MWB 3.4.4 freezes computer

Go to solution Solved by dcollins,

I was using version 3.3.1 without any issue with the performance of my PC and Laptop. But since I installed version 3.4.4, when the computer starts, not only the PC, also the Laptop seems to freeze and stops responding.

I thought it was an issue with MS update. so, I made a clean install of W10, updated, installed my applications and everything was working great. But after installing MWB 3.4.4, I had the same issue again, and both stopped responding. After forcing reset on both machines and disabled strting MWB with windows, everything worked again. At the moment I disabled MWB and will wait, if anyone else has this problem. Maybe I go back to version 3.3.1, which was working very well and had no issue with the performance of the computer.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

For now I keep MWB disabled but installed. Will wait if there will be a fix for this probelm. Also tested with Free Edition 3.4.4 starting with Windows and the issue is the same. So I can tell you that this issue is not just with the Premium Edition but also with the free Edition. 

22 hours ago, JeffACR73 said:

I to have had this exact same issue on more than one PC/Laptops.

I had to open MBAM and disable Web Protection. Then restart in Safemode. Use mb-clean tool to uninstall MBAM completely. Restart PC back in Safemode and reinstall MBAM 3.3.1 then restart back in standard windows 10. do an update of the definitions and then enable web protection along with all the other protection settings needed again if not already enabled. This worked on 3 different machines.

But did you update to version 3.4.4 again or kept MWB on version 3.3.1?

MWB Free Edition 3.4.4 also has the same problem when starting with Windows. The free edition has no any active protection, but also freezes and keeps Windows 10 not responding.

• Root Admin

Well, it's probably freezing because someone has added entries designed to steal software on the computer. None of these entries are valid unless someone is trying to bypass licensing.

If this is your computer and you did not set these then I would suggest you delete all of these entries from your hosts file and try re-installing Malwarebytes again.

127.0.0.1 activation.acronis.com
0.0.0.0 keystone.mwbsys.com
0.0.0.0 keystone-prod.elasticbeanstalk.com
127.0.0.1 skipittok.com
127.0.0.1 lm.licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 lmlicenses.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 lm-prd-da1.licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate-da1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 na1r.services.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 hlrcv.stage.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 uds.licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 license.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 helpexamples.com
127.0.0.1 activate-sea.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 activate-sjc0.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 activate.wip3.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 wip3.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip3.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activation.acronis.com web-api-tih.acronis.com

• Staff
  • Solution

As @AdvancedSetup mentioned, blocking those activation servers can cause some issues with the application.

On another note, I see VMWare on this box. Is this a host for VMware or a virtual machine itself? I also see Acronis TrueImage running, can you try disabling that temporarily and re-enabling MB3 at startup to see if that fixes the issue? While it shouldn't be causing any issues, it'd can help us narrow down the cause.

• Staff
34 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Well, it's probably freezing because someone has added entries designed to steal software on the computer. None of these entries are valid unless someone is trying to bypass licensing.

If this is your computer and you did not set these then I would suggest you delete all of these entries from your hosts file and try re-installing Malwarebytes again.

127.0.0.1 activation.acronis.com
0.0.0.0 keystone.mwbsys.com
0.0.0.0 keystone-prod.elasticbeanstalk.com
127.0.0.1 skipittok.com
127.0.0.1 lm.licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 lmlicenses.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 lm-prd-da1.licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate-da1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 hlrcv.stage.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 uds.licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 license.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 helpexamples.com
127.0.0.1 activate-sea.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 activate-sjc0.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 activate.wip3.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 wip3.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip3.adobe.com  
127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activation.acronis.com web-api-tih.acronis.com

It is also worth noting that some infections have been known to add entries like this in order to prevent software from working and to try to dissuade help forums (such as ours) from assisting infected users in cleaning their systems by making it appear as though they are attempting to pirate software when they are not so it would also be a good idea if you don't know where the entries came from to make certain the system is not infected.  To that end, I'd advise trying to run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit if possible and remove anything found, and if anything is detected, post back the log here for review to give those assisting a look at what has infected the system so that they can advise the next steps to take.

• 2 weeks later...

Clean install of W10 in a new partition, installed all applications, and at least MWB 3.4.4 and starting with Windows. After restarting, still the same issue, slowing down the PC and needed to force restart.

Disabled starting with Windows, restarted and no issue and no slow down or non response of the programs. .  After 10 minutes I started MWB and until now working well. It may be an issue with starting up MWB with Windows.

