Excessive RAM usage from unknown source

I have not had any problems with this PC since it is a fairly recent build, however recently I have noticed excessive memory usage. I have 16GB of RAM in this computer which should have no problem running most applications, but there seems to be something taking up over 12GB of RAM at all times (as soon as the computer is booted up). Task manager is providing no information as to what it is, so I can only guess it is some kind of memory leak.

Here is some more information about my computer:

GeForce GTX 1070
Intel(R) Core(TM) I5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
16 GM RAM
Windows 10 Home Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299

Attached you will find images of my task manager while the problem is occurring, at first I assumed the problem was caused by the Anti-malware Service Executable from windows defender, but I no longer believe that is the issue.

TaskManager1.png

TaskManager2.png

TaskManager3.png

Edited by JonahN
grammar
1 minute ago, Access Denied said:

In the first picture where it shows 80% Memory. Click on it there. It will sort them from highest to lowest and you can see what is using the most RAM. If it sorts low to high, just click again and it will sort high to low. 

It is sorted from highest to lowest in that picture, that's why I am confused. Nothing is using more than 50mb of ram

1 minute ago, Access Denied said:

Does it happen slowly after a reboot? Or does it happen instantly after a reboot?

Instantly, there are a very limited number of startup task, all of them essential to the PC

Edited by JonahN
1 hour ago, Access Denied said:

Have you tried to update to a new build of Windows 10? That one is from September of last year. 

EDIT: I have build 16299.251 which is current. I did a google search for 16299 build and it came back to Insider build from 09-2017

Windows is convinced my machine is up to date, i'm not sure why

47 minutes ago, JonahN said:

Windows is convinced my machine is up to date, i'm not sure why

Open settings, click on Updates, then click on OS Build info. If it says 16299.251 then you are. I was not sure where you got your build info from. 

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Edited by Access Denied
  • Staff

It is possible that this RAM usage is from one or more drivers which would not show up in Task Manager (though other tools such a Process Explorer might provide some detail).  It could also be that the RAM is being used as shared video memory with your graphics chip, a feature common to every Windows version since Vista where it utilizes a portion of system RAM as shared video memory when available and will reallocate it to other processes when needed (like when you run a RAM intensive program or do a lot of multitasking, consuming a lot of memory but aren't doing anything graphics intensive like 3D gaming etc.).

4 hours ago, exile360 said:

It is possible that this RAM usage is from one or more drivers which would not show up in Task Manager (though other tools such a Process Explorer might provide some detail).  It could also be that the RAM is being used as shared video memory with your graphics chip, a feature common to every Windows version since Vista where it utilizes a portion of system RAM as shared video memory when available and will reallocate it to other processes when needed (like when you run a RAM intensive program or do a lot of multitasking, consuming a lot of memory but aren't doing anything graphics intensive like 3D gaming etc.).

Thank you for the info, this wont impact performance will it?

Edited by JonahN
  • Staff

You're welcome :)

Nope, it shouldn't impact performance at all as long as you don't actually run out of RAM.  Many people used to believe that having tons of free/unused RAM made a system faster, but it simply isn't true. Unused memory is just memory wasted, so as long as you aren't running out of RAM when doing the things you do on your PC, you should be just fine.  When things get slow because of RAM is when you run out completely and the system starts having to use the paging file (virtual RAM stored as a file on your drive that is used like RAM by the system but is obviously much slower than actual RAM).  When that happens, things will slow down a LOT, but otherwise, it's a non-issue :) .