Malware-bytes "Unable To Start Service"

Go to solution Solved by Firefox,

Greetings! Malware-bytes Support Staff!

So, I am having issues trying to start the (Malware-bytes Service). Yes, it is set to automatic. I believe I accidentally deleted some registry files with Advanced System Care Clean up service.

I used "MB-Removal Unity" However, when I re-downloaded Malware-bytes it still did the same. I tried using Orbits Advanced uninstaller still got the error after system restart and re-installed Malware-bytes.

Anyways, I made this a bit easier for you Staff as I already used MB-Check and attached files below. 

Thanks for reading and your support!
~Raz0r

Edit Picture Of Error: http://prntscr.com/ipwens

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by Raz0r

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello and Welcome...

First you need to remove the compatibility settings from both C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe and C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

Having those settings there will cause issues with Malwarebytes.

I see you are running MB in compatibility mode. Please remove those settings. Then restart your computer.

1. Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\
  2. Find the file mbam.exe and right click on it and choose Properties
  3. In the window that pops up click on Compatibility Tab
  4. Remove any changes there that don't match my picture below and click OK
  5. Now repeat the steps for file MBAMService.exe

596d154caf048_compatibilitytab.jpg.2f0b4

It appears you don't have the most recent version of Malwarebytes installed.  Please open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Application and click on Install Application Updates then allow it to download and install the latest version, restarting your system if prompted to do so in order to complete the installation.

Once that's done, let us know if the issue is now corrected or not or if there were any problems with upgrading.

Okie well I updated it and am still having issues, When I bought malwarebyes permeium it was working just fine for about a week, now its doing this.... Interesting. I might Refresh my PC that will def fix the issue. Thats a option I'd like to save for last as most software I have is HWID protected meaning if I refresh I got a massive issue trying to get all my software to get reset to the new HWID. If I cant fix it period Ill refund my subscription so far I have 3 days that I haven't had this Protection.

Totally understandable, and I agree, reinstalling Windows would be rather extreme and a pretty significant hassle to go through just to get a single application working so we'll definitely do all we can to avoid that.

If you wouldn't mind, now that you've upgraded to the latest version of Malwarebytes, would you please create and attach a fresh set of diagnostic logs as you did before?  It will help us to make certain that everything went OK with the upgrade to the latest release.

Okie, 1.) I have had this issue the day I got this on the same day already upgraded. 2.) I cannot even open malware bytes so how can I update if I cant even open Malware Bytes. 

My Correction.) I assume I have Malware Bytes latest version, Again I cannot even get to the very basic of even getting tmalware bytes open. 

Lastly, what your return policy on Malware Bytes? Sad to have to refund thought malware bytes was as good as you guys were advertising.

~Raz0r

@Raz0r can you get us a fresh set of logs so the team can try and fix your issue?  As for the return policy... I believe you can get a refund without any issues (30 days maybe).

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  6. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  7. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  8. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK"
  9. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
    • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
    • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

It looks like your WMI service is stopped. Please try the following:

1. Press Windows Key + R to open the run dialog
  2. In the box that comes up, type services.msc and click Ok
  3. Find "Windows Management Instrumentation" in the list
  4. Right click it and choose Properties
  5. In the window that comes up, make sure the Startup Type is automatic
  6. Click Start
  7. Click Ok

Once done, try to launch Malwarebytes again.

Thanks for replying @dcollins.

However, That is not a issue its already set to automatic and I cant even click Start service without getting a Error shown below....

http://prntscr.com/iqs97l

This is kinda abnormal? Maybe I am infected and a virus is doing this.

Edit: I used plenty of other AV, AM,AS, Etc... does not seem to be the case.

Edited by Raz0r
Edit

• Solution

Lets try this tool to see if it will repair your WMI service.

Run Tweaking.com Windows Repair All-In-One (WMI Repair):

• Download and extract Tweaking.com Windows Repair from here
  • Once extracted, open the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder and locate Repair_Windows.exe and double-click on it to run it and click Yes to the User Account Control prompt
  • Read and accept the EULA by clicking I Agree
  • Click on Jump To Repairs
  • Click on Open Repairs
  • Click the checkbox at the top left where it says All Repairs so that none of the checkboxes are selected
  • Click the box next to Repair WMI to check it and click Start Repairs
  • Once it is completed, restart the system and see if the WMI service now runs

Splendid!  That fixed it @Firefox Really Really Appreciate it! Could not thank you more! That software fixed a lot of issues  to be honest! Looked like there was just a bit of corruption.

Thanks you the rest of your help Malware Bytes staff! For you time and effort helping! :D

Officially solved!

Edit: last Issue below! ;)

http://prntscr.com/iqvs7h

Again,

Much appreciated! 

~Raz0r