ddc-mw-bs

DNS blocked by web protection when connected to openvpn via connect client.

After a frustrating hour or so of troubleshooting, I figured out that the MWB 3.3 web protection service was blocking all DNS requests when (and only when) I was connected to an openvpn network via their "Connect" client software. 

Turning off web protection resolved this issue immediately, turning it back on reproduced the issue immediately, so it's safe to say your software is doing something overzealous in the background, though I didn't see any explanation in logs or your support bundle.  An update to 3.4 did not resolve the issue.

Since I have no real need of the web protection service, I am leaving it disabled.  It was only on because I downloaded the premium trial instead of the free version.

To that end, I'm not that interested in a speedy resolution, or working with you towards one. 

I just figured I'd at least report the issue, and follow your support instructions to perhaps get you the logs you need. 

I did at least try whitelisting the majority of openvpn client binaries via 'exclusions' to see if I could give you something to go off of, but that didn't pan out.

I see one other recent post about openVPN troubles, having searched, so perhaps it's the same issue.  The log collection tool likely requires some work, if there's no trace of what's happening.

mb-check-results.zip

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Thank you for reporting this and providing the logs/info.  Hopefully it will help the Developers/QA in tracking down and correcting this issue.

If you would rather just use the free version rather than the trial of Premium you may terminate the trial by following the instructions in this support article.  You don't have to of course, just if you'd rather use it strictly as an on-demand scanner without any of the real-time protection components.

5 hours ago, ddc-mw-bs said:

After a frustrating hour or so of troubleshooting, I figured out that the MWB 3.3 web protection service was blocking all DNS requests when (and only when) I was connected to an openvpn network via their "Connect" client software. 

Turning off web protection resolved this issue immediately, turning it back on reproduced the issue immediately, so it's safe to say your software is doing something overzealous in the background, though I didn't see any explanation in logs or your support bundle.  An update to 3.4 did not resolve the issue.

Have you tried the update to 3.4.5?

Download the Latest MB3 v3.4.5.2467 CU 1.0.342 from ->>RIGHT HERE<<-

7 hours ago, ddc-mw-bs said:

q

Since I have no real need of the web protection service, I am leaving it disabled.  It was only on because I downloaded the premium trial instead of the free version.

To that end, I'm not that interested in a speedy resolution, or working with you towards one. 

I just figured I'd at least report the issue, and follow your support instructions to perhaps get you the logs you need. 

I did at least try whitelisting the majority of openvpn client binaries via 'exclusions' to see if I could give you something to go off of, but that didn't pan out.

I see one other recent post about openVPN troubles, having searched, so perhaps it's the same issue.  The log collection tool likely requires some work, if there's no trace of what's happening.

mb-check-results.zip

Can you please provide the version of OpenVPN client you are running? Also, if you have an older version (2.2 or lower) of OpenVPN client, please try upgrading it to latest.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, MoAl said:

Can you please provide the version of OpenVPN client you are running?

According to his logs this may be his version:

OpenVPN Connect (HKLM-x32\...\{F6FFB33B-40FB-4CE3-8650-0446E5BD5919}) (Version: 2.1.3.110 - OpenVPN Technologies)

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

According to his logs this may be his version:

OpenVPN Connect (HKLM-x32\...\{F6FFB33B-40FB-4CE3-8650-0446E5BD5919}) (Version: 2.1.3.110 - OpenVPN Technologies)

Upgrading to the latest version of OpenVPN 2.4.5 should resolve this issue. We've seen similar compatibility issues with MB3 and OpenVPN client older than version 2.3.

I am running OpenVPN 2.5.0.136 with MalwareBytes Premium 3.4.5 and I am still having this MWAC filter problem.

Why is this still an issue? 

Short of disabling the website protection, is there any fix available?  Thanks.

You should try version 3.5.1 of Malwarebytes.  It includes a lot of fixes for various issues, including some related to Web Protection so it's likely to correct this issue.  You can either download it manually from here or by opening Malwarebytes and going to Settings>Application and clicking the Install Application Updates button.