robls99

ANSWERED How stop popups for MW3 upgrade?

I never like to add software upgrades when they first come out particularly since I have had previous problems with MWB upgrades.

Most credible websites give you an option to check "Not now" or other ways to stop upgrade popups.

How can I stop these annoying upgrade notices until I am finally ready to accept them on My schedule?

Edited by robls99
spelling

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

You should be able to disable automatic upgrades by turning off the settings circled in the below image:

5ab6bb7f373e2_DisableUpdates.png.b3ff1d8e3bd7718df5215219f10585ca.png

You can also go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate and delete the installer found there if there is one (that's the location where new upgrade versions are stored when downloaded).

I hope that helps.  Please let us know if there's anything else we might assist you with.

Exile360,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I turned off the 2nd item "... full version updates" and  will turn it back on in the future at some point.

Re the 1st  item "... install application component updates", I am not sure what that is.

Does that refer to the latest malware list that it scans for because I obviously don't want to disrupt that?

No, that refers to other components such as program modules like DLLs, EXEs and other files that make up the software.  Sometimes they are released separately in the form of minor version updates/upgrades but I believe they also use installer packages just like full major version upgrades do, hence the reason I figured you'd want it disabled.

Database updates for the latest threat signatures etc. are controlled by the Automatically check for updates setting under the Protection tab.

You're welcome :)

Thanks, and you also.  If there's anything else we might assist you with please don't hesitate to post again.

exile,

I've got both boxes marked "No" as you indicated and I'm still getting the update notice just as before.

I've rebooted several times and both boxes remain "No" with no effect on stopping the notices.

Please advise.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, exile360 said:

You can also go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate and delete the installer found there if there is one (that's the location where new upgrade versions are stored when downloaded).

Did you perform this step above?  If you have self-protection ON you will have to turn that off in order to delete the file.

Firefox,

Thanks but even tho I am the only user/Administrator and do all the administrator functions on my computer, it says I need "Administrator Permissions" to delete it.

@robls99 if you're getting that access denied error, it's most likely because Self-Protection is still enabled. The best solution here would to find the Malwarebytes icon in your system tray, right click it and choose Quit Malwarebytes. Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate and delete the file listed there.

Full instructions for this can be found on our support site here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2142

dcollins,

Thanks for the additional info.

I knew MWB was a sensitive program based on years of experience with it but I am somewhat amazed at the variety of replies to such a simple request.

To tell you the truth, I'm scared of doing anything more at this point.

I'll ride with the annoying pop-up until next week and if I don't see any complaints in the forum, I'll download the latest version.