Dublin70

MWB also an anti-virus program

A few months ago I read in an install package of mwb that it also worked as an anti-virus program. Is that true??? Thanks very much.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings :)

While Malwarebytes is not an actual antivirus (in fact, many modern AV programs these days from many vendors are no longer "true" antivirus in the technical sense of the word, believe it or not as there are currently very few (if any) true traditional computer viruses found in the wild today ;) ), Malwarebytes does believe that the various layers of protection included in Malwarebytes 3 are sufficient to protect a system from all current threats found in the wild all on its own.  You may refer to the information in this topic for additional info.

That said, Malwarebytes has always been and still remains designed to be capable of running in real-time alongside an active antivirus solution as well as other security products, so the choice is yours if you still wish to use an AV from another vendor alongside it.  If you do wish to and would like some recommendations, I know of several free options which are more than capable of offering a decent additional layer of protection including Avast!, AVG, Avira, Bitdefender as well as the recently released free version of Kaspersky.  Also, Microsoft's own Windows Defender which is included with Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 works perfectly well alongside Malwarebytes as does Microsoft Security Essentials which is offered by Microsoft for free for users of Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Edited by exile360

I had thought about adding a compatible AV just to have even more protection. I imaged my system prior to installing any. What I have found is that there is NO true AV any more. Every one of them wants to install something else like Kaspersky free (vpn). Avast (lots of extra bloat) etc. The closest to just an AV I could find was Bitdefender Free, but it gives me a BSOD after install (thank god for Macrium images). Bitdefender support blamed my Windows. I have a clean install image that has NOTHING installed. Got a BSOD when scanning system after install, go figure.

I will just keep Malwarebytes and Windows Defender going.

True AV has died, may it rest in peace. 

Edited by Access Denied

2 minutes ago, Access Denied said:

I had thought about adding a compatible AV just to have even more protection. I imaged my system prior to installing any. What I have found is that there is NO true AV any more. Every one of them wants to install something else like Kaspersky free (vpn). Avast (lots of extra bloat) etc. The closest to just an AV I could find was Bitdefender Free, but it gives me a BSOD after install (thank god for Macrium images). Bitdefender support blamed my Windows. I have a clean install image that has NOTHING installed. Got a BSOD when scanning system after install, go figure.

I will just keep Malwarebytes and Windows Defender going.

True AV has died, may it rest in peace. 

Not only do most include all of these extra "features" you mention, but what they are actually using to scan for and remediate malware can't really be called antivirus any more in many cases, and they actually share much more similarity to what is used in more modern tools like Malwarebytes than they once did (an evolution which has become necessary due to the ever changing nature of modern threats, the vast majority of which bear very little resemblance to viruses and other threats of the past).  This is also one of the reasons I am confident in Malwarebytes, because it is a newer generation product and was originally built as a response to a new generation of malware that the rest of the security software industry seemed largely ineffective against using their more traditional detection and removal methods.  As threats have evolved since, Malwarebytes has had additional capabilities built into its code and now includes many features far beyond what was included in the original Malwarebytes 1.x versions, and these changes extend into the Premium version even more with new protection layers designed to detect and thwart all the various phases of an attack chain, which is the step by step process used by modern threats to infect systems, including blocking malware at its source via the Web Protection component, stopping exploits that try to download and/or execute malicious code in memory by exploiting known and unknown vulnerabilities in the software on a system, as well as advanced signature-less and behavior based protection layers designed to target everything from downloader Trojans to ransomware.  It still includes its more traditional threat detection capabilities of course, but these are often outshined by the effectiveness of these incredibly advanced signature-less threat behavior based protection modules.

This is not to say that having a second opinion is a bad thing, and adding an AV does no harm so long as its extra features do not bother you (as you mentioned) and as long as it doesn't hinder the performance of the system when under use, because no one wants a slow computer :).

2 minutes ago, exile360 said:

This is not to say that having a second opinion is a bad thing, and adding an AV does no harm so long as its extra features do not bother you (as you mentioned) and as long as it doesn't hinder the performance of the system when under use, because no one wants a slow computer :).

