Just got a red screen in Firefox stating PC was infected and window would not close. Says to call # 1-866-368-2344. I thought MalewarebytesPremium would prevent this!. It certainly cost enough money!! Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this. Sorry if this is not posted properly but wanted to get out as soon as possible. Could have been from an email I opened from AllMusic.com. Thanks

Screenshot (38).png

Edited by Jackietools
picture

This is not a virus nor is it malware.  It is a fraudulent web site.

I have created a 1series of videos generated from these fraud sites for the purposes of recognition and education.  They are all  videos from real web sites.  ALL are FRAUDS.

All these have one thing in common and they have nothing to do with any software on your PC.  They are all nefarious web sites meant to defraud you of money. The objective is to, falsely, goad you to make the phone call and pay for some service contract for an incident that never happened.  From there they may continue to charge your Credit Card for other services, remote into your computer and do real damage and/or exfiltrate your personal data and they may use the information they obtain from you to commit additional frauds.

MalwareScam.wmv
MalwareScam-1.wmv
MalwareScam-2.wmv
MalwareScam-3.wmv
MalwareScam-4.wmv
MalwareScam-5.wmv
MalwareScam-6.wmv

I have also created a PDF ScreenShow of a myriad of FakeAlert screens - FakeAlert-Screens.pdf  /  Flash Version

Reference:   
US FBI PSA - Tech Support Scam

1.  Also located at "My Online Security" - Some videos of typical tech support scams

Thanks for the info and help. Much appreciated. I just can’t resist calling them and messing with them. Thank You

Yeah, No One should call them !

You stated ( paraphrased )... " I thought Malwarebytes Premium would prevent this! "

If you have the URL from the Browser History, it can be submitted in;  Newest IP or URL Threats ( as per the directions in READ ME: Purpose of this forum )  such that the site will be blocked and others will not see that malicious content.

Sorry. Busy weekend. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/emily-birsan-mn0003369779?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-03-23

Does not open to exact page anymore but still to an allmusic.com page but different group/person and no more fake warning.

Edit: Tried it again and actually opened to correct site but fake warning is gone, thanks.

Edited by Jackietools
edit

OK.  That site is NOT compromised not pushing advertisements that may include a malvertisement.

Is there anything else ?

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks

Thanks for reopening. Just want to add once again I received an email from allmusic.com (which I was signed up for but have since cancelled) and it again went to the same fraudulent website as described above when I opened a link on the email. I had to use Task Manager to close my browser (Firefox). When I opened it again it was fine. This happened with the first occurrence also.  Seems the first time you open any link in the email you get the fraudulent website. Just giving a heads up. I tried to get in touch with allmusic.com to complain but cannot find a way to communicate this problem to them.

I have tried NUMEROUS times over a couple of weeks period to coax a malvertisement from allmusic.com .   All I viewed were just normal advertisements. [ RE:  Website serving Malware ads

Please post that emailed URL in;  Newest IP or URL Threats  after reading;  READ ME: Purpose of this forum

Edited by David H. Lipman

It isn’t a link direct from the site. I think the email is sent by a third party that serves all music.com. I’ll try to get the name if I can. Thanks for the help. If I can’t get it immediately please leave this open for a week or two in case I get another. Thanks

OK, I finally got a FakeAlert but it was not directly off of AllMusic.Com and it took several tries.

I started with AllMusic.Com which then lead me to SideReel.Com and then I got a Microsoft FakeAlert.

See Post #6

The email I get is of new album listings and when I click on the first album of interest I get the warning. Glad it’s not just me! Advice? I guess stop opening allmusic.com emails? I wish I could inform them of this problem if they have any control over it but not a big deal. Thanks again for your help. Just makes me angry how they rip people off!

I started a conversation and we'll see if this can be mitigated.

I received a reply to my communication and was given permission to post the following...

Hi David,
Thanks for forwarding this along.

We've been chasing this malware via one of our third-party advertisers for a couple months now.
It is extremely hard to replicate but we've got several people trying to trace it.
We thought we nailed it when we removed one of our ad partners altogether but based on this thread it is still happening.

Please note that this is a concern of ours and we'd love to get rid of it once and for all.
If you have any suggestions on methods to pin this thing down we would be very appreciative.

< name redacted >
Senior Product Manager
AllMusic/AllMovie

Hello I just revived a similar ad from allmusic. I have done several scans and cleared my browsing cache and have not seen anything. I was on chrome at the time. Should I do anything else?