Nexus 6p Android Browsers Hijacked

I have Malwarebytes installed with real-time protection. I have done a full scan and no malware has been found. I have reviewed all apps and checked vulnerabilities and I don't understand why when I use Firefox or Chrome the page randomly changes to an iPhone or Samsung win page. I have actually tried a few different antivirus/antimalware apps on Google Play but am dumbfounded as to how to remove it or why it's not being picked up by the software (Malwarebytes). Is it possible that it's so new as it's only been happening the past few days that nobody is aware of it yet or has anyone got any suggestions other than doing a phone restore to fix this problem? The whole point of me considering using Malwarebytes was to resolve this issue and then I can consider going from premium trial to paid, but I don't want to pay for software that isn't functioning.

Thanks

Screenshot_20180313-134107.png

Having a tech background I figured I should be able to resolve this and after a system update and a lot of searching around, I found that some websites like redflagdeals in Canada and news.com.au are using ad networks that have malicious scripts in the advertisements themselves forcing redirects on their pages. This is why it was happening on certain websites only, although at first I thought it was random. Just thought I would update here what I found as I know how frustrating it can seem to not be able to determine the source of rogue advertising. Particularly because some malware and Trojans can open the door to even more sinister problems. You would still think with real-time protection from apps like Malwarebytes would still be able to tell when a website/rogue ad networks are forcing redirects in browsers.

• Staff

Hi @testerj,

These types of ads are browser related. This is caused by the way most browsers handle redirections executed by javascript code.  Most browsers don't do a great job of preventing these redirects, which also cause ad pop-ups.  Advertising affiliates are aware of this, and exploit this weakness.  Even if an advertising affiliate is shut down for using this exploit, they just come back with a different affiliate id and are right back at it.

The best way to block these pop-ups are to try a different browsers, disable javascript, install a browser with ad blocking (like Opera), and/or install Ad-block Plus.

If you encounter these pop-ups again, back out of them using Android's back key. Also, clearing your history and cache will help stop the ads from reoccurring.

Thanks for reaching out,
Nathan