I agree 100%. I noticed a few days ago that whatever was causing Windows Defender to drop my FPS and lag minor other things had been fixed. I can now leave it fully operational with Malwarebytes Premium running as well. No slow down at all. All nice and cozy feeling protected to the max. 

Wow. all so informative. I am running the free version of mwb on my ancient laptop. (2011) -- system is rather slow to begin with and some AV programs seem to make it worse. I spent the better part of yesterday removing Avira - what a pain. I had to jump thru many hoops to get it off and finally succeeded, after going to their site and using a manual uninstall as nothing else worked. So then I tried to put MS security essentials on and it would not install. System keeps saying I have Windows Defender installed but nowhere can I find it. So tried to download and install that (so I could hopefully find it on my system) and it would not install. Also I believe it is for Vista and I am on Seven.  This morning I installed AVG and it seems fine so far but does want me to install their higher version for $100 annual. Not interested in that but did load the trial version which I will cancel before the 60 days. I tried to install Avast but it would not as it says I have another AV installed which I don't-I think it is seeing that Defender deep down in my system.  Anyway, all of this has lead me to ask the question about MWB serving as AV as well as all of its other functions. Looks to be the answer for me. If AVG continues to be ok, I will keep it and MWB - if not, away with AVG. Thanks to all for good info.  

You're welcome :)

Also be sure to check up on any of the "extras" installed by your AVs, like any "security toolbars" or "secure search" add-ons installed in your web browsers as these tend to be sponsored and provided by the likes of Ask, who are NOT security/AV vendors and are actually being included as a means of additional revenue from their "free" AV products by the AV vendors.  You can remove these add-ons and still use their AV protection just fine without them (plus the Web Protection built into Malwarebytes should be sufficient on its own, doesn't modify your search results or show any additional advertisements and shares no affiliation with any third party affiliates or vendors and ties directly into the network stack without having to install in your web browser).

So where do the add on extras show up? Are they "extensions". Not sure where to find them. Your last sentence sounds like I should really just stick with mwb. period!! Thanks again.

Yes, they'll usually show up as extensions or they may show up under add-ons (depending on your browser, also, as Chrome and other browsers based on the same Chromium source code support both extensions and add-ons as 2 separate classifications).

As I said, it's up to you if you wish to use an AV or not.  Honestly, given how much trouble you've had with several AVs at this point, I personally would recommend posting over in our General PC Help section by clicking here and letting someone take a look at your system as that many problems indicates some kind of systemic issue with the OS that may end up causing additional problems with other programs down the road, but that's up to you.  It couldn't hurt though, assuming you have the time and patience for it, and who knows, your system may even end up running better in general once they're done.

You can use an AV or not, entirely your call, and while we're confident that Malwarebytes alone is sufficient, we also have many very knowledgeable users here on the forums who still swear by using an AV alongside Malwarebytes so I don't want to say definitively one way or the other.  I just know that regardless of your decision, Malwarebytes offers great protection so using Premium was definitely a good decision on your part, at least in my opinion (though obviously with this being the Malwarebytes support forums and all, I'm sure it's not an unexpected opinion to hear).

Hi - to clarify - the premium version is on my Dell desktop - not the laptop. I signed on long ago so have it for free -- yay!! While I would love premium on both machines, annual cost does add up. Retired - fixed income unfortunately. Sure do appreciate all the help that is offered on this forum. It's the best!!

Totally understandable.  If there is anything else we might assist you with please don't hesitate to let us know :) 

By the way, just for some additional info (and honestly, because it's just really cool ;)), here's a prime example of what I was talking about in my previous posts about the various layers in Malwarebytes protecting against the different phases of the attack chain:

Notice the 3 separate references to how Malwarebytes Premium detects/blocks the attack using its various components.  It shows Malware Protection doing its thing to stop the Trojan directly, Web Protection blocking the Trojan from even being downloaded in the first place by blocking it at its source, and finally it shows Exploit Protection shutting down the attack after the Trojan launches into memory and attempts to infect the system, meaning any of these 3 layers would prevent that particular infection from taking hold of your system.

And even after infection, there's still the scan engine to contend with, which obviously detects all of the infection's components and rips them right out of the system to leave it pristine and clean.

It's really powerful stuff and I love it :) 

Edited by exile360