[ RESOLVED ] Access is denied installing Malwarebytes

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Hi , I am having the same problem.  I cannot run mb clean.  I was successful in running MB Check.  Can someone help me with this?

As background, I was running AVAST pro.  I had so many problems, I uninstalled it.  But, I still cannot MWB to update.

Thanks for your help!

• Root Admin

Hello @Mike_P

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

The team will also need the FRST logs that were mentioned in post #2 above...

You are going to have to start with removing Malwarebytes from running in Compatibility mode.

I see you are running MB in compatibility mode. Please remove those settings. Then restart your computer.

1. Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\
  2. Find the file mbam.exe and right click on it and choose Properties
  3. In the window that pops up click on Compatibility Tab
  4. Remove any changes there that don't match my picture below and click OK

596d154caf048_compatibilitytab.jpg.2f0b4

• Root Admin

The log shows that you're running our program in Compatibility mode. 

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe    REG_SZ        ~ RUNASADMIN

Please remove all compatibility settings from any shortcuts to our program. Then restart the computer and try again

• Root Admin
  • Solution

Hi Mike

I don't see any obvious infection known to prevent Malwarebytes from running or being removed. That brings to mind only a couple of other possible issues.

I see you have CryptoPrevent v4.3.0 installed. It's unlikely but possible that it's stepping in and causing an issue. This program has been tested though, and worked okay for what it does so I would not expect it to be the cause but if it's settings were wrong or messed with it could.

The other possible issue that comes to mind is some type of minor corruption in your user profile. Can you please create a new user account with Admin rights. Then restart the computer and log into that account. See if you can update or uninstall or run Malwarebytes from that new profile and let me know.

Thanks

Ron

CryptoPrevent is now on version 8, so I would suggest that the OP needs to update that at some stage. I run it alongside Malwarebytes Premium on Windows 7 without any difficulties. 

Edited by TempLost
Additional information