I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and noticed it detected one file that it classified as MachineLearning/Anomalous.100%. It was able to quarantine it, but I was just curious what this type of detection means, since I have never seen it or heard of it before. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Greetings and welcome :)

That detection came from the new anomalous detection component which was recently added to Malwarebytes.  It uses advanced algorithms and cloud capabilities rather than traditional signatures in order to detect new and unknown 0-day threats.  You can find the setting that controls it under Settings>Protection.  It is called Use signature-less anomaly detection for increased protection and is located under Scan Options.

It's a powerful piece of new technology that one of our Developers came up with to combat previously unseen malware to increase the protection and detection rates in Malwarebytes.

If  you have any further questions or issues please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks

Does this type of detection require any additional tools to remove, or any recommended security setting changes, such as changing passwords I use on the computer?

Nope, not at all.  In fact, if the file detected was something you had recently downloaded then there is nothing you need to do because it probably didn't even have a chance to run on your system.

If you wish, you can post the scan log from Malwarebytes where it showed this detection and we can take a look at what was found.

I must add that this protection triggered multiple false positives for me today so it's more panic inducing than actually helpful at the moment.

It detected a C# application written by myself (96%), a game executable (japanese developers don't have a custom to sign their code - 97%) and several other third party programs which all show as 100% clean on virustotal and have never been detected as such until now.

Edited by Malebox

If you find a false positive, please refer to the information posted here and create a new topic with the requested information by clicking here and a member of the Research team will investigate the issue and get it corrected if the detection is an FP.