MBAE 1.12 Build 37 - issues with Windows 7 and Google Chrome

hake

I am experiencing a problem with Google Chrome (32bit) and MBAE 1.12.1.37 on Windows 7 (64bit). There seems to be no problem with MBAE 1.11.1.79. I will provide more details later. I attach a screenshot of a message or protest by Google Chrome.

chrome_problem.gif

I have two Windows 7 (64bit) systems. One runs with an AMD Sempron 3000+ (64bit) processor.  Having this processor caused me a bricked system in January.  I had just performed a disk clone so recovery was easy. Microsoft immediately withdrew the January rollup security update for this hardware and as far as I can tell there has been no Meltdown fix issued for this hardware since. The Issue I am reporting here has not affected this AMD powered computer and MBAE 1.12.1.37 runs without any problems and with no error messages from Google Chrome.

The other Windows 7 system, the problem one, uses an Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2Ghz twin core processor and this has received the Microsoft Meltdown fix. I noticed that Google Chrome had a problem when being started on this system which was when the error message box was displayed. I did not immediately associate the problem with the update of MBAE from 1.11.1.79 to 1.12.1.37 (which incidentally also caused a difficulty on Windows XP) though I was puzzled that it did not happen with the ancient AMD Sempron.

MBAE 1.11.1.79 was reinstated on the Intel Prescott powered system and the issue vanished. QED: the issue is with MBAE 1.12.1.37. I am also surmising that the Microsoft Meltdown fix is relevant to the issue.

I use MBAE like an organist plays an organ with all the stops pulled out. By that I mean that I enable as many of the advanced MBAE settings as I can. When using MBAE 1.12.1.37 I noticed that disabling Anti-HeapSraying Enforcement and ASLR BottomUp Enforcement for Chrome Browsers reduced the number of instances when the error message box appeared but did not eliminate them. Setting the advanced settings to default made no difference with MBAE 1.12.1.37.

Please let m know what information you need me to provide to help you diagnose the issue.

I wish that MBAE's Automatically upgrade to new versions setting could simply be put to better use in preventing version updates. All it does is to cause the user to be asked if he/she wants automatic updates and then it updates anyway. It's a pain to keep editing the HOSTS file to achieve and then reverse that effect.

Basically I get the same thing on Winxp sp3 pro with google chrome 49.0.2623.112

chrome.exe - Erro de aplicativo

Exceçâo exceçâo de software desconhesida ( 0x0000409) em 0x00467f32

I might have to revert to version 1.11.1.48 unless of course someone could be kind enough and provide me with a link of version

1.11.1.79 .

Thank you.

PS : No problems with Firefox ESR 56.6.0, seamonkey 2.49.2 and opera 36.0.2130.80

Firefox updated to version 52.7.0 seems to be fine. So far so good.

Edited by Tangerine
Firefox update

Change to initial message: -

The problem with MBAE 1.12.1.37 continues. BTW, this issue applies to both 32bit and 64bit versions of Google Chrome.

To Tangerine, I would be happy to supply the MBAE 1.11.1.79 installer if this does not contravene Malwarebytes forum rules. Could someone in authority say something about this.

Edited by hake

• Staff

Hi all,

An update on this issue. We are still analyzing the logs and since we have been unable to reproduce the issue in-house, we are doing a couple of remote sessions with forum patrons to further debug the issue. 

We will be releasing a 1.12.1.42 version today, which addresses a new protection technique to guard against Process Hollowing. However, the newer version also does not include a fix for the issues mentioned in this post.

We are working on it and will keep you all posted.

Thanks for your patience and support !!

I reverted to a clone copy of the Windows 7 on the Intel Pentium 4 Prescott equipped system.  This copy was taken on 4 November 2017 and so predates the Microsoft Meltdown fix.  I made sure that Google Chrome was at version 65.0.3325.162 and other software was also up to date but with no additional Microsoft updates.  MBAE had been updated automatically to version 1.12.1.42.  There was no issue with starting Google Chrome repeatedly.  I then installed the Microsoft Security and Quality Rollup offered to me by Windows Update.  On completing the installation and following the system restart I attempted to run Google Chrome and the issue was immediately apparent.  This is clear evidence that the issue is triggered by the Windows security rollup which coincidentally includes the Meltdown fix.

Edited by hake

I have installed MBAE 1.12.1.43 and have not yet seen a repeat of the issues with Windows XP and the batch file/cmd issue or the Windows 7 and Google Chrome issue.

This post was followed by disappointment because after becoming dormant for a short time following the installation of MBAE 1.12.1.43, the issue re-emerged.

Edited by hake

After several false dawns, MBAE 1.12.1.48 has been installed and Google Chrome 65.0.3325.181 has been put through its paces without once triggering the issue.  I made Google Chrome perform the procedures which seem to trigger the problem, especially changing the site isolation setting and then causing Google Chrome to relaunch. This particular procedure seemed to be especially effective at kicking the issue into life.

The Google Chrome Strict Site Isolation feature is in full time use.

I have noticed that Google Chrome seems no longer to start with a slight hesitation as was the case during the occurences of 'the issue'.  This is obviously a subjective impression but to me it is just a little bit noticeable.

The Windows XP batch/cmd.exe issue also seems to have been resolved on both affected systems.

The MBAE advanced settings are once again all enabled, as is usual for me, except for the RET ROP Gadget detections.

Edited by hake

I too can confirm that installing build 57 has solved all my issues - MBAE is now working perfectly once again.  

I was also suffering the same "Unknown Software Exception" error - with Win7x64 using MBAE build 43 - on 2 almost identical Win7 desktop computers. 

The issue appeared to start after the Feb 2018 Cumulative Rollup (KB4074598) - and/or the update to Google Chrome v65...181 (x64) from v64.

Initially MBAE (build 43) appeared to recover after dismissing the error - but for unknown reasons the problem then progressed over the next few days to a situation where MBAE was loading into memory but failing to trigger when a protected app was started. Then the GUI stopped working - none of the shortcuts (desktop or notification area) worked and even running the EXE direct would not open a MBAE program  window. Finally even the notification area icon stopped loading. 

Alongside this I also began to experience Google Chrome crashes - which stopped when I uninstalled MBAE build 43. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling MBAE build 43, and build 40, but neither worked and I also tried a full uninstall and removal of all MBAE registry entries - but never succeeded in getting build 43 to work again. However installing build 57 over the top of the non functioning build 43 has solved all the issues - everything is now working fine. I didn't try build 48 as the change log didn't appear to list any fix for this problem - but maybe that would also have worked.

Setup: Win7x64 Home Premium, Intel Core i5 3570 (3.4Ghz Quad Core) - Ivy Bridge Chipset - MBAM v2.21.1043 - Avast Free v18.2