New version of Malwarebytes

I just got a message from Malwarebytes that a new upgrade is available and do I want to install.  In fact, I don't, because my Win7 system doesn't handle Malwarebytes' installer very well.  I always have to download the installer and do a manual install after I have deleted the original version.  Here's what I'm currently running:

image.png.c0fc242999d07cc00663e08794b3b42d.png

What is the new version and where do I find a copy to download?

The latest installer can always be found on https://malwarebytes.com or you can use the direct link of https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3 

That being said, if you'd like to troubleshoot why the installer doesn't work for you, you can try the in-app upgrade and then follow the instructions below to gather some support logs:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options
  3. Click Gather Logs and upload the zip file created on your desktop

Thanks very much for the download link.

Thanks also for the troubleshooting information.  Since I just had to download the support tool for another problem (?!), I tried the install.  It failed as I predicted.  FYI, I get a message during install, Could not delete service.  The installer said it had completed, but when I clicked on "Start", I got another message, Unable to connect the service, which I get every time I try to open the new install.  My control panel says version 3.4.5.2467 is installed, but I'll have to uninstall it and install from a fresh download.  On an earlier occasion like this, I have checked the status of the service, and by the time the installer is done the service is Disabled - I can't restart it and I can't delete it.  I ran the Malwarebytes Support Tool and attach the logs it has gathered.  I hope they make sense to you.  I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the new version.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I did the test we discussed, turning off WinPatrol before running the installer. Didn't help, I still got the install errors.  I don't know if this will help, but I used mb-clean.exe to remove the dead version, so I'm attaching the log below.  I've been told in a non-Malwarebytes forum that this is some kind of bug in Win7 and I ought to upgrade to Win10.  Which I will, someday, but not this week.  My immediate problem is solved, I'm now running 3.4.5.2467, and everything looks good.  Using MBClean even saved my license info!

mb-clean-results.txt

If this should occur again, like when the next version of Malwarebytes is released, watch during the install/uninstall process before the new version is installed while it's (I'm guessing) hung up showing its progress bar and check Task Manager (click Show processes from all users), and look for MBAMService.exe.  If you find it running, terminate it and then see if the uninstall/install/upgrade completes successfully and the software works without issues afterwards.  I've found that on my systems, often times when doing an uninstall or upgrade, that the installer/uninstaller will launch MBAMService for some reason, which prevents it from being removed/replaced, thus hanging up the process and (potentially at least) causing issues after upgrade.

It could be that it needs to start the service to facilitate the deactivation/unregistration of drivers or something, but whatever it is, it has a tendency of messing things up during removal/upgrade, and I've been seeing it with virtually every 3.x build released (and I've reported it to the Product team already so they are aware of it).