roybot

Setup & Transfer system application detected as malware

Hi All,

This has been fixed, the fix will be in today's malware database v2018.04.03.01.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

-Armando

My Samsung Edge 7 had the same thing pop up last night. For now I have disabled setup and transfer, not knowing what else to do.  Other antivirus does not pick this up.

I have the new malware database update v2018.04.03.01 and can confirm the issue is resolved.  The app is no longer false detected.

I just got the S9+ last week and got this troubling information last night. Add my name to the list, I literally made an account just to follow this thread for any updates. Thanks for all the comments, fairly sure now I didn't mess up anything. 

Is it really  a false positive?  Why wouldn't it be possible for someone to have put it into an AT&T app? I would think it rather ingenious

to put it in an app that can't be deleted from a phone.

Same on my Moto G6 Forge. It's the same as the Moto G6 play. The play is being sold through AT & T and the forge is cricket. Won't allow uninstall only to disable. Contacted cricket both over the phone and on chat. Completely useless. They said that it was my Avira software that I had installed on my phone. They said my only option was to disable it. These morons have never even heard of a Avira. One of them even said that perhaps if you upgraded your software to a paid version it might disable or uninstall the app. Hello! I do have a paid version you moron. Then all three agents that I have been talking to this week gave the final answer of perhaps it's Motorola's issue. Contacted Motorola they said they've been aware of this setup and transfer application, AKA Trojan Banker malware, connected to AT & T and Cricket since January 2018. Unfortunately they're unable to assist. Motorola tried harder and did everything possible. They did 50 times more to help me than the hour-and-a-half that I spend on two phone calls and chat sessions with Cricket and AT & T. I found several posts about the setup and transfer malware issue in the AT & T and Cricket forums. So they're well aware of the issue but still do nothing. can someone please please help me remove this from my phone. Is there any solution? I've owned this phone for about a week and so it wasn't a big deal to do a factory reset. I've done this twice now. The second time around I almost screwed up in the completely locked up my phone. Is there any help out there because AT & T, and Cricket for that matter, aren't doing jack with the exception of taking our money and casting blame anywhere else except for themselves.

On 4/5/2018 at 1:57 PM, KandS256 said:

Is it really  a false positive?  Why wouldn't it be possible for someone to have put it into an AT&T app? I would think it rather ingenious

to put it in an app that can't be deleted from a phone.

That was my first initial gut instinct.  The fact the the app (SHOWS) that is hasn't been updated since 2015.  I would think that someone is merely thinking outside the box on this one and would think about our reaction to it to get everyone to whitelist it.  Just for your information, I am a technician having to resolve a problem with Maas360.  It is showing that setup and transfer is a trojan out of nowhere?  What triggered this result?  Why now?  First Malwarebytes and then Maas360 both showing that the program has not changed since 2015?  Really?

I am researching and researching and my gut feeling is telling me that someone could be ingenious and figures this is the best way to hide something in plain sight.

Question?  What triggered this notification from an app that seemingly did not change to indicating that it is malware?  And why in two different programs?