• Staff

There is a setting in Malwarebytes Settings>Protection under Startup Options called Delay Real-Time Protection when Malwarebytes starts.  Can you try turning that setting on and setting it for something like 60 seconds and letting us know if that resolves the issue or not please?

Thanks

exile360

I set the delay to 180 seconds and nothing changed. My computer is still not responding. I thought that it works, but while a was running a scan, everything I was using stopped responding.

Uninstalled v3.4.4 and installed v3.3.1. MWB is working like a charm. No startup issues, no freezing or non responding issues. On my desktop I didn´t have any problems with the web protection using v3.3.1.

Waiting now for a new update.

• Staff

OK, so the issue is that if Malwarebytes is running a scan the system freezes, is that correct?  And also, if Web Protection is enabled, the system becomes laggy/unresponsive and sometimes also freezes as well?

I'm just trying to narrow things down to the components that are likely to be causing the problems.

For the scans, can you try opening Malwarebytes and going to Settings>Application and under the Impact of Scans section change the option to Lower the priority of manual scans to improve multitasking and see if that helps?

For the other issue, can you try disabling just the Web Protection component to see if that helps at all (it will stay turned off even after a reboot if you disable it)?  You can disable it by right-clicking the Malwarebytes tray icon and clicking the menu item that says Web Protection: On or by opening Malwarebytes and clicking the word On in the Dashboard tab where it says Web Protection: On.

If you just want to wait for the next release, that's totally OK of course, I'm just trying to troubleshoot this because unless we can positively identify the exact cause and get the QA team to replicate it, there is no guarantee that it will be found and fixed by the Developers, meaning it could still be present in the next release after version 3.4.4 as well.

Hi.

MWB still has Lower the priority of manual scans to improve multitasking  marked after install. 

I start MWB with Windows and the system becomes unresponsive. If I set a delayed start of 180 seconds, the system after a whiles becomes unresponsive.  If I start MWB manually 10/15 minutes after starting Windows, it works fine. When I start a scan, the system becomes unresponsive again. If I disable Web Protection, starting automatically, or  with delayed start the system becomes unresponsive. 

For now, I´m using 3.3.1 and it works like a charm. No issues with a nonresponsive system or system freezing while running a scan. Sometimes the web Protection is on and sometimes it´s off.  But works fine, how I want.

• Staff

Thanks for providing those extra details.  Hopefully that will help the Dev and QA guys figure out what's going on with 3.4.4 and get it fixed in the upcoming release.

By the way, I realize this may not be possible since the program is actually freezing the system, but could you try creating a memory dump of MBAMService.exe when the freeze occurs?:

Create Process Memory Dump using Windows Task Manager on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10:

• Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your keyboard
  • Click Show processes from all users at the bottom to enable that option and click Yes if prompted by User Account Control
  • Click on the Image Name column near the top to sort the list of running processes by name
  • Locate the MBAMService.exe process and right-click on it, selecting Create Dump File
  • Wait a moment while Windows creates the dump file
  • Once it completes it will inform you of the name and location of the dump file (typically C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Local\Temp\MBAMService.dmp
  • Navigate to this location and right-click on the MBAMService.dmp file and choose Cut
  • Right-click on your desktop or some other convenient location where you'd like to place the file and choose Paste
  • Right-click on the MBAMService.dmp file you just moved and hover your mouse over Send to and choose Compressed (zipped) folder
  • Attach the MBAMService.zip file you just created to your next post or if it is too large, upload it to a file sharing service such as WeTransfer and provide the download link for the file in your next reply

dcollins.

I found another issue which I forgot to mention before. When I start my PC with MWB, it drops or blocks my Internet Connection. But it isn´t any problem with my provider, because the Laptop with MWB disabled and my smartphone connect to Network without any issue. same happens with my Laptop when I enable MWB and start with Windows.

The same happens when I disable Web Protection. It still blocks my Internet Connection.

Can you please check it?

Thanks

• Staff

We'll need a new set of logs to troubleshoot this issue, please try the following:

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Make sure Malwarebytes is set to run at startup
  3. Reboot your computer
  4. Check the internet connection and make sure it's not working
  5. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool from step 1
  6. Accept the EULA
  7. Click on Advanced Options
  8. Click Gather Logs
  9. Once the process finishes, you'll have a zip file on your desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip
  10. Turn off Malwarebytes by right clicking the icon in the system tray (next to the clock) and choosing "Quit Malwarebytes"
  11. Upload the zip file from step 9 to your reply