Trojan:Script/Cloxer.A!cl

My computer was running very slowly. I scanned with Malwarebytes and the result was clear. I did a quick scan with Windows Defender and nothing was found. I then did a detailed scan with Windows Defender overnight and it found Trojan:Script?Cloxer.A!cl. I allowed Defender to remove it.  I'm not sure if further action is required.  The PC is back up to speed. I did notice while it was slow it was accessing OneDrive, which I never use. I scan again with Malwarebytes and nothing was found.

I have run the FRST tool and attach the logs.

Thank you for your help.

Alex

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

MBscan.txt

Hello AlexUK and welcome back to Malwarebytes.

My screen name is Android8888 but if you wish you can call me Rui which is my real name. I will be helping you with your malware issues. Please ask questions if anything is unclear.

Please read the instructions carefully and follow the directions in the order listed.

Make sure to run all tools from the computer's Desktop and with Administrator privileges (i.e. right-click the tool icon and select Run as administrator).

Next,

Follow the instructions below to execute a fix on your system using FRST, and provide the log in your next reply.

• Download the attached fixlist.txt file, and save it on your Desktop (or wherever your FRST64.exe executable is located); DO NOT open or modify that file!
  • Right-click on the FRST executable and select Run as Administrator;
  • Click on the Fix button;
  • On completion, a message will come up saying that the fix has been completed and it'll open a log in Notepad;
  • Please attach the Fixlog.txt in your next reply;

Next,

• Download AdwCleaner and move it to your computer Desktop;
  • Right-click on AdwCleaner.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA (I accept), then click on Scan;
  • Let the scan complete. Once it's done, make sure that every item listed in the different tabs is checked and click on the Clean button;
  • Once the cleaning process is complete, AdwCleaner will ask to restart your computer, please do it;
  • After the restart, a log will open when logging in. Please copy/paste the content of that log in your next reply.

Next,

Please scan your computer with ESET Online Scanner.

• Click on this link to open ESET Online Scanner in a new window.
    1. Click on the Scan Now button to download the esetonlinescanner_enu.exe file and save it to your computer Desktop.
    2. Close all your programs and browsers and disconnect any USB flash drives from the computer.
    3. Please disable your Antivirus program to avoid potential conflicts, improve the performance and speed up the scan.
    4. Right-click on esetonlinescanner_enu.exe and select Run as administrator.
    5. Click Yes to accept the User Account Control security warning that may appear. It will open a window with the Terms of Use.

• Click the Accept button.
  • Under Computer scan settings, check mark Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Then click Advanced settings and check mark the following options:
    • Enable detection of potentially unsafe applications
    • Clean threats automatically
  • Click the Scan button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats.
  • Click Export, and save the file to your Desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Note: If nothing is found, it will not produce a log.

Please re-enable your Antivirus program.

To summarize, please attach the following logs in your reply for my review:
Fixlog.txt
AdwCleaner clean log
ESET log (if it produced one).

fixlist.txt

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the logs. The reports are good, the tools cleaned up some remnants.

Please do this:

Download the Malicious Software Removal Tool by Microsoft and save it to the computer's Desktop.

Right click on the executable file and select Run as administrator; (the tool will expand to the 'Options' window)

In the 'Scan Type' window, select Quick Scan;
Perform a scan and click Finish when the scan is done.

Retrieve the MSRT log as follows, and post it in your next reply:

1) Select the Windows key and R key simultaneously to open the 'Run' function;
2) Type or copy and paste the following command to the 'Run Line' and press Enter:

notepad c:\windows\debug\mrt.log

Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.

How is the computer running at this point?

Rui

Good news. Your computer appears to be clean and free of malware. :)

Run a program like FileHippo Update Checker or UCheck to see what programs need to be updated.

After doing updates you can remove the tools we used in this clean-up by running DelFix.

Follow the instructions below to download and execute DelFix.

• Download DelFix and move the executable to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on DelFix.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Check ONLY the following options :
    • Remove disinfection tools (this option will remove the tools used in the cleaning process).
    • Create registry backup (this option will create a backup from the Windows Registry).
    • Purge system restore (this option will remove all previous and possibly infected restore points, and will create a new and clean restore point of your system).
  • Once the options mentioned above are checked, click on Run;
  • After DelFix is done running, a log will open. I don't need to see that log, just close and delete it.

Are there any issues or concerns with the computer?

Hi Rui,

All now completed and thank you for your help.

