Deactivate Trial not working

Go to solution Solved by Jekko,

Deactivate Premium Trial not working.  I followed the directions on https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1033 but the program still says it's the Premium Trial.

mb3-setup-consumer-3.4.4.2398-1.0.322-1.0.4298.exe

on both my 32bit Win7 and 32bit Win8.1 PCs

And honestly, I'm not happy to not have a trial-free version to install to avoid the need to deactivate.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Staff

Hello @coyote2 and :welcome:

First, could you get the diagnostic logs requested from the automated reply?

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Also, do you see any notifications after clicking on the deactivate button?

Thank you very much for your reply, Jekko!

When I click deactivate I get an are you sure dialog on which I click ok.

Sorry I didn't run the scantool or the check; it didn't occur to me that this issue on a pair of PC's warranted that; I'll get back to you when I can find time to do so on these PCs.

Edited by coyote2
  • Staff

Thanks for the logs @coyote2, we will take a look and see if we can figure out the issue.

When you try to deactivate, is your user a limited/standard user or an admin?

I see logging that the trial attempts to end, but lacks elevated privileges:

03/12/18	" 06:49:59.036"	5430000	1ab8	18a8	ERROR	LicenseControllerCOM	CLicenseController::EndTrial	"LicenseController.cpp"	659	"Thread is not elevated."

My user account is the only one/the administrator.  But I see that if I launch MWB "as admin" the issue is resolved.  Thank you very much for your assistance, Jekko!!

To avoid a UAC prompt MWB is already set to run elevated, but it seems the method I used (the "RunAsInvoker" method) is no longer working with the new MWB version; I plan to switch to the more reliably robust ""elevated task schedule" method of avoiding a UAC prompt).

Edited by coyote2
  • Staff
  • Solution

@coyote2 - Got it!  I'm able to reproduce your scenario if I invoke RunAsInvoker to launch MBAM.  I understand the annoyance of not wanting the UAC prompt, but this does put your system in a strange state and as you can see causes problems with MBAM trying to deactivate a trial.  I'm unsure if you will run into the same issue with the Elevated Task Schedule method you linked.  I will report this to our developers but if you do see more issues in the future, I suggest running the program regularly or even "As Admin" as you stated.  ;)

• Staff

Because of the way that Malwarebytes 3 was designed, pretty much any action that would disable protection (like turning off an individual protection component or exiting protection completely in the Premium/Trial version, or in this case deactivating the trial) is designed to require a UAC prompt as a security measure.  It was implemented in such a way that you can launch the program initially without administrative privileges via the normal means such as the shortcuts on the Desktop or in the START menu or by double-clicking mbam.exe within its program folder because it calls the service, which has SYSTEM level privileges (higher than Admin), thus gaining full access without the necessity of a UAC prompt, however to do anything that would turn off protection, it's built in such a way that it does require UAC validation to perform any of those actions (again, as a security measure for obvious reasons so that threats or users without admin level access or higher cannot turn off protection or remove Malwarebytes from the system).

I believe that's why you're seeing the behavior you are when invoking the process with lower than normal privileges.  I hope that helps explain things a bit more.

@Jekko

I've now confirmed (on my other, Win7 PC) that if I switch to launching MWB using the "elevated task schedule" method (#4 at that URL, "The Task Scheduler Trick"), the trial deactivates perfectly.  Sweet!

@exile360

Ah yes, I see it is quite proper for a protection downgrade to require the highest priviledges.

Please forgive me, I do understand the motivation a software developer would have to not provide a trial-free version (and I warmly support this decision if it is the only way Malwarebytes can survive), but this hurdle you both guided me over in disabling the trial seems to me another argument for a trial-free version.

Edited by coyote2
  • Staff

Not at all, in fact there are plans for a sort of scan-only version for those who just want the free scan/remediation capabilities, it just hasn't been developed yet, but someday I'm sure it will be.  The trial in Malwarebytes 3 is certainly a great way to promote the paid features, but the intent behind it really is just a "try it before you buy it" thing, not some forced sales pitch or anything like that.  I know what the sales numbers have looked like for Malwarebytes over the past few years and all they've done is increase exponentially so there's no need to try to force the product on anyone.  I believe it just made sense to the team to design it this way once they discovered that most users didn't opt out of the trial during install when the option was provided previously so it was just a way to simplify the installation process.  And of course they still provide a means of terminating the trial at any point after installation (I know of some products that don't, which can be a real inconvenience when you want to turn the paid features off).  In fact, I was recently testing an anti-malware product from another vendor recently for compatibility with Malwarebytes and found I couldn't get out of the trial until it expired.  It didn't provide any way to end the trial early at all which was quite frustrating because I wanted to test the paid/trial features as well as the more limited free mode features but ended up just having to wait the entire time until the trial finally expired to test it in free mode.  That was frustrating.

I will suggest to the Product team that they prioritize the scan-only version or at least consider adding back the option to opt out of the free trial during installation, but as long as it is possible to turn off all protection, opt out of the trial and even exit Malwarebytes completely (an option many security apps lack these days unfortunately), at least there are ways to turn off the paid features to avoid issues if they're causing problems or aren't desired by the user.

Thank you very much for the reply, exile360, it was a delight to read.

I literally laughed out loud to hear there is a competitor's product with an inescapable trial mode (particularly given the potential for the security functionality of competitor's products to not play well together).

All hail Malwarebytes, what a priceless treasure for the world!

Edited by coyote2
  • Staff

Hehe, you're most welcome.  Yes, not being able to terminate an application, especially one as prone to interfere with other processes and programs as an active security app can be quite frustrating.  I'm not going to name names for obvious reasons because I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm trying to slam anyone else's product, but I will just say that I have noticed a trend lately with a lot of security apps where the option to completely turn them off (not just pause their protection) has been vanishing, and I am glad that Malwarebytes has not followed this trend.