J4ck

BSOD Malwarebytes 3.4.5

Hello,

For the past week i've been having trouble with BSODs, "Bad_Pool_Caller" i tried reading the dump files and all i could understand from them is that malwarebytes could be causing them.

The files are attached in the form of a rar file

Any help is much appreciated 

Minidump.rar

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

@J4ck

Based on the logs you uploaded, it looks like the BSOD is being caused by some type of network driver. Either network card or if you have VMware setup, its virtual network adapter is causing it. With the logs provided there isn't more detail to give but I would suggest to look into your network adapters. 

Full memory dump may have more information, it is located in C:\Windows, (MEMORY.DMP)

You may have to upload it to a website like wetransfer.com since memory dumps tend to be large

Thank you.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I just checked my network drivers and i do have one outdated, let's hope this one is the culprit ?

Will update you if something comes up

Hey, so i had MBAM v3.1.x installed without issues. I was wondering for quite some time why it didn't update itself so i downloaded the (as i thought) latest build 'mb3-setup-consumer-3.4.5.2467-1.0.342-1.0.4610', installed that and within a few hours i BSOD twice. My bad luck; upon restart, my second 3tb internal HDD drive was not recognized anymore and only a full shut down with taking power off completely via the power unit's power switch would bring it back. That BSOD damaged the file structure leaving 368 sectors pending and uncorrectable. Multiple days and 15+ hours of work later i had finally, as a last straw, wiped that hdd completely, let it reencrypt bitlocker over night and spend another day copying all data back making absolut sure nothing gets forgotten or wrongly placed. There seem to be a good deal of folks having those BSODs with v.3.4.x and as you can see, this can have really bad and time consuming consequences. I sincerely hope you can get this in order soon...its never good if people feel they need to come check the forums before updateing a program for fear of crashes and data loss or worse.

Unfortunately i don't have memory dump logs for you, pagefile was to small for the entire RAM, mini dump was somehow not taken. I guess i come back in 6 months and see how things have developed.

Well, updating the network driver didn't solve the problem,

just got two more crashes "BAD_POOL_CALLER" but for some reason windows isn't saving the full memory dump file even though i enabled it manually.

I got one more minidump file attached here

New Minidump.rar

5 hours ago, J4ck said:

Well, updating the network driver didn't solve the problem,

just got two more crashes "BAD_POOL_CALLER" but for some reason windows isn't saving the full memory dump file even though i enabled it manually.

I got one more minidump file attached here

New Minidump.rar

You might want to download a program called 'WhoCrashed'. It checks for drivers that can be crashing the system. Works very well and pinpoints the driver responsible for Bad_pool_caller and others..Curious, do you also use Bitdefender as well?

http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

Version 6.0, just updated in Jan 2018

Below is description:

Description:
------------
WhoCrashed reveals the drivers responsible for crashing your
computer. Whenever a computer running Windows suddenly reboots
without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first
thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In
reality, most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device
drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, most
computers running Windows do not show a blue screen unless they
are configured to do so. Instead these systems suddenly reboot
without any notice.

WhoCrashed shows the drivers which have been crashing computer
with a single click. Normally, debugging skills and a set of
debugging tools are required to do post-mortem crash dump
analysis. This program checks for available crash dump files and
checks for reponsible modules. In most cases it can pinpoint the
offending drivers which have been causing misery on your
computer system in the past. It does post-mortem crashdump
analysis and presents all gathered information in a
comprehensible way.

By using this utility you do not need any debugging skills to be
able to find out what is and has been causing trouble on your
computer. Even to expert users, this tool will save a lot of
time.

The home edition is licensed for use at home only.

Edited by plb4333

i just had the same thing happen twice my whocrashed said its malwarebytes web protection

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Thu 12/04/2018 7:31:31 AM GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041218-16531-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1640E0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x4, 0x1D38007F, 0x1D380000, 0xFFFF80002324A198)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 12/04/2018 7:31:31 AM GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x7E81)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x4, 0x1D38007F, 0x1D380000, 0xFFFF80002324A198)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mwac.sys
product: Malwarebytes Web Protection
company: Malwarebytes
description: Malwarebytes Web Protection
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes).
Google query: mwac.sys Malwarebytes BAD_POOL_CALLER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Can you please zip up the following file and use wetransfer.com to generate a download link for the file? Thanks!

C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP

Has the source of this issue been definitively found and dealt with? I kinda fear reinstalling the latest mbam because i lost my windows installation completey because of the bsod in version 3.4.5. I had to go back to a backup of my entire system, so i am unsure whether its safe to give mbam a chance again.