My only concerns now are, as mentioned in my original post, I noticed in Task Manager a high amount of memory being used by OneDrive during the period when the computer was running very slowly. I myself do not use OneDrive; I don't think it's even set up. Do you think this is something to worry about re. any future re-infection by this malware?

Secondly, is it necessary for me to change all passwords as a precaution?

Kind regards,

Alex

Hello AlexUK,

I apologize for the delay in responding.

To answer your questions:

On 22/03/2018 at 12:52 AM, AlexUK said:

My only concerns now are, as mentioned in my original post, I noticed in Task Manager a high amount of memory being used by OneDrive during the period when the computer was running very slowly. I myself do not use OneDrive; I don't think it's even set up. Do you think this is something to worry about re. any future re-infection by this malware?

Concerning the One Drive issue, I do not use One Drive either, but it is built-in on Windows 10 by default. And No, this is not malware related.

Please read the information on these links and see if that helps you with the One Drive issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odstart-odinstall/onedrive-windows-10-high-cpu-memory/5dff8974-daee-4594-b633-fca4b295417d

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-high-cpu-usage-by-onedrive/

On 22/03/2018 at 12:52 AM, AlexUK said:

Secondly, is it necessary for me to change all passwords as a precaution?

Well, It's always hard to tell if your system has ever been compromised due to malware. However, it is always advisable to at least once from time to time change all passwords as a precaution.

Are there any issues or concerns with the computer or that is all?

Hi Alex,

On 25/03/2018 at 11:10 PM, AlexUK said:

Thanks for your reply,   the contents of which I have noted.

The computer still seems to be running normally at this time.

Thank you very much for your help with this,

I'm glad to know that. You're most welcome! :)

To help keep malware off your system below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer in order to prevent future malware infections. Please consider using these ideas to help secure your computer.

Keep your Windows Operating System up-to-date.

Keep your Antivirus program up-to-date.

Please note: Many installer offer third-party downloads that are installed automatically when you do not uncheck certain check-boxes. While most of the time not being malicious you usually do not want these on your computer. Be careful during the installation process and you will avoid seeing tons of new unwanted toolbars in your favorite web browser.

Keep Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) update and perform a regular scan to your system as it will make it harder for malware to reside on your computer.
A complete guide on using MBAM can be found here

A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one antivirus, firewall and scanning anti-spyware program with resident protection at a time.

Note that there are a lot of rogue programs out there that want to scare you into giving them your money and some malware actually claims to be security programs. If you get a popup for a security program that you did not install yourself, do NOT click on it and ask for help immediately. It is very important to run an antivirus and firewall, but you can't always rely on reviews and ads for information. Ask in a security forum that you trust if you are not sure.

A similar category of programs is called "scareware" or Rogue programs. Rogue programs are active infections that will pop-up on your computer and tell you that you are infected when you are not. If you look closely, it will usually have a name that looks like it might be legitimate, but it is NOT one of the programs you installed. It tells you to click and install it right away. If you click on any part of it, including the 'X' to close it, you may actually help it infect your computer further. Keeping protection updated and running resident protection can help prevent these infections. If it happens anyway, get offline as quickly as you can. Pull the internet connection cable or shut down the computer if you have to. Contact someone to help by using another computer if possible. These programs are also sometimes called 'rogues', but they are different than the older version of rogues mentioned above.

Another most feared threat at the moment is an infection by a Ransomware. A Ransomware infection is a program that ransoms the data or functionality of your computer until you perform an action. This action is typically to pay a ransom in the form of Bitcoins or another payment method. I advise you to read more info on this terrible threat here and here.

Please keep your programs up to date. This applies to most of the programs and all your Internet Browsers in particular. Vulnerabilities in the programs are often exploited in order to install malware on your PC.

Be careful with flash drives, as they can spread infections. See this post on USB/flash drive safety.

Stay away from P2P software; even with a clean P2P program, their networks are often riddled with malware.

Don't click on attachments or links in e-mail, and read your e-mail in text-only mode for the highest safety.

Don't click on links received in instant message programs.

A HOSTS file will prevent Internet Explorer from communicating with sites known to be associated with adware or spyware. A good regularly updated HOST file is MVPS HOSTS File, available here

For much more useful and complete information, please read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices:
So how did I get infected in the first place
Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

Hopefully these steps will help to keep you error and malware free. If you run into more difficulty, we will certainly do what we can to help.

Happy surfing and stay safe. default_cool.png

Android8888

(Rui)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks