Please describe what exactly the option " Basic Repair" does

KevinW

Please describe what exactly the option " Basic Repair" does. I did not find any help on this options, or any of the other options and the settings screen. There are many options under "Basic Repair" that have no help, or explanation of why / when you might choose / need to switch on or off.

Thanks in advance. 

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• 11 months later...

On v7.2.7.0 now, and still no detailed explanation for what these basic repair actions do.

The help icons (?) in the settings page only opens the manual. The available repair actions are listed in the manual, but provide only a terse description for each. There is no help regarding what/when/where/why to use them. :rolleyes:

• Staff

Hello,

The in-app documentation will be shipped very shortly.

In the meantime, the documentation explains what each additional action (= basic repair item) does: https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/guides/Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-User-Guide.pdf

However you're right, it doesn't explain when to use it or not. The idea is that basic repair contains fixes for various parts that are usually changed by infections and that may need to be reset, restored, changed, ... in order to fully fix the computer in addition to the AdwCleaner's cleaning process. If your computer looks fine after a cleaning, you're fine without using it. If you still see issues, then you might want to use it, the risk of breaking something is very low so you're safe.

Best regards,

Yes, that would be helpful. Thanks!

I noticed that two basic repair actions are checked by default:

1. Delete tracing keys

2. Reset Winsock

I am guessing that "Delete tracing keys" does some sort of registry cleaning, as "keys" seems to imply registry keys?

I Googled "Reset Winsock" and got a few answers. It seems that command will remove any providers not included in "winsock,dll" by default, so you may need to install some things like USB network connections if you run that.