Anorax

3.4.4 is freezing my computer

I am using Windows 10 64bit version. Unfortunately since installing 3.4.4 my previously solid computer is now freezing. Basically it occurs about 1 in 3 reboots of the PC and is a progressive freeze. So first I can't click the taskbar, then when when I try to go into Task Manager to force MWB to close it also freezes and I am forced turn the power off on the PC using the on/off switch. This is even before starting Chrome browser. This only started happening since installing the 3.4.4 update. For now I have uninstalled MWB.

I have attached MB check.

mb-check-results.zip

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I posted this exact same thing on another post with this issue. 

I to have had this exact same issue on more than one PC/Laptops.

The only fix that worked for me.

Restart in Safemode. Use mb-clean tool to uninstall MBAM completely. Restart PC back in Safemode and reinstall MBAM 3.3.1 then restart back in standard windows 10. do an update of the definitions and then enable web protection along with all the other protection settings needed again if not already enabled. This worked on 3 different machines.

I've managed to narrow down what is causing the system freeze. I've been able to repeat the issue simply by starting Chrome. So for now I have disabled Web Protection and will continue to monitor and see if it seizes up again. For whatever reason MWB 3.4.4 doesn't like my Chrome v65.

Edited by Anorax

And again an update of Malwarebytes is making lots of trouble on my computer. I have the exact same issue, open Chrome when Malwarebytes is running freezes the whole computer, nothing possible but hard reset.

Two major issues after an update in less than 2 months. Thanks again for this garbage update. I'm done with this now, this is too much of a hassle. I have disabled the software for now. My subscription will be cancelled.

26 minutes ago, JoeWhizer said:

Two major issues after an update in less than 2 months. Thanks again for this garbage update. I'm done with this now, this is too much of a hassle. I have disabled the software for now. My subscription will be cancelled.

I am not going to completely write it off just yet. My assumption is many people aren't having these issues otherwise the forums here would be flooded with these reports. I am paid up until August this year so they at least have until then to sort out their issues although hopefully they will fix the problem sooner rather than later.

Sure, but this is the second time in a short period of time their update is having a major impact on my computer. Last time about 2 month ago, thousand of users wasn't even able to start their computer again as mbm has eaten up the whole memory and freezes the computer on startup.

My subscription goes until December. I have installed 3.3.1 now again, as this is running very good. Disabling web-protection is not a good workaround, as there is already a known issue that sugguest you to disable anti-ransomware  in 3.4.4. What useful is a anti-malware when you have to disable almost all protection? ;)

Edited by JoeWhizer

Is there anywhere to download the official release of 3.3.1? I wouldn't mind going back to that as I never had any issues with it.

There is no official site I believe, at least I didn't find one. Really bad that they don't even give an option to downgrade to the previous version. I think it's good practive to keep the installation files from now on.

I have got the previous version here, there are most versions of MBM listed:
https://malwarebytes-anti-malware.de.uptodown.com/windows/old

I have had the version 3.0.6.1469 on my disk and compared both files and they had the same CRC. Therefore I believe the site is confident and I downloaded the 3.3.1 version there. Here are the results, the second file is from the MBM servers:

; Generated by WIN-SFV32 v1.0
malwarebytes-anti-malware-3-0-6-1469.exe 411490D8

; Generated by WIN-SFV32 v1.0
mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.6.1469.exe 411490D8

To any mod that read this: It is a shame that we need to do such effort to just install the previous version of your software.

Edited by JoeWhizer

@Anorax lets get a fresh set of logs to see what may be going on... please include all requested logs below. (make sure MB3 v3.4.4 is up and running with all protection modules on)

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  6. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  7. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  8. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK"
  9. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
    • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
    • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Edited by Firefox

I just installed the 3.4.4 update and it works fine with Chrome. Just after the update, I also updated Chrome from 64.0 to 65.0.  No problems with either.

5 minutes ago, pmcjr said:

I just installed the 3.4.4 update and it works fine with Chrome. Just after the update, I also updated Chrome from 64.0 to 65.0.  No problems with either.

wow, very helpful. Thank you sir! Good for you....

4 minutes ago, JoeWhizer said:

wow, very helpful.

If you were to provide logs so they can be reviewed they may be very helpful to fix your issue...

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  6. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  7. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  8. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK"
  9. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
    • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

17 hours ago, Firefox said:

@Anorax lets get a fresh set of logs to see what may be going on... please include all requested logs below. (make sure MB3 v3.4.4 is up and running with all protection modules on)

All done. File is attached.

mb-check-results.zip

Hello @Anorax

Let me have you run the following please. It will also run a Full Disk Check and clear your temporary files.

NOTE: The full disk check may take a few hours to complete depending on the speed of your computer. Please let it complete the task.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

If that does not correct the freezing issue then let me have you please run our MB-Clean utility to fully uninstall Malwarebytes and reinstall it cleanly again.

It's quite late here for me so I will check back on you again sometime tomorrow.

Thank you

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated reply

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Anorax

Let me have you run the following please. It will also run a Full Disk Check and clear your temporary files.

It's quite late here for me so I will check back on you again sometime tomorrow.

Thank you

Ron

Thanks for that. I have run the FIX as requested and have re-enabled all protections on Malwarebytes and ensured defaults are selected. I will use my computer tonight with Chrome open and see how it progresses.

Fixlog.txt

Edited by Anorax

If that doesn't work, please try the following (you can do it from Safe Mode if your machine locks up too quickly in normal mode):

1. Open Malwarebytes
  2. Go to Settings -> Scan Schedule
  3. Double click your scheduled scan
  4. Click Advanced
  5. Uncheck "Recover missed tasks"
  6. Click Ok
  7. Follow steps 3 through 6 for every scheduled scan you have

After doing this, please restart your computer and use it as normal to see if the issue goes away

Sadly following the above suggestions it failed again as soon as I loaded Chrome after getting home from work today and turning on the computer. It seems to be an intermittent thing though as I spent a good 4 hours last night running Chrome with Malwarebytes fully enabled after the above fixes and it was working great. So once again I have disabled Web Protection and see if I can get it to fail again. I will let you know.

Is it possible for you to send me a downloaded link for 3.3.1 official release. I would like to have the option to use that again as I know that works fine.

Edited by Anorax

23 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Is the computer still freezing now. Please reboot the computer again and let us know if it's still an issue or not.

Thanks

Just rebooted and first thing I ran was Chrome and it froze again. Message pops up that Windows has crashed and the busy circle appears when I try to click on anything. I've turned off Web Protection again as I need to use my computer. Chrome freezes of course and hangs when trying to load a page.

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by Anorax
Attached another mb_check file