should never have to enter my credit card number or 3 digit code when doing a purchase.  The agent suggested that I stay away from Malwarebytes and not purchase it, as this seemed shady.  

When I get to the Paypal site, it does ask me for my password, and it did find me as it displayed my mailing address.  But, it seemed like it was not enough info/security credentials were provided from Malwarebytes/Avongate to Paypal to gain access to my credit card info I have listed in Paypal.  The Paypal agent thinks that a setting on the Malwarebytes side needs to be set so that it will have enough info/security to get access.

So it seems like Malwarebytes should do some testing on their side with Avongate/Paypal to actually do a purchase on Paypal to see what I'm talking about.  Again, I was advised by Palpal to not complete the payment transaction as it was - that I should not enter my credit card info again.

I have a dilemma now, as my trial period ended today, and I really like the product. I would like to purchase this, but after what happened, I will not enter my credit card info on their site.

Please...someone at Malwarebytes....can you please test and then fix this issue?  I do strongly believe that this is something on your side.  At least Malwarebytes needs to take the lead and whether or not it is a setting on your site, Avongate or Paypal, Malwarebytes is the owner of this product and should make sure that their customers are able to purchase and use the product properly.

Again, the beauty of using Paypal is so that we don't have to re-enter our credit card info online.  I've had my identity stolen before, so that is why I try to use Paypal as much as I can, so I don't have my credit card number all over the place.  We are all consumers and we would all like to be protected.  So, I"m hoping a resolution will be found quickly so I can purchase this.

Thanks.

I got an email today from Malwarebytes telling me that I didn't complete my purchase thru Paypal and would I like to complete it.  I clicked on it, and got another screen that directed me to Paypal.  I thought...oh good, it must be fixed!  Nope.  Same thing.  As soon as I enter my password for Paypal, the Paypal screen comes up....same thing.  It asks for my credit card number.  I know it did find me, as it does display my correct mailing address.  But something is not right where it keeps asking for me to enter my credit card number when they already have it.  I only have 1 credit card number on file with Paypal.

Again, Paypal told me to "absolutely NOT re-enter my credit card info". 

So I clicked out of it, and then I got a message from the customer service director asking to rate how they did.  I responded telling them that it was terrible, as the problem has not been resolved. 

I am attaching a screen shot of the paypal screen.  Where my real info is displayed, I've encased it in a solid black box. You can see how it asks for my credit card info.

Please fix this.

Paypal Screen.jpg

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm working with our internal teams to try and get clarification on this.

While I'm doing this, can you try clearing your Firefox cache?

Edited by dcollins

Thank You.  I tried a couple of things.  I used Chrome and got the same results.  I then cleared the cache in Firefox and tried again, and got the same results.  I just cleared the cache again for the next time.

I am a developer too, and I know that testing in-house may produce different/controlled results.  It might be difficult, but if you are able to actually try a "real" transaction with a real Paypal account to reproduce the issue, that would be great.

I really did get in touch with both Avangate and Paypal.  The Avangate rep was no help as they are not an IT person.  But the Paypal guy did say that maybe there is a setting on your side or Avangate that needs to be set.  Anyway, thanks in advance for looking into this.

I was wondering, could it be due to the default auto-renewal setting when making a purchase?  PayPal won't authorize any future transactions without your approval based on a one time purchase, so credit card info would be required in order to charge the account automatically when the subscription comes up for renewal.  The only way around this would be to set up bill pay with PayPal, which is not the same thing as a standard one-time purchase/single transaction, so that's most likely why, at least in my opinion, it is probably requiring the full credit card details be entered directly.

They can check with the ecommerce guys, but I bet this is why it's happening.

That's a thought. 

So if it is an "auto-renewal" setting, then Paypal should only be allowed for a "one-time" charge.  Which is fine with me, as I don't want to auto-renew.

I'm pretty sure you can opt out of auto-renewal at some point during the purchase process, but it likely doesn't change how PayPal transactions are handled.  It's probably configured to require the card number no matter what just in case auto-renewal is left active.  They'll probably have to modify the site to allow for standard PayPal purchases without requiring the full credit card info.

Hmm, actually maybe I'm wrong.  I just checked my own Netflix account, which I have configured to use PayPal, and as far as I can tell, I didn't have to enter any account numbers or card numbers (I have PayPal set to draft it directly out of my bank account), but of course that's probably because Netflix has it set up as a bill charge anyway, not as a one time purchase.  I suspect that, because Malwarebytes allows you to opt out of auto-renewal, that it isn't set up that way by default, so that have to treat it like a one time transaction, but secure the payment info to be able to renew it when the subscription expires.

