Hi Kevin,

I disabled OopsBackUp from auto starting and then ran the GUIprop again. The G.exe is still there. Thanks

screenshot.jpg

Yes there is another startup entry to disable...

Open Taskmanager select "Startup" tab, scroll to "Oops!Backup" highlite and then select Disable... reboot. There is no need to run "GUIprop" again for now, we just need to make sure G does not stop windows from closing down,

There maybe several hidden G`s in the log from GUIprop, its only the one that stops windows from closing down we`re after....

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response. I'll go through and disable the other options that appear to be using g.exe. I have Guiprop opened now and it appears that G.exe is connected to Skype, Itunes, Outlook, and some other common programs I use. I've been moving forward assuming that g.exe is malware or a trojan. Do you know if this is true?

If I'm following correctly, Guiprop has been the only tool that actually shows the presence of G.exe other than waiting for it to occasionally halt the shutdown process. Can I use Guiprop to gauge whether g.exe is gone or is there a better way to tell if what we're doing is having an effect?

Thx again.

Edited by BigSkyTech

The G entries are hidden windows, not executables. The entries in your logs are very safe and not malicious. On my own system I have 8 hidden windows named G, they are not malicious either.

Your only problem is one progam does not close out correctly when you boot down windows, hence you see G listed. There is no reason to stop all G entries, only the one that does not close out correctly. I think yours is the back up software you have installed.

If you disabled the entry in startup via Taskmanager close out your system, reboot then close out again, does G still appear...

Hi Kevin,

I disabled all programs that were using G.exe from start up. When I reboot and use Guiprop to see if G.exe being used elsewhere, I don't see G.exe showing up. When the shutdown process would stall, I would be prompted with a notification that G.exe hadn't closed. When that happens next, should I cancel the shut down and use Guiprop to see which application was using G.exe?

Thanks again.

Hello BigSkyTech,

Yes, what you describe does sound a very good way of locating the hidden window that is causing this nagging issue...

Cheers,

Kevin...

Thanks for all your help with this. From looking online, there were some folks saying that G.exe is a virus / trojan. 
https://www.file.net/process/g.exe.html

Based on what you've seen of these logs, have you seen anything that would give you the impression this was a virus / trojan or is it an example of a "harmless g.exe"?

Yes G.exe is a virus, that file is an executable. Your problem is a hidden Window, not a hidden executable...

gotcha. That's a huge difference and thanks for clarifying. So in my case, would you say that the G program that's running in my case is not a threat?

There is nothing malicious on your system as far as i`m aware, you have a hidden window that does not close out correctly when you boot windows down. I have 8 hidden windows named G, there are no issues with mine as they all close out correctly when my system is booted down....

Hi Kevin,

Thanks again for everything. You've been a HUGE help and all the time you spent helping me is very appreciated. 

Big Sky Tech

Hello BigSkyTech

There aint a great deal of information about the hidden windows named G,  especially ones that fail to close out correctly. I found two instances via google but both threads never came to fruition.

It was @picasso who replied to my thread in our private forum and made me aware of what we were dealing with. Its one of those hidden system actions that kind of should never really happen, when they do they seem to be very rare, hence the lack of information.

If your vrsion does not show at every boot down it makes it harder to find. i`m sure we`ll get there sooner or later...

Thanks,

Kevin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks