How does it play with other ad blockers?

ComputerRehab

• Staff

I run uBlock origin and the Malwarebytes Extension and don't have any issues.

I do run HTTPSEverywhere and occasionally I'll get an error from either Malwarebytes or HTTPSEverywhere that the redirect failed because the other extension handled it first. It doesn't cause any actual issues (since it only happens on sites that are blocked anyways) but it's the only side effect I've seen.

As for adding it to customer computers, the Malwarebytes employee in me says "Yes, put it on as many computers as possible!" but the repair technician in me says "It's beta, not going to risk a customers computer and having them call me if something goes wrong".

Edited by dcollins
  • Staff

I'm currently using it alongside Adblock Plus, HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, Disconnect and Easy WebRTC Block and the only issue I've seen is that Disconnect will sometimes fail to redirect a site to About:Blank because one of my other extensions/plugins redirected it elsewhere (including occasionally Malwarebytes, but it happens with some of the others at times as well).

As long as the sites/servers are being blocked by somebody, I really don't care who, and the browser performs just fine, with pages loading snappy for me, including when they're full of blocked ads/trackers and the like when the plugins become most active.

I'm also running the Firefox version alongside several other plugins and haven't had any problems there either.  It seems to be a rather robust and effective little plugin.

In fact, I generally have to turn it off whenever I go hunting for tech support scams and the like (something I like to do on occasion to help out the Researchers here a bit) because it so often blocks them, even when they aren't included in Malwarebytes 3's Web Protection databases.

• Staff

By the way, regarding installing it on customers' systems etc., I gotta say go for it.  In my opinion (and because I know first-hand just how effective this thing really is, especially against some of the most prominent scams/threats like TSS sites and the like), it's well worth the risk of whatever problems they might encounter with it (though at this point, it frankly appears pretty stable, so I don't expect there to be any major issues, if any at all).

I've been pushing the team to get this thing out ASAP because it is very much needed right now with these scam sites and threats popping up so rapidly that it's become impossible for the Research guys to keep up.  This thing uses behavioral tech to block a lot of this stuff without having to rely on positive URL/domain/IP/server identification, which is huge when it comes to staying on top of this stuff and ahead of the bad guys.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, dcollins said:

I run uBlock origin and the Malwarebytes Extension and don't have any issues.

I do run HTTPSEverywhere and occasionally I'll get an error from either Malwarebytes or HTTPSEverywhere that the redirect failed because the other extension handled it first. It doesn't cause any actual issues (since it only happens on sites that are blocked anyways) but it's the only side effect I've seen.

As for adding it to customer computers, the Malwarebytes employee in me says "Yes, put it on as many computers as possible!" but the repair technician in me says "It's beta, not going to risk a customers computer and having them call me if something goes wrong".

Same here. Also agree with using it on your own machines but not on your clients' machines quite yet.