I'm a software engineer and have used MB successfully on many PCs. However, this Thinkpad T420, Win 7-64, won't run MB 3.4.4 properly. The real time screening functions are running and seem to be working. The only way to scan the C Drive is to select the drive and right-click to scan. The log of the scan shows some error messages, one false threat (I checked) and no malware. See attached. I uninstalled Total AV before running MB and rebooted. The Microsoft scan tools run fine and show no threats. I filed a bug report since it looks like a memory overwrite problem.

MBAMSERVICE.LOG

Can you please try running a rootkit scan in safe mode on this machine? There's a known infection that can cause similar issues like this.

If that doesn't help, please follow the instructions below.

1. Downloads and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and then click Advanced Options on the main page
  3. Click Gather Logs, and wait for the process to complete
  4. Once it's done, please upload the mbst-grab-results.zip file from the desktop

OK, the first thing I did after MB wouldn't run right was download the MB rootkit Beta and try to run it. It failed to launch. Then, I downloaded Sophos' virus removal tool. It found one piece of malware: KovterLnk-A, but could not remove it (although it claimed to do so). Taking your advice and that of the Sophos forum, I ran Sophos in Safe mode. That worked to remove the evil shortcut script, but not the registry binary strings that composed the malware. In safe mode, the MB rootkit found and killed the registry entries. Problem solved! Also, MB now launches and runs properly in normal Win 7 mode. BTW, the name of the shortcut in Startup was "rtefazug." It defied removal, even from Admin. Thanks for your excellent advice.

Edited by imon_2nd

Glad you got it working... there are some infections that stop security products, including Malwarebytes, from working properly... that is what was probably going on in your case.