The opt-out option is not offered during the purchase process with Paypal.  It seems like this is something that has to be done after your purchase and after you have been set up as "auto Pay".  Auto pay must be a default.

After my experience, I think that Paypal needs to be set up as a single purchase only.  Malwarebytes will notify you when you need to renew, so you will get a reminder.

Anyway, hoping for a solution soon.  I was using this in conjunction with Kaspersky (for the 14 day trial), and side by side, Malwarebytes caught more than Kaspersky did. 

Try going through Newegg and get your subscription renewed. Newegg had a sale for premium Malwarebytes $14.99 for 3 PC's for 1 year. I paid using Paypal and I was never asked for my credit card info. I'm not sure if Newegg still has Malwarebytes on sale or not. But you can check and try to purchase that way. Then you just put the license/key number into your Malwarebytes that's already installed on your computer.

Yes, it looks like Newegg has the 3 device for 1 year license version for the regular retail price right now and they do accept PayPal, so that's an option if you don't want to have to enter your credit card info.  I'm sure other sites like Amazon have it as well, just be cautious as some of the sellers on Amazon may be selling non-legit versions/licenses (a problem typically more prominent on sites like ebay, but we've seen it on Amazon as well from time to time).

I had opened up a ticket with Malwarebytes and it is now being worked.  I gave them some screenshots.  But in the meantime, they sent me a link with the other business company that handles purchase transactions.  This one works well with Palpal. 

Have any of you been successful in turning off auto-renew?

Ah, that must be Avangate.  They're the other ecommerce partner used by Malwarebytes.  As for turning off auto-renewal, if you can't do so during purchase, then you can by contacting the ecommerce partner you purchased the license through as documented in this support article.

Thanks for the article.  I have been having trouble with Avangate, and that is the one that I captured screenshots.

I purchased through cleverbridge. 

Thanks.

Ah, I see, that explains it.  Excellent, I'll have to make a note of this in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation in the future and I'll know to point them to Cleverbridge for the purchase.  Hopefully they'll get the issue sorted with Avangate soon so that they aren't negatively impacted by this.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:34 PM, exile360 said:

Yes, it looks like Newegg has the 3 device for 1 year license version for the regular retail price right now and they do accept PayPal, so that's an option if you don't want to have to enter your credit card info.  I'm sure other sites like Amazon have it as well, just be cautious as some of the sellers on Amazon may be selling non-legit versions/licenses (a problem typically more prominent on sites like ebay, but we've seen it on Amazon as well from time to time).

Amazon is good however the OP wanted to use Paypal. Amazon does not accept Paypal the last time I checked.

Edited by ram1220

Ah, my bad, for some reason I was thinking Amazon accepted PayPal.  Odd that such a large online retailer wouldn't accept the most commonly used form of payment for online purchases, but I guess they really want to push their Amazon credit card and whatnot which makes sense from a profit perspective I suppose.

I have to say that Malwarebyte's customer service is awesome!  I did open up a ticket, and they responded quickly.  They asked me to provide some screen shots for the PayPal transaction (which was through Avangate), which I did.  Then they provided a link for Cleverbridge, which worked well with PayPal. 

I successfully completed my purchase using the Cleverbridge route.  I had asked that they also help me "inactivate" the auto-renew, and that was done today.  So, I am set.

What probably remains an issue, is the PayPal purchase currently available through Avangate.   The website and the application currently point to Avangate.   There doesn't seem to be a way to navigate by yourself to Cleverbridge. 

So until they resolve this, it will still be an issue.  Unless they decide to swap out the Avangate link and put the Cleverbridge link on the site until the issue is resolved.

In any case, my current issue is resolved. I have an active license for Malwarebytes and I'm not on auto-pay.

If anyone also experiences this issue, I suggest you open up a ticket. They will respond and help you.

That's awesome news, thanks for letting us know :)

I think the way it works is it takes you to either the Cleverbridge or Avangate purchase page at random, but I could be mistaken.  I believe that Avangate was added as a second ecommerce partner recently as Malwarebytes has been with Cleverbridge for a long time so it's likely that this is some kind of bug with the Avangate purchase page that, since it was created more recently, probably hadn't been tested/used as much yet so nobody spotted/reported the issue before, but now that you have, hopefully it will get resolved quickly.

Anyway, I'm glad that everything worked out and if there's anything else we might assist you with please don't hesitate to contact us again.

I'm sure that you are right.  When I talked to the Cleverbridge tech, they knew that I was using the Avangate screens.

Anyway, thanks for the support and comments. 

I'm good to go for now.