"Open Program with..."

I had that Antivirus Pro and a friend of mine suggested Malwarebytes because it worked for her. Worked for me, too--yay!

But after I ran the scan and did everything necessary to remove the Antivirus Pro, another problem has occurred.

It appears I've mucked something up with my registry. Every time I try to open a program, I get the "Open with" dialog box, prompting me to pick a program with which to open the .exe file. Now for some programs, such as Word, AOL, and the like, it's no big deal. But for many, it's an issue, and I therefore can't open the program.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!

Hi hogwartsjedi and welcome!

If you still have a problem with Antivirus Pro, please follow these instructions:

To get you fixed up please follow the instructions here:

I'm infected - What do I do now?

And post your logs in a new topic here:

Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal or scanning tools exept those that you are

instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult.

note: if for some reason you are unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one.

If you can't even run HijackThis, then just post here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs describing your issues and an expert will reply with further instructions.

About "Open with", everything when you see this dialogue window, choose program with you want open it and put tick to Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. See this screenshot: ImagesHack

About "Open with", everything when you see this dialogue window, choose program with you want open it and put tick to Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. See this screenshot: ImagesHack

Thank you, I've been able to do this just fine with some programs. But with most, it doesn't work. For example, something simple as Windows Paint? Sure I can select it from the Open With menu... but I obviously can't open an .exe file in Paint, can I?

I've also tried to open the Control Panel, but when I do, I get "control.exe Application not found."

So what am I supposed to do, now that these applications can't be found?

Looks like your system is stil infected. Please follow these instructions:

To get you fixed up please follow the instructions here:

I'm infected - What do I do now?

And post your logs in a new topic here:

Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal or scanning tools exept those that you are

instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult.

note: if for some reason you are unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one.

If you can't even run HijackThis, then just post here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs describing your issues and an expert will reply with further instructions.