Best free antimalware

ralatmby

I use malwarebytes 3 [home] premium and am happy with it, but I would feel a little safer if I had another antimalware program, obviously one that is compatible with mbam. I was using MS Security Essentials on my Windows XP system and it actually found a virus that mbam did not, or at least did not tell me about [perhaps MSSE stopped it before mbam had a chance]. I have Windows Defender, of course, on my W8.1 system, but apparently it has been disabled. I have tried Avira, but consider it too obtrusive. AVG appears incompatible. Avast seemed OK on my XP system, but I have not tried it on W8.1.

In short, I am hoping to get some advice as to which free antimalware program the experts at this forum would recommend.

Thank you, ralatmby [Robert Leeper]

On 4/12/2018 at 3:50 AM, ralatmby said:

I have Windows Defender, of course, on my W8.1 system, but apparently it has been disabled.

Windows Defender is a great complementary program to use with Malwarebytes. 

It is real easy to get both running together. Just open the Malwarebytes main control panel and click on Settings. From the Applications tab, scroll down to the Windows Action Center section and tick "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

That will tell Windows Defender to keep running. I believe Windows Defender will automatically start right then, but if not, you may have to reboot. But then you should be good to go.

3 hours ago, Digerati said:

Windows Defender is a great complementary program to use with Malwarebytes. 

It is real easy to get both running together. Just open the Malwarebytes main control panel and click on Settings. From the Applications tab, scroll down to the Windows Action Center section and tick "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

Thank you Digerati. Done. I cannot say whether a reboot was necessary. It was time for one anyway, so I did one and now action center says "Windows Defender is helping to protect your computer".

14 minutes ago, ralatmby said:

Thank you Digerati. Done. I cannot say whether a reboot was necessary. It was time for one anyway, so I did one and now action center says "Windows Defender is helping to protect your computer".

Great. Glad that worked. And note you don't have to make any other changes, unless you just want to. WD in its default settings works perfectly well for the vast majority of users. And when used along with Malwarebytes, you can be even more confident you are protected. Of course this assumes you keep Windows current, and are not "click-happy" on unsolicited links, downloads, attachments and popups - necessary precautions regardless which security software you use.

I feel this should be the default, perhaps with the notification: "Click here to disable Windows Defender. This will unset the Windows Action Center setting 'Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center'".

Edited by ralatmby
typo

58 minutes ago, ralatmby said:

I feel this should be the default, perhaps with the notification: "Click here to disable Windows Defender.

Why should that be the default? IMO, that makes no sense. No one should ever disable Windows Defender UNLESS they choose to install an alternative anti-malware solution - just as you did. And when users do that, Windows Defender automatically and gracefully steps aside, just as it did with you.

2 hours ago, ralatmby said:

I feel this should be the default, perhaps with the notification: "Click here to disable Windows Defender. This will unset the Windows Action Center setting 'Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center'".

This actually is the default. If you have only Windows Defender installed along with Malwarebytes 3.x, and the that setting is set to "Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings based on your system (recommended)", Windows Defender will stay active.

Gotta be careful with Zemana. I used the portable version until today. Noticed a post on another forum about it leaving behind things. It will leave 2 drivers on your system even if you delete the portable version. This can lead to BSOD which I got when trying out BitDefender(most likely why). I had to use Autoruns from Microsoft to find the ZAM drivers, then delete files from my C:\ drive and clean out my registry. That is not what I would call a portable program. 

I just deleted the file from my data drive. It was only there. and the way is what I posted above. It was not an installed program. It was a portable version that you just run. That's what really ticked me off. I didn't install anything with it and it thought it was cool to install drivers and services on my system. Worst part is I could have just downloaded that version, ran it once to make sure all was clean and then deleted it. It would have left services, drivers, registry entries and files in my Windows folder, windows\system32 folder as well as auto runs that cannot be deleted without admin permissions. 

Edited by Access Denied

On 4/13/2018 at 5:04 PM, dcollins said:

This actually is the default. If you have only Windows Defender installed along with Malwarebytes 3.x, and the that setting is set to "Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings based on your system (recommended)", Windows Defender will stay active.

Thank you dcollins. I did not know that. I found it set to "Always register Malwarebytes", but I think I may have ignorantly changed it.

3 minutes ago, Access Denied said:

I just deleted the file from my data drive. It was only there. and the way is what I posted above. It was not an installed program. It was a portable version that you just run. That's what really ticked me off. I didn't install anything with it and it thought it was cool to install drivers and services on my system. Worst part is I could have just downloaded that version, ran it once to make sure all was clean and then deleted it. It would have left services, drivers, registry entries and files in my Windows folder, windows\system32 folder as well as auto runs that cannot be deleted without admin permissions. 

Ah. I will be sure to create a restore point before running any "portable" program.

Thank you.

Just now, ralatmby said:

Ah. I will be sure to create a restore point before running any "portable" program.

Thank you.

A great idea with restore point. I make a complete image before installing anything that might cause a mess with my system. I had no idea a portable version that only runs(doesn't install) could intrude into my system that far. I will never use their program again. 

9 minutes ago, Access Denied said:

A great idea with restore point. I make a complete image before installing anything that might cause a mess with my system. I had no idea a portable version that only runs(doesn't install) could intrude into my system that far. I will never use their program again. 

By "make a complete image", do you mean you copy all your drives? That would take quite a bit of time and more blank drives than I have.

3 minutes ago, pupbuster said:

bitdefender is the best known antimalware

Best known? Ummm, not hardly. And best known does not equal best or even suggest good quality.

And frankly, I would not let Kaspersky near any of my systems. The product may be good but the company cannot be trusted.

13 minutes ago, digmorcrusher said:

I would think

There's a big difference between what you "think" and what several countries already have actual, verified evidence of what Kaspersky did and what the Russian government did and is still doing.

But that's for a different discussion.