Error during MBAM setup

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit - the MBAM install goes along just fine until right at the end. On the window where there are 2 check boxes, one for updating and one to launch MBAM, after clicking "OK" or "Next", the window closes and about 2 seconds later I get error attached below. When I close it, it comes up a 2nd time. Whne the 2nd one is closed, it stays closed. The MBAM icon does appear on the desktop after this faile setup attempt, and when clicked on it gives the error....

post-7246-1251137654_thumb.jpg

Error code 703 means: Error occurred expanding variables.

Try disabling any other security software you might have running when you scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

You may also want to add the following file to the exclusions list in any anti-virus software you have installed:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

Hmmmm.... there was no other security or AV software installed except for the Vista default firewall and built-in Defender, both of which have never caused a problem with installing MBAM before, and I've installed it on dozens of systems running Vista..... actually, on this particular PC, I had uninstalled an expired Norton trial, and then cleaned things up with CCleaner before trying to install MBAM....