3.4.5 bug notifications

Hi,

I've just updated to 3.4.5 and find a bug in the notification area. See file attached with three steps.

It seems that 'old' notifications cannot be deleted anymore, because they are not visible in the report section.
I cannot find related log-files either in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

Is this a bug or is there another trick to clear these notifications from the homescreen icon?

Hope to hear soon, kind regards, Wilco

Naamloos.jpg

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hoi, 

Quote from a staff member;

"Clearing the reports and or clearing your Quarantine table will not clear the entries in the Notification Center. Basically these are entries of your shown notifications for only RTP at the moment. That info is storied in a config file to report to the UI. Once you reach the max of 25 notification entries, they will be cleared in a first in first out basis. 

We currently have no plans in the future to add a clear function in the notification center. Since this is the first launch of this functionality we will wait to see what the user feedback looks like."

So, it's not a bug. Different things.

Regards, Max 

Edited by Max-H

Hi Max,

Thank you for your quick response and explaining.

In 3.4.4 this clearing function in the notification center was working just fine for me, but I understand MB now changed this function. 

This means there are two different (config) files which includes entries: 1. notification center homescreen and 2. Reports section
Both are now not connected in 3.4.5. Cleaning one doesn't clean the other one. Correct? 

We will see what other people find of this new function. In my opinion it's best if the user can decide what to do and not MB.
Why I want it? Privacy. I do not want others to view this log file.

Kind regards, Wilco

I also thought it was a bug, that's why i asked the same question with the response i wrote above. At the moment we have to deal with it. If you clean the reports, the alarm bell only shows the notification it self, not the content. I agree with you, it should be changed.

Max

Just now, MikeW said:

Sadly, I think this new feature is just another gimmick, I see no useful purpose for it.  Much the same as the unclearable  dashboard RT detections

I can see the utility in a feature like this.  For example, a user, especially one running the software on a shared system or who might have notifications disabled or leave their PC running frequently while away from it or who uses fullscreen software such as 3D games frequently where they might not see all events as they occur, might want something like this so that they can easily and quickly check to see what the most recent events were and when they occurred.  That's useful for several purposes, including discovering if a website or server is being blocked that might be related to a piece of software they use (such as an online multiplayer game or peer-to-peer application), or when a scan they left to run overnight (such as a full scan or scheduled Threat scan) may have detected something and they quickly wish to check without having to sort through and open a bunch of logs in the Reports list/UI (especially since the Reports interface doesn't currently provide any level of detail beyond the event type (i.e. "scan report", "website blocked" etc.).

That stuff can also be useful for a systems administrator troubleshooting a system and/or diagnosing a potential infection event for one of the endpoints they manage.  Again, it's a lot quicker to hit that little drop-down menu to see the most recent list of events than it is to sort through a bunch of logs, plus it provides a quick shortcut to the relevant location for the event, be it the Reports tab or the Quarantine tab (for cases where a threat was actually detected/removed).

I do agree that it should be easier to clear if desired, however at least there's the option to mark all as read so that the little bell icon loses the red number/notification status and looks benign/normal without having to address each individual event/notification.

2 hours ago, DutchTulips said:

Hi Max,

Thank you for your quick response and explaining.

In 3.4.4 this clearing function in the notification center was working just fine for me, but I understand MB now changed this function. 

This means there are two different (config) files which includes entries: 1. notification center homescreen and 2. Reports section
Both are now not connected in 3.4.5. Cleaning one doesn't clean the other one. Correct? 

We will see what other people find of this new function. In my opinion it's best if the user can decide what to do and not MB.
Why I want it? Privacy. I do not want others to view this log file.

Kind regards, Wilco

I'm still on 3.4.4 and you cannot clear Notification Center by clearing reports, it still remains.

1 hour ago, KenW said:

Running 3.4.4 and had a red mark, I clicked on it and the warning was a blocked website which then went away. Never noticed that!

Yes, whenever there is a new notification it will show the number of alert events within a red mark/circle and once the icon has been clicked, displaying the list of events/alerts, the icon returns to normal/the red mark/circle and number are dismissed.